Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 04:41 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I'd also be willing to bet that if a drug sniffing dog went through their apartment on one of those nights, that would expedite the whole process instantly. Sorry, but anyone with a lifestyle like that, probably associates with those who probably dabble on the wrong side of that argument. "Hello, yes my neighbor next door is having another wild party, but this time I think I smell someone smoking smoking marijuana too."

As they say in the south - don't let the door hit ya', where the good lord split ya'.
Well, that is super presumptuous. Just because they happen to be night owls doesn't mean they are using drugs. They are probably people who work (and are friends with those who also work) odd shifts. This could make them waiters, nurses, police officers, etc.

Now I am not excusing behavior that breaks any noise restrictions, but since the responding police officers aren't doing anything, it's possible that they aren't breaking the law. The noise may just seem especially loud because everyone else is silent at 1 am. But to assume they are drug users is a huge jump.

To the OP - Regardless of whether it's actually a noise violation or not, they don't seem to care about the neighbors. You only need to stick it out for 6 weeks. I would not waste my time with gimmicks to get them to stop, as they likely won't. I also wouldn't waste my time in court. I'd get a noise machine and some good ear plugs and count the days until you can leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 05:07 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,371,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I'd also be willing to bet that if a drug sniffing dog went through their apartment on one of those nights, that would expedite the whole process instantly. Sorry, but anyone with a lifestyle like that, probably associates with those who probably dabble on the wrong side of that argument. "Hello, yes my neighbor next door is having another wild party, but this time I think I smell someone smoking smoking marijuana too."

As they say in the south - don't let the door hit ya', where the good lord split ya'.
In fairfax county they do not come for something like that...

Old 08-12-2012, 06:13 PM

721 posts, read 1,211,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I'm willing to wager that Alexandria has a noise law that is enforceable.
Where can I find the noise law for Alexandria City or Fairfax County? I talked to a neighbor. He said he would talk to the landlord this week.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:26 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAlbuquerque View Post
Where can I find the noise law for Alexandria City or Fairfax County? I talked to a neighbor. He said he would talk to the landlord this week.
My google-fu is all powerful:

Noise Control | Environmental Quality | City of Alexandria, VA

Noise*- Fairfax County, Virginia

Old 08-12-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post

Thanks! In the first link, I've found the following useful information:

Sec. 11-5-3 Tests for unlawful noise. The standards which shall be considered in determining whether a violation of this chapter exists may include, but shall not be limited to the following:

(1) level of noise;
(2) whether the nature of the noise is usual or unusual;
(3) whether the origin of the noise is natural or unnatural;
(4) proximity of noise to residential sleeping facilities;
(5) nature and zoning of the area within which the noise emanates;
(6) density of inhabitation of the area within which the noise emanates;
(7) time of day or night the noise occurs;
(8) duration of the noise;
(9) whether the noise is recurrent, intermittent or constant; and
(10) whether the noise is produced by a commercial or noncommercial activity.

(4) Noise in public places. The making by any person of unreasonably loud or unnecessary noise, including but not limited to that made by the human voice in public places, particularly between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. so as to annoy or disturb unreasonably the comfort, health, welfare, and environment, peace or safety of persons in any office, or in any dwelling, hotel or other type of residence, or of any person in the vicinity.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:49 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,254 times
OP, people have advised you that you are in FFX Co, not in the City of Alex. So why are you wasting time looking into the rules that don't apply to your residence?

Old 08-12-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
OP, people have advised you that you are in FFX Co, not in the City of Alex. So why are you wasting time looking into the rules that don't apply to your residence?
I am confused about this. My community is located in Alexandria. But it's under the jurisdiction of Fairfax County. Which rules apply to my community, Alexandria City or Fairfax County?

Old 08-12-2012, 08:24 PM

31 posts, read 61,118 times
if you are in a part of Alexandria which is Fairfax County, then Fairfax County. If you live within the City of Alexandria, then the City of Alexandria. Sounds like you are in Fairfax County.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:05 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAlbuquerque View Post
I am confused about this. My community is located in Alexandria. But it's under the jurisdiction of Fairfax County. Which rules apply to my community, Alexandria City or Fairfax County?
Is your location within the dotted line?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=alexa...+Virginia&z=13

Also see: http://www3.alexandriava.gov/city/pl...eMap_large.gif

If so, you're in the City of Alexandria.

If not, you have an "Alexandria, VA" address and reside in Fairfax County. It sounds like this is probably you.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
Is your location within the dotted line?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=alexa...+Virginia&z=13

Also see: http://www3.alexandriava.gov/city/pl...eMap_large.gif

If so, you're in the City of Alexandria.

If not, you have an "Alexandria, VA" address and reside in Fairfax County. It sounds like this is probably you.
My community is not anywhere near the Old Town. My zip code is 22302. I did a search and found that I belong to Alexandria City County. But I'm not sure this is correct, because it's under the jurisdiction of Fairfax County (the police department that responds to noise issues is the Fairfax County PD. This seems a bit confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia