Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fill in the blank: I’ve seen more _________ yard signs in my NoVa neighborhood.
Obama 18 35.29%
Romney 33 64.71%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:05 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,827,358 times

Advertisements

I haven't noticed any yet, but there will be some (there was during the primary).

What I don't get is what's the point of the signs. I mean, did anyone ever change their vote because their neighbor had a yard sign? Or am I expected to care who others are voting for? Or is it something die-hard Democrats and die-hard Republicans use. You know, if your car breaks down and it's the middle of the night, you know to go to a house that's on your side? Or is it the political equivalent of "marking territory?" The whole thing just seems odd to me--why let someone advertise on your property for free?

I also doing "get" bumper stickers for the same reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 09:15 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,229,223 times
I've seen many, many more Romney signs. On the other hand, I've received four phone calls from Obama supporters, and none from Romney. Maybe Obama is using a different tactic in VA..........

Old 08-22-2012, 09:22 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,372,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post

What I don't get is what's the point of the signs. I mean, did anyone ever change their vote because their neighbor had a yard sign? Or am I expected to care who others are voting for?
I'm not sure either, but as I think about it, maybe it is the same reason people hang flags in their yard or put a bumper sticker on the car displaying a favorite sports team, college, high school, etc. They don't expect to persuade somebody else, but it's who they're rooting for.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:36 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,173,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Or is it the political equivalent of "marking territory?"
^ This one. At about this point in an election politics starts going to the dogs, and that's what dogs do. It's the equivalent of running around peeing on everything they can find. They also start barking all night long.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:03 AM

948 posts, read 1,408,835 times
Fill in the blank: I’ve seen more _________ yard signs in my NoVa neighborhood.

OK. Umm...mosquito control signs?

Old 08-22-2012, 10:31 AM

8,994 posts, read 21,237,527 times
Let's remember to keep this thread civil and local.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:33 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,924,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky★ View Post
Most NoVa yard signs: Obama or Romney?
Some say this is such an important election, but I read an article in The Economist that I happen to agree with: that this might actually be an extremely inconsequential election. There is very low enthusiasm on either side. I haven't seen hardly any signs or stickers for that matter. I think "we the people" are just exhausted at the discourse.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:55 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,332,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Some say this is such an important election, but I read an article in The Economist that I happen to agree with: that this might actually be an extremely inconsequential election. There is very low enthusiasm on either side. I haven't seen hardly any signs or stickers for that matter. I think "we the people" are just exhausted at the discourse.
What discourse. If they ever got around to having a debate in earnest I might have respect for the political system. They are just holding the people hostage, the whole lot of them. The answer isnt to bring in more people who want to hold it hostage though (something i think that the 2010 election proved as the wrong mandate) but who knows.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:01 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,326,807 times
I'm not a fan of median road spam, but I love yard signs. I always put them up (haven't gotten mine yet for this year) and I love seeing them in other people's yards, no matter what candidate or party. It's a reminder that this is America and we have not only the freedom to choose our elected officials, but also to talk about it. I lived for a brief time in a country that has only had two presidents since independence in 1960, and is only nominally multi-party, and where people are afraid to say anything bad about the current president, even in their own homes among friends. It was stifling.

As tgbwc said, it's who you're rooting for. I personally think it's depressing that I will see more Hokies and Steelers flags in my neighborhood than political signs.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:03 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,173,985 times
^^ I get what you're saying, cdmurphy, and there was a time when I felt that way. But not for many years, now. In the last decade or so, political signs just seem to start quarrels and invite petty vandalism. No matter which side I'm on I get depressed when I see someone's sign vandalized. I'd rather just not see any signs at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia