Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fill in the blank: I’ve seen more _________ yard signs in my NoVa neighborhood.
Obama 18 35.29%
Romney 33 64.71%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 12:33 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
It really made me think that, if you lived there and supported Romney, you'd go along with the tide, plant the sign in the front yard, and then do your own thing behind the curtain.
In California they called that "the Bradley effect" after L.A. mayor Tom Bradley, a black democratic candidate for governor, who was way ahead in the polls leading up to the election but lost to his white Republican opponent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 07:25 PM

12 posts, read 24,008 times
Neither, but I don't have one out there either. My husband (military) doesn't like to advertise where we stand. Won't even let me put bumper stickers on the car in case he drives my car to work one day.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:50 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I've also noticed they don't predict the winners of a race. Many times I've seen a candidate's supporters litter the roadways with hundreds of signs, but no matter how much they make the medians look trashy the guy loses anyway.
Really?! If a campaign has that much money to waste, it's surprising that they would consistently lose. People don't usually give lots of money to losers.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:56 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrwkids View Post
Neither, but I don't have one out there either. My husband (military) doesn't like to advertise where we stand. Won't even let me put bumper stickers on the car in case he drives my car to work one day.
I have bumper stickers on my vehicle for candidates my spouse would never support - so it lessens the chance of my spouse taking my car. :-)

Old 09-04-2012, 04:28 PM

163 posts, read 314,599 times
For Sale- Bank owned

Old 09-14-2012, 06:12 AM

414 posts, read 906,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I went through Hamilton a week or so ago. Hamilton is a very, small town in Western Loudoun. Last election lots of houses on the main street had Obama signs. It was kind of "we are the liberals" of Western Loudoun. I was surprised this time -- at least seven or eight Romney, two Obama. I also saw a couple houses with new Kaine signs but no Obama to go with it, which I thought was interesting.

In Purcellville, I lost count of the Romney. Didn't see any Obama.

In Leesburg, several Romney and about two or three Obama.

Now, down Route 29 a bit further, lots of Romney, including huge signs along the highway in people's yards. I am also surprised at the number of Romney bumper stickers I see on cars in Charlottesville! Of course, there are Obama also.

Living in Purcellville, and driving through Hamilton every day I keep thinking of this thread but by the time I get home I forget it again. Well, in Hamilton Obama is clearly starting to run away with the "yard sign" contest. I counted this morning and I saw a total of 14, not all right on main street though. The romney signs were out earlier, but have not grown in numbers much. Only about 7 of those. The Kaine signs are popping up now too, and those Kaine signs that did not have Obama signs to go with them now do.

In my travels in Leesburg I'm starting to see a big uptick in the Obama signs as well.

Waterford is another small town north of Hamilton in west central Loudoun, and that is also a very liberal town as well. Quite a few Obama / Kaine signs there as well. In Purcellville, there seems to be much less yard signs, but I see more Romney signs here. That said, I see far and away more Obama stickers on cars than anything else around town. We noticed how many Obama stickers there were on Cars when we moved here 1 year ago from Old Town Alexandria / Del Ray and were a bit surprised by it. Now that election season is in full swing were seeing alot more of them. But not too many yard signs yet. There is some barn I cant remember where in Northern Loudoun I think that has a giant Obama sign on it.

I think all of this is going to change though this week and next as the LCDC and BRDC are getting in like 5,000 Obama signs.

Another thing I have noticed out here, and fortunately I have only seen a few of these, are the very extremely disrespectful stickers on some trucks. I'm talking about disrespectful to the current President, and even one was very ummm for lack of a better term, Racist.

Here is another interesting gauge: For the RNC convention / Romney speech, NO ONE showed up, and it was not even on at a local bar/ restaurant. For the DNC Convention, at this same establishment, the Clinton speech drew about 15 people. The Obama speech drew over 50 people, all Democrats / Liberals. I was quite surprised by this, being in far western Loudoun. Ive always known that Northern VA (and yes this is still part of Northern VA as is Clarke and Frederick counties too) is more Liberal than anything, but I expected it to be alot less Liberal when we moved out here. While it is to some degree, it is still a pretty darn Liberal area, even out in the sticks, compared to many other rural places.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:30 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Really?! If a campaign has that much money to waste, it's surprising that they would consistently lose. People don't usually give lots of money to losers.
Sure they do. Plenty of people gave money to McCain in the last election. And I saw plenty of McCain/Palin signs on the medians last election. Neither money nor signs led to him winning. Same goes with this election--both sides have lots of money, but never the less one of those candidates is going to lose. Therefore he will indeed become a loser to whom people gave lots of money.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:37 AM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by United_Caps_Skins_Fan View Post
Here is another interesting gauge: For the RNC convention / Romney speech, NO ONE showed up, and it was not even on at a local bar/ restaurant. For the DNC Convention, at this same establishment, the Clinton speech drew about 15 people. The Obama speech drew over 50 people, all Democrats / Liberals.
Interesting. It never occured to me that people showed up to local eating/ drinking establishments to watch a convention speech.

Also, you mentioned that that only Democratic and Liberal people showed up to watch Clinton and Obama. You find that odd?? The convention is 100% geared towards liberals and democrats. (Same with the RNC convention). Not to say that those from other parties don't tune in; but I can't see a Republican call up his buddies and say, "Meet you at Glory Days at 7:30 for the Clinton keynote speech".

Old 09-14-2012, 06:44 AM

414 posts, read 906,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Interesting. It never occured to me that people showed up to local eating/ drinking establishments to watch a convention speech.

Also, you mentioned that that only Democratic and Liberal people showed up to watch Clinton and Obama. You find that odd?? The convention is 100% geared towards liberals and democrats. (Same with the RNC convention). Not to say that those from other parties don't tune in; but I can't see a Republican call up his buddies and say, "Meet you at Glory Days at 7:30 for the Clinton keynote speech".

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. What I meant was that I was surprised that no one showed up for the RNC. ZERO, and that so many did for the DNC. Not that the ones that showed up for DNC were liberals, or those that may have watched the RNC were conservatives. I did watch both, because I lean very strongly one way, but I like to watch and know as much as I can about the other side. More information, more knowledge, leads to more informed decisions.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:49 AM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by United_Caps_Skins_Fan View Post
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. What I meant was that I was surprised that no one showed up for the RNC. ZERO, and that so many did for the DNC. Not that the ones that showed up for DNC were liberals, or those that may have watched the RNC were conservatives. I did watch both, because I lean very strongly one way, but I like to watch and know as much as I can about the other side. More information, more knowledge, leads to more informed decisions.

Well, you indicated that it wasn't even turned on at that establishment. So maybe people were there to watch it, and left because it wasn't on? Or, it's possible that they knew the estabishment might be left-leaning (as they were tuned into the DNC, but not the RNC), and decided to gather together at a more conservative establishment.

As a sports fan, I'm more likely to watch a game at an estabishment that is supportive of my team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia