Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:58 AM

34 posts, read 43,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You have to realize some of these people responding to you can't afford to have a bedroom to themselves, as adults, because the only way they can afford to live in the area is by having a roommate. So for you to want one bedroom for every member of your family, when they are helping pay your rent, is upsetting. Many of them would love to go to graduate school but can't afford it, in part because they are spending their money on rent and they aren't getting financial aid. You have the same or more education than they do, so they can't understand why they have managed to find a job to support themselves and their families, but you haven't. I won't even get into the need to accept commuting as a trade-off for affordability reality in this area.

But to answer your question.... it is very difficult, if not impossible, to find a 3 bedroom place, in a safe neighborhood, with good schools, and an easy commute for under $1900 in this area.
That's a fair point, please believe me that it's not my intention to...I don't know taunt people or sneer at their situation. I asked a question about something completely different than what what's-his-name brought up and if he/she is indeed so upset about it there are other ways to express that than bothering somebody asking for moving advice and insight? What is accomplished by his rant? It's not going to change the regulations surrounding Section 8, and it won't affect anything I do other than typing a response. I don't know if you had the chance to read any of the other posts; had our request been denied, that would have been the end of it. It was approved because there is a genuine need, confirmed by several sources, for a disabled child to have his own room because of a bevy of equipment that he needed, among other things. Also, about...90% of my financial aid is through loans, which really isn't financial aid at all. The only scholarships/fellowships I've gotten have been merit-based for graduate school and while I did get fin aid in undergrad, that was all merit-based as well except for a Pell grant I believe. In short, I worked very hard for the financial assistance I receive so I have no sympathy for anyone who's upset about that. So in terms of an 'entitlement attitude', when it comes to my merit-based awards yes I do have one.
I applaud them for being able to find a job that supports their families, but I'm hardly alone when it comes to people who are not there yet. There are many lawyers, engineers etc. who are unable to find jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 09:42 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,198,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdc29 View Post
There are many lawyers, engineers etc. who are unable to find jobs.
You are correct; but not one of them I know had applied for Section 8 housing.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
You are correct; but not one of them I know had applied for Section 8 housing.
Well, unless you are so fortunate as to know every, single unemployed person with a professional degree, then it doesn't matter. I happen to know three; all lawyers (I don't really know any engineers). One got a voucher, one found a job and no longer needed it, and the last one is on the waiting list. So what exactly is your point here other than the fact that you're mad about Section 8 in general? Is there one?

Old 10-18-2012, 10:26 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,198,846 times
Quote:
Well, unless you are so fortunate as to know every, single unemployed person with a professional degree, then it doesn't matter. I happen to know three; all lawyers (I don't really know any engineers). One got a voucher, one found a job and no longer needed it, and the last one is on the waiting list. So what exactly is your point here other than the fact that you're mad about Section 8 in general? Is there one?
I guess my point is that one should be less concerned about graduate school, which is a luxury, if they cannot afford to house their own children.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:46 AM

16 posts, read 42,690 times
I think perhaps some people don't quite understand that with a Section 8 voucher, you don't necessarily get all of your rent paid for you. That $1,900-$2,300 is the total rent, and the voucher holder/renter pays 30% of his income towards that amount, while the Section 8 program pays the remainder. Yes, there are plenty of people who don't have any income, and the public picks up the entire tab in that situation. Personally, I'd rather these programs help those who are willing to work AND improve their job prospects through education.

As for the original topic, my first question is whether the voucher can be transported from Prince William County to another jurisdiction. I thought each county had its own waiting list and rates based on the current rental market.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I guess my point is that one should be less concerned about graduate school, which is a luxury, if they cannot afford to house their own children.
I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I will thank you for yours. A common solution to increasing your earning potential is to get a higher degree. Not everyone is able to do this, for numerous reasons. So I disagree; if they are able, one should be concerned about graduate school if they see it as a way to not only no longer need public assistance, but not have to scrape by from paycheck to paycheck. Graduate school aside, I work in DC anyways. But none of this...is what the thread is about

Old 10-18-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrie0425 View Post
I think perhaps some people don't quite understand that with a Section 8 voucher, you don't necessarily get all of your rent paid for you. That $1,900-$2,300 is the total rent, and the voucher holder/renter pays 30% of his income towards that amount, while the Section 8 program pays the remainder. Yes, there are plenty of people who don't have any income, and the public picks up the entire tab in that situation. Personally, I'd rather these programs help those who are willing to work AND improve their job prospects through education.

As for the original topic, my first question is whether the voucher can be transported from Prince William County to another jurisdiction. I thought each county had its own waiting list and rates based on the current rental market.
Thanks for pointing that out; I was operating under the belief that people knew that but it could be that they don't and think that Sec 8 is picking up the whole tab. As for portability yep each county has waiting lists and rates. I don't know about other areas but I think the waiting lists are closed in NOVA and the lists are as long as five years . But the waiting list (usually) applies to the issuance of new vouchers, not transferring one. That's not always the case; NYC for example is not allowing any vouchers to be issued or transferred in. Rates are based on the HUD's calculation for fair rent (which serves as a base) plus or minus a percentage for the area. I've noticed that NOVA is often grouped as one big area, which is why all the counties here have the same rate. DC's depends on the neighborhood. Something like...$1791 for Anacostia and $2300 for Georgetown (ha!).

Old 10-18-2012, 12:49 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,964,771 times
Should be able to find a 3 br home in Springfield near 395 for around that rate, or right around edsall. School populations are quite diverse (and test scores show that diversity), but the schools in general do a good job with the students they are entrusted. Some schools/neighborhoods are better than others; you'd have to do the background research to determine what you're comfortable with.

I searched padmapper.com and found quite a few options.

Examples:

LOVELY NEIGHBORHOOD IN THE HEART OF N. SP in SPRINGFIELD, VA | RentalHomesPlus.com
SFH near 395 Edsall Rd & Van Dorn Metro
5200 Lonsdale Dr, Springfield, VA | Powered by Postlets
7432 Hastings St, Springfield, VA | Powered by Postlets

Old 10-18-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Should be able to find a 3 br home in Springfield near 395 for around that rate, or right around edsall. School populations are quite diverse (and test scores show that diversity), but the schools in general do a good job with the students they are entrusted. Some schools/neighborhoods are better than others; you'd have to do the background research to determine what you're comfortable with.

I searched padmapper.com and found quite a few options.

Examples:

LOVELY NEIGHBORHOOD IN THE HEART OF N. SP in SPRINGFIELD, VA | RentalHomesPlus.com
SFH near 395 Edsall Rd & Van Dorn Metro
5200 Lonsdale Dr, Springfield, VA | Powered by Postlets
7432 Hastings St, Springfield, VA | Powered by Postlets
Thank you! That is very, very helpful information! Test scores are a bit of a mixed bag. They're good for ballparking things but there's always so many factors that go into high and low test scores, and not all of them are within the school's control (parental involvement). I will look at these

Old 03-03-2013, 08:31 AM

5 posts, read 33,438 times
Quote:
I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I will thank you for yours. A common solution to increasing your earning potential is to get a higher degree. Not everyone is able to do this, for numerous reasons. So I disagree; if they are able, one should be concerned about graduate school if they see it as a way to not only no longer need public assistance, but not have to scrape by from paycheck to paycheck. Graduate school aside, I work in DC anyways. But none of this...is what the thread is about
I can't believe some of these posts. The section 8 program is for a person to better their current life situation . I have been on section for couple of years . Based on my income in Charlottesville,VA my rent was $800 but I paid $600 which is what I could afford and the program paid the rest for me. This helped me provide a safe home for myself and daughter while I went to community college and working a full time job. I don't mind government programs that helps you get a better life . I Know a friend who started as a homeless person and receive their GED , then went to community college . He then got a decent job so he could pay most of his rent then the program allowed him to get his bachelor. This process took him around 6 years . Today he is making a very good income and is no longer on the program. Now his tax dollar are going back to someone else. Not everyone in a graduate program can get on section 8 but if you are low income there are few exceptions ; in most cases you must work full time while attending . This is a better investment from the government, is well worth it for taxpayers and the recipient . We should encourage people trying to better their life instead of spending their time collecting welfare. This is why we need welfare reform so people like this won't be crucified for millions of others collecting welfare and not making a change in their life. It actually cost less to do it this way.
This lady is asking for advice and we should help her . She is not responsible for the program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia