Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 04:29 PM

34 posts, read 43,419 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Dumfries, VA, but work and go to graduate school in DC. The travel time, as well as the transportation expenses are becoming a real pain. Days I have class, I need to drive into DC, pay for parking and drive back. I also have two children so the extra time it eats up is a bummer. Like many Section 8 participants, I've found it extremely difficult to rent in the past. Correction: I've found it difficult to get a potential landlord to actually give me the time of day. Once I've done that it's usually been fairly easy convincing them to rent to me. The Section 8 rates aren't terrible (about 1900-2300 for a 3BR depending on the neighborhood). After reading some responses in the DC section, I decided to take them up on their advice and cross post in NOVA. Here the rent drops by a few hundred dollars; we'd be looking in the $1900 range. Any advice for someone considering moving but would like a safe neighborhood with decent schools with a reasonable commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 06:00 PM

9,895 posts, read 14,186,682 times
(as you copied your exact post from the DC forum to here, I will copy my exact reply.)

Wow. I am shocked. We provide Section 8 government assistance to someone who is going to graduate school? Someone who is already educated enough to have a decent paying position? Someone who could get their graduate degree online (in the evenings), while working, saving the taxpayers' money?

I'm also shocked at the "entitlement" attitude of someone looking for a 3-bedroom. Have you children share a bedroom, like the rest of the people who don't take government assistance to live in this expensive area. Why should I be paying you to live in a $2300 apartment, when I can only afford $1500? Or $500? Ridiculous!

Old 10-17-2012, 07:11 PM

15,161 posts, read 27,884,611 times
I obviously have no clue how Section 8 works: you can work, go to graduate school, have children (who I guess need a bedroom each?), and get paid?????????

Old 10-17-2012, 07:18 PM

97 posts, read 264,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I obviously have no clue how Section 8 works: you can work, go to graduate school, have children (who I guess need a bedroom each?), and get paid?????????
Sign me up.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:43 AM

6,579 posts, read 8,441,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandBack-DoorsClosing View Post
Sign me up.
Me, too!

Old 10-18-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
(as you copied your exact post from the DC forum to here, I will copy my exact reply.)

Wow. I am shocked. We provide Section 8 government assistance to someone who is going to graduate school? Someone who is already educated enough to have a decent paying position? Someone who could get their graduate degree online (in the evenings), while working, saving the taxpayers' money?

I'm also shocked at the "entitlement" attitude of someone looking for a 3-bedroom. Have you children share a bedroom, like the rest of the people who don't take government assistance to live in this expensive area. Why should I be paying you to live in a $2300 apartment, when I can only afford $1500? Or $500? Ridiculous!
And as I told you in my DC post, I will tell you the same thing: Please go find something else to do with your time. If you feel so strongly about it, write a letter, start your own thread or..anything else really.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
No, that's not how Section 8 works. The rules stipulate that all adults in the house HAVE to work, or be in school. If you're not, you have to make a very compelling case for why that's so. Going to school is encouraged; why is that you may ask? Because the more education you have, the more likely you are to be able to get a job that would allow you to not need Section 8. Obviously children do not need a bedroom/bathroom each. Section 8 mandates that children share rooms. We petitioned because my son is disabled for his own space. And it was no easy task. In addition to the records from his psychiatrist, we had to pull years' worth of information from other doctors, and go to Children's National for a special evaluation. So they're not handing out exceptions like they're candy. You have to find a house within a certain allotted amount. I simply got lucky; the man who I rent from inherited the place, and so he couldn't care less what the actual rent was (either way he makes money). Recipients can't deny the value of Section 8, but it's not an easy program to deal with. I don't actually understand how other recipients who haven't had the opportunity to become better educated deal with it. The only reason I manage is b/c I'm a public servant and read through tons of documents written in obtuse language all the time. Your privacy is virtually nonexistent as they can come to, and in your house at any time without any notification (I think this is to catch people they suspect are abusing the program) and oftentimes the mandatory trainings and certifications are arranged with no prior notice. Maybe they do this because a lot of Sec 8 people aren't employed so it doesn't matter but I've had to go to my supervisor or professors many-a-time to explain that I would have to miss class/work for these meetings. For me, the costs outweigh the benefits and the majority of these practices were put in place to curb the rampant abuse in the system (but I have doubts as to their efficacy). Hope that sheds some light on how Sec 8 works

Old 10-18-2012, 08:00 AM

20,133 posts, read 16,222,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdc29 View Post
And as I told you in my DC post, I will tell you the same thing: Please go find something else to do with your time. If you feel so strongly about it, write a letter, start your own thread or..anything else really.
You have to realize some of these people responding to you can't afford to have a bedroom to themselves, as adults, because the only way they can afford to live in the area is by having a roommate. So for you to want one bedroom for every member of your family, when they are helping pay your rent, is upsetting. Many of them would love to go to graduate school but can't afford it, in part because they are spending their money on rent and they aren't getting financial aid. You have the same or more education than they do, so they can't understand why they have managed to find a job to support themselves and their families, but you haven't. I won't even get into the need to accept commuting as a trade-off for affordability reality in this area.

But to answer your question.... it is very difficult, if not impossible, to find a 3 bedroom place, in a safe neighborhood, with good schools, and an easy commute for under $1900 in this area.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:09 AM

20,133 posts, read 16,222,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdc29 View Post
For me, the costs outweigh the benefits
Then get the *beep* off it. You're a public servant? I am more than a little troubled that you are a little too proficient at working through the rules.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Then get the *beep* off it. You're a public servant? I am more than a little troubled that you are a little too proficient at working through the rules.
I'm sorry I mis-typed I meant the benefits outweigh the cost. And if by 'working through the rules' you mean complying with them then I'm not sure why you're troubled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia