Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 09:22 AM

34 posts, read 43,265 times

Advertisements

No but it is one thing to be able to find someone to help you out for six hours a week, and an entirely different matter to find someone to watch them while you take on a second job. I'm hard pressed to believe you actually see the two as comparable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 09:41 AM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdc29 View Post
No but it is one thing to be able to find someone to help you out for six hours a week, and an entirely different matter to find someone to watch them while you take on a second job. I'm hard pressed to believe you actually see the two as comparable.
Once again, those 6 hours could be used making additional money (house cleaning, pet walking, etc).

It is not the responsibility of the government (i.e. ME) to make it easier for you to get your MBA.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:01 AM

I realize now that the conclusion I reached when this thread went cold the first time still holds. If I had a second job and turned to government assistance for help with childcare assistance, you'd simply have a new topic to complain about. I still don't quite recall where I EVER said, that it is the government's responsibility to do anything. A program designed to help people had an opening, I applied. I never said this was something I was owed by the taxpayers. Besides, the thread is not about the responsibility of the government do anything, it was advice for relocating. Which you have never given, just complaint after complaint after complaint. Even when your...faulty logic was countered, you simply reverted to the same old line. So you've made your point, you don't like government assistance programs we all understand. I owe you no explanation whatsoever...it is what it is. And if you're truly that upset, I suggest you go lobby for change. Not hijack threads looking for moving advice with your vitriol.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Even when your...faulty logic was countered, you simply reverted to the same old line.
When was my "faulty logic" countered? I have an opinion, you don't agree with it. You have an opinion, I don't agree with it. I don't recall any "faulty logic".

Old 03-06-2013, 10:27 AM

Your faulty logic was countered several times. Your selective way of explaining employment prospects, your counter-intuitive approach to remaining poor for time immemorial v. receiving help for a little bit of time and then giving back to society, the sweeping generalizations you've made to support your claims (even going so far as to call me "entitled" when you actually didn't know what you were talking about) are a few examples. That's what I mean by faulty logic. You're correct that you are entitled to your opinion; what you are not entitled to however is a misrepresentation of facts. And that is precisely what you have done on several occasions.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Your faulty logic was countered several times. Your selective way of explaining employment prospects, your counter-intuitive approach to remaining poor for time immemorial v. receiving help for a little bit of time and then giving back to society, the sweeping generalizations you've made to support your claims (even going so far as to call me "entitled" when you actually didn't know what you were talking about) are a few examples. That's what I mean by faulty logic. You're correct that you are entitled to your opinion; what you are not entitled to however is a misrepresentation of facts. And that is precisely what you have done on several occasions.
Let's be very clear here. First, I've NEVER said anything against the idea that helping people for a little bit of time in order to improve is better than having someone remain poor forever. I'm consistently maintained that I do not feel the GOVERNMENT should do it. (Also, I love that you now add in the bit about "then giving back to society". I'd love to see statistics showing the percentage of assistance receipients who then "give back to society".)

Secondly, I've never "selectively explained employment prospects". I've indicated that having a MBA does not necessarily guarantee any more money that a Bachelor's degree. I've also indicated that a graduate degree is a luxury that most people in this country do not have. From that, I have stated that I do not feel it is prudent for the government to spend my money assisting people to get a luxury, which in no way guarantees to put that person in a different financial situation as before the degree.

And as for the "entitled" comment, it was in refernce to you looking for a 3 bedroom apartment. Well, with my money, you should sleep on the couch. When it's your money, you can have all the bedrooms you want.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:00 AM

I "now" add in the bit about giving back to society? Go and click back a few pages there, you will see where I stated plainly that when I graduated and was doling out all that tax money I'd be more than happy to because I actually understand the benefit of some of these programs. I don't know what the statistics are for assistance recipients who give back to society; I cannot nor will I attempt to speak on behalf of many (something you should try sometime). I only know what MY intentions are.

You have indeed selectively explained employment prospects. You rattle off percentages of people "you know" while leaving out other key facts of information. I already explained to you that in the sector I happen to work in, yes a Master's degree (not just an MBA does GUARANTEE you a higher salary, it is mandated). In general, a Master's degree will translate to higher earnings than a Bachelor's degree, similar to the way that a Bachelor's degree translates into (much) higher earnings than a High School Diploma. Whether or not a graduate degree is a luxury is an OPINION, not a fact. The reason I'm eligible for the program is not because I'm pursuing an MBA, it's because of my income. So, I could be working, TRY to find work in those few spare hours as you've mentioned, require additional assistance in the form of a child care voucher, and STILL qualify for housing assistance because the money would not equal enough to disqualify from the program. Are you even aware of the federal poverty limits? I don't think so. So in short, once again because for some reason this fact seems lost on you, the government is not spending your money assisting me in my pursuit of what you deem a luxury. It is something completely separate that I decided to pursue to achieve a goal I set for myself. And it does guarantee that I (again speaking only for myself) will be put in a different financial situation.

And back to your issue with the 3BR. First of all, like I've said many times I don't make these rules. It's what was assigned after all of the paperwork was submitted and assessed. Entitlement is defined as having the right to something. I'm sorry, can you find the part where I said I had an explicit right to a 3BR? I don't recall saying that. If there was a 2BR, or a 1BR that was within the ALLOWABLE RENT for that bedroom size, of course I would take it. So again, please refrain from speaking on matters that you know nothing about. You can voice your opinion all you want, such is your right. But taking assumptions and presenting them as facts is another ballpark.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Whether or not a graduate degree is a luxury is an OPINION, not a fact.
Why don't we ask the 180 million adults over 25 in the US who do not have one if it's a luxury or not? It can't be a necessity if only 10% of people have it.

(And because you CHOOSE a career that may require it, it does not mean it is not a luxury. You could have chosen a thousand other paths.)

Old 03-06-2013, 11:48 AM

It boils down to semantics, and that is a subjective subject in many ways. I said that a graduate degree almost always translates to a higher salary, which was why I chose to pursue one. And I never said it was an explicit necessity, simply that your statement that it is a luxury is an opinion. The same argument can be made for any form of higher education, yet over half of the US population has some form of it. People tend to choose paths that will provide stability, benefits in the form of health/life insurance etc. and some sort of work/life balance (and no need to receive government assistance). That most often comes in the form of professional occupations, which higher education is necessary for, with few exceptions.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
It boils down to semantics, and that is a subjective subject in many ways. I said that a graduate degree almost always translates to a higher salary, which was why I chose to pursue one. And I never said it was an explicit necessity, simply that your statement that it is a luxury is an opinion. The same argument can be made for any form of higher education, yet over half of the US population has some form of it. People tend to choose paths that will provide stability, benefits in the form of health/life insurance etc. and some sort of work/life balance (and no need to receive government assistance). That most often comes in the form of professional occupations, which higher education is necessary for, with few exceptions.

Absolutely, and most people choose to do it themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia