Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 09:44 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,586,188 times

Advertisements

If you're just looking up corporate apartments that advertise online, then yes, it is going to be very difficult to find places that allow pets. But it is quite possible to find private owners that allow pets. For that, Craigslist is your only good option if you are not physically in the area.

Looking at newspaper classifieds in 2012 to find an apartment is kind of a waste of time because only a tiny percentage of what's available will be in the newspaper. 90 plus percent has moved to Craigslist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 10:20 AM

111 posts, read 236,919 times
Michcg, I actually do have Tysons Glen on my list - they accept dogs up to 100 lbs and GSDs are NOT on their restricted list. Thank you for the recomendation!!

Stateofnature, yes, I agree - I have been scouring Craigslist too - it just seems like the corporations devour it - there used to be a button to search property "by owner" vs by companies etc. and I don't see it anymore...but I will keep looking on Craigslist definitely - I would MUCH prefer to rent from a normal private party.

Yes, I agree that looking through a newspaper, I feel like my Grandma...I just got frustrated. :-)

BTW, anybody know Bren Mar in Alexandria on Beryl Rd? Good? Bad? Reviews seem to be OK.

Thank you!!

Old 11-19-2012, 02:33 PM

1,533 posts, read 2,273,907 times
IMO, No, no and no. Even with a GSD, I as a woman would not feel comfortable around there. Frankly, I think the whole Edsal Rd area looks and feels run down

Old 11-19-2012, 02:59 PM

270 posts, read 910,681 times
If I were you I'd consider renting in the Belle View condos just south of Old Town. You would be renting from an owner and pets there are often negotiable; it depends on the owner. They are small garden apartments, but you can get a two bedroom for around $1500. There is a bus to the Huntington metro and it's close to the Mount Vernon Trail. Craigslist is the best way to find a place is through Craigslist, although the condo office often has some posted.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:26 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,979,452 times
If you are open to renting a townhouse or a SFH you can check out this website: Homes for Sale and Rent in DC, Maryland, Virginia | HomesDatabase.com.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:32 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,321,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etincelle77 View Post
I understand nothing is safe nowadays
It's never been safer.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:13 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,586,188 times
Yeah I don't know what you mean by "nothing is safe nowadays" either. The DC area crime rate has been falling somewhat dramatically over the past two decades.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:26 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,524,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Yeah I don't know what you mean by "nothing is safe nowadays" either. The DC area crime rate has been falling somewhat dramatically over the past two decades.
+1. There was actually more crime in Fairfax in 1980 in terms of absolute numbers, when we had half the people.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:33 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,937,397 times
You will pay a premium for places near the Metro, like Oakwood. If you will not be using the Metro for daily commuting, it probably makes more sense to expand your search to include apartments within an easy drive of a Metro, rather than ones reachable by foot or quick bus transfer. You will definitely get more for your money, and many Metro stations have ample parking on evenings and weekends.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:58 AM

111 posts, read 236,919 times
Thank you for all your suggestions, I will check them out!

Saying that nothing is safe nowadays I mean that bad things can happen anywhere and one shoudl always be careful. I didn't mean it in any bad way. I just meant that I don't think it is wise to walk around oblivious of yoru surroundings and think that nothing will ever happen to you. That's all.

I am glad to hear that the crime rate has improved.

I looked at Sheffield Court by Clarendon Metro - someone suggested it at the beginning of this thread - I spoke to a lady there and they do take GSDs. The reviews online are mixed. This is on North Wayne Street, Arlington. Anybody knows the area? The reviews online were sort of whiny - about outside construction noise (not the apartment complex's fault) and someone had a mouse at home. Anybody lived there?

THANK YOU again for all your feedback!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia