Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 07:29 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,735,222 times

Advertisements

Just a note re your dog. Some apt complexes have clauses not allowing german shepards, make sure you check before you rent. A coworker was just forced to move because her shepard mix who really looks more like a lab has shepard markings and the vet has it listed as a mix. Not fair...but it is something to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 09:09 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,582,435 times
I wouldn't immediately rule out DC just because you have a dog. It might make it harder to find a place, but I don't see it making DC significantly harder than the parts of Northern Virginia close to metro stations.
If urban and walkable is what you want, there is no question that much of DC is much more urban and walkable than even the most urban parts of Northern Virginia.
Your budget will be the tough part. It will be hard to find a 1 bedroom in a walkable safe neighborhood near a metro in DC, but that goes for Northern Virginia as well. Places like Old Town Alexandria, Clarendon and other similarly urban parts of Northern Virginia aren't really any cheaper than the safe parts of DC. In some cases, actually more expensive.
Columbia Heights is one DC neighborhood where you might be able find something in your budget range.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:28 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,521,321 times
$1,500 a month, you work from home and DH works in Rockville?

I'd recommend Rockville itself (near Metro), or downtown Frederick (near MARC line, might be able to get a TH that can handle your dog for that budget)

No need to cross the river if you don't have to. In Frederick the area around South Street has usually been seen as iffy but not sure what areas of Rockville aren't well-regarded.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
$1,500 a month, you work from home and DH works in Rockville?

I'd recommend Rockville itself (near Metro), or downtown Frederick (near MARC line, might be able to get a TH that can handle your dog for that budget)

No need to cross the river if you don't have to. In Frederick the area around South Street has usually been seen as iffy but not sure what areas of Rockville aren't well-regarded.
She never said her husband works in Rockville. That was just an example somebody used for why where he does work matters.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:32 AM

111 posts, read 236,773 times
Hey guys, Thank you very much for the suggestions - as far as where he works - he will not have to commute anywhere - but we need to have DC as our home base basically because eventually we will both travel and always will have to come back to DC.

Tone509, thank you very much for the specific suggestions - I will start looking in those areas. I wrote them all down. Thank you!

Slduvall, I know about the breed restrictions - while I understand that no one wants to get sued, it really irks me when they call some dogs "agressive breeds" - all dogs can be agressive, just depends on their experiences. The only dog that ever bit me was a yorkshire terrier and a small poodle. But anyway...that's another discussion - I know it will be difficult to finsd a place with a GSD.

For the dog reason, I would like to avoid huge apartment buildings (like 10 floors and bigger). The optimal woudl actually be renting from a private party, not a company. That is what we have in NY now and it is working out perfectly.

Stateofnature, thank you for your suggestions too, I am also writing them down. That's pretty much what I needed from thsi thread - just general area suggestions...I will probably come back asking if anyone knows specific places later on.

Stpickrell, thank you for your suggestion too - Rockville does not have to be the place but I can look there too. Thank you!

This has been very helpful and this is exactly what I was looking for, thank you guys!! :-)

Old 11-19-2012, 08:55 AM

I have a first specific question - if anyone knows:

Do you know anything (good or bad) about the Oakwood Falls Church Apartments? It is on Roosevelt Blvd, not even a mile from the East Falls Church Metro station.

Also...does anyone have any experience or heard about the Archstone apartment complexes? They seem to get a mixed review online. I was looking at the Tyson's Corner complex in Vienna, VA. This one is further from the metro but does take dogs up to 90 lbs.

And...what about The Edgemoore in Alexandria, VA (Rock Ridge Lane)?

Could you please let me know if you know about these areas as far as general safety and/or if you know these complexes?

THANK YOU!!!

Old 11-19-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etincelle77 View Post
I have a first specific question - if anyone knows:

Do you know anything (good or bad) about the Oakwood Falls Church Apartments? It is on Roosevelt Blvd, not even a mile from the East Falls Church Metro station.

Also...does anyone have any experience or heard about the Archstone apartment complexes? They seem to get a mixed review online. I was looking at the Tyson's Corner complex in Vienna, VA. This one is further from the metro but does take dogs up to 90 lbs.

And...what about The Edgemoore in Alexandria, VA (Rock Ridge Lane)?

Could you please let me know if you know about these areas as far as general safety and/or if you know these complexes?

THANK YOU!!!
I once lived at the Oakwood Falls Church apartments. It's corporate housing in a typical suburban neighborhood. Very easy driving distance to many things but not at all good for walkability.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:06 AM

Thank you - yeah, I looked at it from Google and I understand - after searching around forever this weekend - I am having to branch out because not very many places will take a large dog - sigh. The Edgemoore is out too - even though they say Pet Friendly and all that, they won't take anything larger then a mouse. Oh well.
Thank you for your feedback!

Also..actually - what are some local newspapers that I could look at classfifieds in?

THANK YOU!

Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 AM

979 posts, read 1,778,685 times
Nowadays, I skip newspapers and head straight to Craigslist. Yes, there are some shady folks out there, but they're usually relatively easy to screen out, especially if you're the shopper/buyer as opposed to the seller. When we were renting out our NOVA townhouse, the first thing we did was list it on CL. I got 6 responses within 24 hours.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:42 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,817,228 times
I lived in Tysons Glen in Falls Church (on Route 7 near Marshall High School) many years ago. At the time they took big dogs. It's a safe area and is convenient to the shopping centers on Route 7 with Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, as well as being close to the Beltway. It wasn't fancy but it was adequate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia