Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 03:52 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,599,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Shunpiking is not illegal. What is illegal is using the airport road for something other than airport business.
Please define "shunpiking." I have only recently figured out "slugging." It all sounds sort of....dirty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 03:57 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,648,328 times
Shunpking - a side road taken instead of a turnpike or expressway to avoid tolls or to travel at a leisurely pace.

There is nothing wrong with doing that but that does not apply to the Access Road which clearly states the road is for airport traffic only.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:09 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,109,369 times
People who transact any sort of business at Dulles are allowed to use the free Dulles access road. So, some commuters actually drive onto the airport grounds, quickly buy a coffee to takeaway there, and save the sales receipt to prove to highway police, if stopped, that they conducted business that day at the airport. This practice was described in a Washington Post article.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:42 PM

270 posts, read 911,034 times
Here's a response from another forum where this issue has been addressed:

Re: Dulles Toll Road cheat
Posted by: Dulles Flyer ()
Date: October 30, 2012 04:58PM

They've been catching people doing "the loop" there to avoid the toll since the road was built. Always a new crop of folks who think that they can beat the system I guess. You may be able to get away with it for a while but they're wise to it and eventually they'll get you.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:17 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,586,937 times
I do it every single chance I get, and I don't feel one bit guilty about it, nor do I give any reason for anyone to pull me over. Yes, I have my receipt, amongst other reasons for airport business.

So long as the state of Virginia allows a private consortium from Australia to charge me around $5 to use 1/3 of the greenway, then they can go find their other tolls within the income tax of that $5. If they don't play fair, then I won't either. How stupid is VA for allowing a private company to literally blackmail one of the nations top counties? Make no mistake about it, there should be no legal support to charge $5 for 3 miles, and $5 for all 15 miles. I look forward to the monopoly lawsuit on this. I'd almost be willing to bet that if you dug deep enough, there is probably evidence to support such a case already, with blocked attempts at road development in Loudoun that would offer other alternatives than 7 and 28. Especially for Brambleton and how Old Ox road connects up to feeder roads into Brambleton.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:01 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,211,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Make no mistake about it, there should be no legal support to charge $5 for 3 miles, and $5 for all 15 miles.
What about $5 for 1/5 mile, if you get off (or on) at 606 (Old Ox)???

Old 12-13-2012, 07:11 PM

3,308 posts, read 9,404,773 times
Quote:
So long as the state of Virginia allows a private consortium from Australia to charge me around $5 to use 1/3 of the greenway, then they can go find their other tolls within the income tax of that $5. If they don't play fair, then I won't either.
So... you realize the airport authority, not VDOT, operates the Dulles Toll Road, right?

You not paying for the Toll Road doesn't affect VDOT or the VA gov't.

And the airport authority wins either way- you're either paying them directly with the toll or you're buying something from a gas station that operates on their land.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:49 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,156,788 times
Quote:
I do it every single chance I get, and I don't feel one bit guilty about it, nor do I give any reason for anyone to pull me over. Yes, I have my receipt, amongst other reasons for airport business.

So long as the state of Virginia allows a private consortium from Australia to charge me around $5 to use 1/3 of the greenway, then they can go find their other tolls within the income tax of that $5. If they don't play fair, then I won't either. How stupid is VA for allowing a private company to literally blackmail one of the nations top counties? Make no mistake about it, there should be no legal support to charge $5 for 3 miles, and $5 for all 15 miles. I look forward to the monopoly lawsuit on this. I'd almost be willing to bet that if you dug deep enough, there is probably evidence to support such a case already, with blocked attempts at road development in Loudoun that would offer other alternatives than 7 and 28. Especially for Brambleton and how Old Ox road connects up to feeder roads into Brambleton.
Hey, I don't think it's "playing fair" that the government takes a higher percentage (not just a higher amount) of my income than from someone else who makes less (why not take the same percentage?), but until the law of the land changes, I am not going to do something that violates either the spirit or the letter of the law to play chicken with the government. But you go ahead and take from the rest of us -- because that is, ultimately, what toll avoidance does to the rest of us who do pay.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:41 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,465,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I actually made this trip today......went into the airport, looped around the passenger pick up area and was on VA 28 in less than 5 minutes.
It may save you some money, but there's no way it actually took less than 5 minutes. At least 6-7 I bet. Unless you were ignoring all those 25 mph signs at the actual loop closer to the terminal (which they will pull you over for, by the way, should you keep doing this).

The total trip from where the DTR has an exit for 28 North to where it actually merges onto 28 is 4.5 miles, but your average speed is probably around 35-40 MPH since you go so slow for a mile of it.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:55 PM

3,308 posts, read 9,404,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Hey, I don't think it's "playing fair" that the government takes a higher percentage (not just a higher amount) of my income than from someone else who makes less (why not take the same percentage?), but until the law of the land changes, I am not going to do something that violates either the spirit or the letter of the law to play chicken with the government. But you go ahead and take from the rest of us -- because that is, ultimately, what toll avoidance does to the rest of us who do pay.
He's legal though- business on airport property is airport business. Neither letter nor spirit has been violated.

Also I don't know if I really consider the airport authority the "government".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia