Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 05:57 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,321,195 times

Advertisements

We'd like to know a little bit about you for our files
We'd like to help you learn to help yourself
Look around you, all you see are sympathetic eyes
Stroll around the grounds until you feel at home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 06:24 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,731,621 times
I don't have high school students (my kids are in elementary school) so I did not receive the letter, but at a minimum I think FCPS should have this letter posted somewhere on their website. (I looked for it and couldn't find it.)

Old 01-08-2013, 08:14 AM

617 posts, read 1,359,233 times
My initial assumption is that this is a reaction to Newtown, but it has probably been in the works for awhile.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:29 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,597,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
My initial assumption is that this is a reaction to Newtown, but it has probably been in the works for awhile.
It does look like a Cover-Your-Assets reaction to school shootings, or perhaps suicides, in general. Probably just trying to do as much as possible to look they are trying to prevent student deaths so that if they ever have to go to court they have a paper trail to show they did something. The fact that something is poorly thought out and will probably be ineffective does not matter to FCPS - it's all about the CYA policy.

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-08-2013 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: watch the profanity ;)

Old 01-08-2013, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,134 times
Hello,

My name is Taylor Shapiro. I'm the Fairfax County education reporter at The Washington Post. I'm interested in talking to parents and their reaction to this survey. Please e-mail me at shapirot [at] washpost [dot] com. Also, if someone has a copy of the letter about the survey I'd like to see it. Thanks. -TRS

Old 01-08-2013, 03:40 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,444,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
It is not something new, it is not the first year for this, and is not done county wide at the same time. I know some high schools did it well before Newtown so it is not a reaction to that. I believe it is up to the individual schools to decide if and when they are doing the screening. If families can opt out, which would be my guess, then what is the issue? I would hope the schools involved would have the opportunity to respond to any questions about this.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:56 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,321,195 times
Sounds like some people around here have authority issues.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:54 PM

303 posts, read 920,341 times
Schools already screen kids for vision and hearing problems and scoliosis. They also promote public health by requiring that children receive vaccines in order to register. In this case, they are screening for a mental health issue that can cause significant learning challenges and pervasive lifetime difficulties, even death.

In all cases, we would hope that parents would be on top of things with their kids - for example, already getting their eyes, ears, and backs checked annually with the pediatrician, and fully vaccinating their children without any other incentive - but we know that isn't the case, so the public schools have a great opportunity to serve as a promoter of public health. Mental health issues are often hidden from the parents and difficult to discover, especially in teens who tend (even when in the best of health) to separate from the parents as part of normal development. The schools are in a good place to help discover a child in danger.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:01 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,155,888 times
Yet another reason for homeschooling...

Old 01-13-2013, 01:17 PM

8,991 posts, read 21,216,348 times
My educator wife's opinion about this is that one can't have it both ways. In her words, many parents want schools to help to determine which students might be a danger to themselves and others; not participating in this survey may prevent one of the more effective ways of doing so. She also figures that students would have the choice to opt out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: