Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 05:56 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,151,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Grad degrees are a different story. They expect MBAs to come in with varying experience and backgrounds, so there's room to negotiate. You aren't applying to entry level positions--with an MBA you're stepping into management level roles and higher. On the contrast, they know that no one coming straight from undergrad and applying to entry level positions has any relevant experience, so there's nothing to leverage to negotiate with.
Let me repeat:
Quote:
I don't keep up with the management consulting industry of late, but quite a few of my university and graduate school chums went into the field (but that was before the days of the Big Three) and all negotiated their first salaries. HOWEVER, all were Ivy League graduates and all but one had master's degrees (usually a combination of engineering bachelor's and MBA or engineering and double Sc.M.-MBA combo).
Meaning, one had just a bachelor's degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 06:49 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Let me repeat:
Meaning, one had just a bachelor's degree.
Okay. You're right, your friends' experiences however many years ago in other regions from a different caliber of schools are more correct/relevant than my experiences from 2 years ago and my husbands' experiences from 2 days ago in this region.

Sorry to snark, but I suspect we are just talking about two completely unrelated situations. The companies hiring in this region are not the Banes or the McKinseys that ivy grads tend to chase. (Although I did work with a couple Yale grads who made within $1000 of what I made when we were new hires...)

Old 01-25-2013, 09:39 AM

31 posts, read 50,894 times
I'm a Computer Engineering grad from a relatively unknown school. I started out as a graduate co-op for the government (NASA Goddard) at $45k, and worked there for 1.5 years. Then I moved to a small company at 60K, where I got my clearance, and worked there for 9 months. Immediately after I got my clearance, I got a job new at $77.5k. I did have a lot of experience with internships and undergrad research. So 50k - 70k depending on your clearances and skill set.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Okay. You're right, your friends' experiences however many years ago in other regions from a different caliber of schools are more correct/relevant than my experiences from 2 years ago and my husbands' experiences from 2 days ago in this region.

Sorry to snark, but I suspect we are just talking about two completely unrelated situations. The companies hiring in this region are not the Banes or the McKinseys that ivy grads tend to chase. (Although I did work with a couple Yale grads who made within $1000 of what I made when we were new hires...)
Completely unnecessary snark as this is not a competition.

It's not that my experience is more or less relevant than yours to the OP's situation (neither appears to be directly related his situation). My point, rather, was to counter the dismissive claim that one should not negotiate one's first salary out of university because one "wouldn't get any."

And congratulations on making "within $1000 of... a couple [of] Yale grads." Seeing as I know Ivy League grads who are still living with their parents and other Ivy Leaguers whose first jobs paid in six figures per annum, it's not clear exactly what "within $1000 of" is or what relevance that has on the present discussion.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:50 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
Actually I think ILD's position on this could be correct in situations where companies are competing for the best candidates. One strategy would be to tell them you have another company offering you 10% more and ask if they can match it. That may provide the hiring manager a justification for giving you more than the original offer. In my experience with larger companies, hiring managers will give you whatever HR will let them get away with. They're more concerned about getting the best person to do the job, and fast, rather than a few thousand dollar additional hit against their salary budget, which they can usually cover with vacancies. Sad but true, but most managers don't spend money the way they would if they owned the business. You can exploit that, realizing you're there to solve a problem (they got reqs they gotta fill). Hiring managers are also time pressed so don't want to have to deal with a bunch of sequentials offers. For most of them, recruiting and hiring is their least favorite activity.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:18 PM

In my experience as an employer, I must say that "bargain" employees aren't such bargains.

And, yes, I generally paid top dollars to recruit the best and they have worked out very well for the most part. One of them took over my last day job when I retired from the field.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:53 PM

248 posts, read 701,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Actually I think ILD's position on this could be correct in situations where companies are competing for the best candidates. One strategy would be to tell them you have another company offering you 10% more and ask if they can match it. That may provide the hiring manager a justification for giving you more than the original offer. In my experience with larger companies, hiring managers will give you whatever HR will let them get away with. They're more concerned about getting the best person to do the job, and fast, rather than a few thousand dollar additional hit against their salary budget, which they can usually cover with vacancies. Sad but true, but most managers don't spend money the way they would if they owned the business. You can exploit that, realizing you're there to solve a problem (they got reqs they gotta fill). Hiring managers are also time pressed so don't want to have to deal with a bunch of sequentials offers. For most of them, recruiting and hiring is their least favorite activity.
This is true, I asked for more money for my first job in the DC area (but my second full-time job). The hiring manager fought as hard as she could with HR to meet my request. This helped me get 5% more.

This was for a large company.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:41 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,990,232 times
I want to emphasize as another IT person to say that you have a Computer Science degree means nothing because Computer Science is such a broad field. With a degree you can do anything from software development to technical writing. Without knowing one's experience, expertise and whether you are private or government, it's really hard to give anyone an accurate figure. I can only speak generally, if you work in this area, no matter what odds on out, the government will pay less but your job will be more secure. Of course there are exceptions. I have been offered jobs as a software developer as low as $37,500 with no benefits and coming out of undergrad from a Fortune 500 company. The government typically (depends on your grades) will offer you about $41k starting out.

My advice, be mindful of where you work if you decide to buy. Private sector companies, especially the big ones like to move people around and if you decide to buy, you may go from a short commute to a long one and nothing to really change it because you have brought a place. The IT field depending on what you do and where you work can be a field that will require a lot of moving so unless you work for the government or at least a company that doesn't have a ton of offices, I would remain flexible until you work at place or work on a long-term project.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:44 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
no way are people with a bachelors starting out over 60k unless they have some sort of specialized engineering degree or something of the sort. I'm making mid sixties and I've been out of school for 4 years now. Started out at 45k with a bachelors in finance

Old 01-31-2013, 08:53 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,467,499 times
My s/w company based in NoVA offers $50-60K for Bachelors degree in CS and $70-80K for Masters degree in CS... ...straight out of school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia