Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 12:46 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,772,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

5.) Traffic. What angers me the most about NoVA's traffic is that officials permitted all of these places like Ashburn, Leesburg, Reston, Sterling, Chantilly, Centreville, Fairfax, etc. to mushroom in growth BEFORE making sure the infrastructure was available to service the needs of that new population. I always felt like NoVA was living in a "build first, plan later" mindset, and as an urban planning aficionado I couldn't help but shake my head in disgust. There's no reason why it should have taken me 45 minutes to commute from Reston to Tysons Corner, which was just six or seven miles away. Pittsburgh's traffic is a BREEZE in comparison, and before people start talking about population disparities bear in mind NoVA and Pittsburgh both have roughly 2.5 million inhabitants, if I'm not mistaken. I can't believe someone in this thread said "at least we're not Bahrain!" in regards to driving/traffic. That's like Cleveland saying "at least we're not Detroit!"
While I agree with you with the fact that planning is terrible, I don't think the "build first, plan later" mindset is unique to NoVA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 12:59 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,389,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
While I agree with you with the fact that planning is terrible, I don't think the "build first, plan later" mindset is unique to NoVA.
That's a good point. Where I grew up in the Philly 'burbs, people complained about this kind of stuff as well- There would be permits given to put in a new development or office park and no infrastructure upgrades to accompany them. The difference is that the Philly metro area hasn't grown much, while the NoVA area has, so it's much more noticeable here.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:03 PM

47 posts, read 109,920 times
Quote:
^ A few excellent examples to help illustrate my point. "If there's something here you don't like, then there must be something wrong with you".
For me it's not that I see nothing wrong here. There are a lot of nice things about the area that outweight the not-so-nice things.

A quick comparisons with other big cities in the US

Bay Area: too expensive
Seattle: too much rain
LA: too much superficial things
NYC: too crowd and too expensive
Boston: too cold
Chicago: too damn cold

I think NOVA is just about right.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:14 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,099,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiematt View Post
A quick comparisons with other big cities in the US

Bay Area: too expensive
Seattle: too much rain
LA: too much superficial things
NYC: too crowd and too expensive
Boston: too cold
Chicago: too damn cold

I think NOVA is just about right.
Fine comparisons. But NOVA is an area outside of Washington, D.C. In the list above, every place is a major metropolitan city.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:06 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,772,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
That's a good point. Where I grew up in the Philly 'burbs, people complained about this kind of stuff as well- There would be permits given to put in a new development or office park and no infrastructure upgrades to accompany them. The difference is that the Philly metro area hasn't grown much, while the NoVA area has, so it's much more noticeable here.
And the growth has been recent here as well, esp when the economy went down and the area was still booming. This is also happening but at a slower pace in places like Denver, the Triangle (NC) and maybe some major cities in TX.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:06 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,786,839 times
Quote:
Saying NoVA's housing prices are "comparable to what you'd pay in San Francisco, NYC, L.A., etc." is asinine because NoVA is a suburb---not a world-class city---and even though it's NEAR a world-class city access into it is sub-par with Metrorail trying desperately to play "catch up" far too late in laying down new rail lines and adding new stations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Fine comparisons. But NOVA is an area outside of Washington, D.C. In the list above, every place is a major metropolitan city.
Well, when people compare NoVA to another large city, I think they are often referring to that city's metropolitan area and making general comparisons to the suburban areas that surround those metro areas. For example, when someone on here compares an aspect of NoVA to say, New York or San Franciso, I highly doubt they are referring only to San Franciso county or the 5 boroughs of New York City. They are likely using their reference to NY or SF as a shortcut for the entire metro area, including Silicon Valley, Marin County, the East Bay, etc. in SF, and Long Island, NJ, Westchester, Connecticut, etc. in NY. It seems kind of silly to get into that much specificity when generally comparing NoVA to other metro areas.

To SteelCityRising's points, I really think you're dreaming if you think housing in similar suburbs of SF, NYC, or LA is cheaper than NoVA. Sure, some suburbs might be cheaper and some will be more expensive, but, on the whole, I just don't see those areas being significantly cheaper than NoVA. In regards to Metro, it certainly has it's negatives, but I think you might not be familiar with how bad transit systems are in other metro areas. Ever been on the Septa regional rail in the Philadelphia area? I feel like comparing Metro to Philly's transit system is like comparing the automobile to the horse and buggy. In many southern and western cities, rail-based transit systems are almost non-existent. San Francisco has the BART system, which, to me, is the most similar type of transit system to Metro, but it has its fair share of similar problems too. Now, if you start comparing Metro and other U.S. transit systems to those in other countries, then you really do have a point.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:09 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,099,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
I don't really see the point. Do you think the weather in Newton or Evanston is a lot different from Boston or Chicago? Or that Scarsdale or Summit has a lot cheaper cost of living than NYC?

I assume the other poster had metro areas, not individual cities, in mind in any event. And I've always understood the "Bay Area" to refer to SF and its environs, and not just to SF.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:40 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,187,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metclubin View Post
I know one in Ashburn where you will hear Eagles anthem on every touchdown every Sunday. I go there from Fairfax almost every Sunday if they don't show Eagles game on TV here.
All American Steakhouse

Another one I heard is Rhino Bar in Georgetown. Never been there yet. It seems its all about Philly sports.
Thanks for the tips!

Old 03-22-2013, 02:41 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,187,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metclubin View Post
I was only once crapped by a Redskins fan one row below mine screaming at my face on almost all plays at FedEx field last year when I went for Eagles @ Redskins game. I told him "that's all you got". "try wearing your RG3 jersey anywhere in South Philly and see what you get, forget about actually going to the game." He did not bother me after that and Skins were already 20 pts up at that point.
LOL Gotta love Philly sports fans.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:42 PM

47 posts, read 109,920 times
Like JEB77 mentioned, I had "Metro areas" on my mind, not just specific cities.

I think in US, SF Bay area will win hands down if it's not so expensive and Seattle might even be better than the Bay area if it doesn't rain or get cloudy that much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia