Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 10:02 AM

262 posts, read 841,908 times

Advertisements

Any current observations on if / how far housing bubble has extended in this metro area?

Comments I've seen nationally (which may not apply to this metro area) are that 1) home prices have gone up too much (potential buyers having sticker shock), and 2) lack of inventory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 10:12 AM

359 posts, read 477,585 times
I don't think so. Every house I looked at in Stafford had multiple bids and/or sold within days of coming on the market.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:30 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,521,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekchampion04 View Post
I don't think so. Every house I looked at in Stafford had multiple bids and/or sold within days of coming on the market.
Three houses on my street in close-to-downtown Leesburg sold within a week. One over $500k the other two around $390k.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:38 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,321,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshan242700 View Post
Any current observations on if / how far housing bubble has extended in this metro area?

Comments I've seen nationally (which may not apply to this metro area) are that 1) home prices have gone up too much (potential buyers having sticker shock), and 2) lack of inventory.
I've read several articles recently discussing how housing will struggle mightily over the next few years. But they were written with a national scope, and real estate is local. This area is very resilient due to the strong job market. It certainly will be interesting to see how home prices handle increasing interest rates down the road.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:32 PM

531 posts, read 1,430,741 times
There's not much inventory on the market. Many people refied last year with very low rates. Now the rates are higher. And if they want to move up, there are not enough houses for sale to choose from. Many people are trapped in their own houses. Also, lots of people don't sell their old homes after buying new. They just rent them out.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:52 AM

9 posts, read 15,658 times
Prince William County/Manassas City/Manassas Park/etc are down YoY. A townhouse in Fairfax a mile to the PWC county line is 350k while you can get a 4 bedroom 2k sq ft single family house right across the county line for 300k. I don't know if PWC will continue to fall or plateau but the exburb prices there are not moving up this year. Unless prices in Fairfax begin to fall, it's hard to imagine this trend (upward pressure in Fairfax and downward price pressure in PWC) can continue. The disparity in price between a house and a townhouse right down the street is becoming absurd.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:33 PM

28 posts, read 48,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaOne View Post
It's the hills. People forget that they need to press the gas pedal harder when going up a hill.

You think I am kidding.
That and drivers in this area cannot merge. You don't believe me, look at 495 during rush hour. It always clogs up near those areas where merges are involved (RT 7, RT 50, Gallows, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyinNOVA View Post
Or, you can just take the VRE. I commute from Fredericksburg to Alexandria every day and taking the VRE is a breeze. Only takes an hour and it would certainly take a lot longer driving. My company does give me a smartbenefit every month, but even if I had to pay full price... it would still be cheaper than paying for the gas to sit in 95 traffic all the time.
Unfortunately VRE does not go to Tysons, and my Employer does not give smartbenefits, only transit benefits via wageworks (we can pay for mass transit minus taxes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMatrix100 View Post
I doubt you will see much downward pressure on prices, and even if there is some it will be in certain geographical markets.

In NOVA, anything in decent neighborhoods and inside the beltway is in high demand. I know of two people personally who have put homes on the market in the past month. The first went in 7 days, the second had 25 groups on its first open house (which was this past Sunday).

IMO, with Tysons transforming and the Mosaic district nearby on Gallows Road, SFH within a 10 mile radius will see fairly constant demand, and decent appreciation, for some time. That's a pretty huge area that includes Falls Church, McLean/Langley, Vienna, and Seven Corners. Most of the new residential construction in this area is condo and apartment high rises.

Outside the beltway is a whole different story. Traffic becomes a major quality of life issue, urban options are limited and there are still some foreclosures coming onto the market. You do get more space, but that is not without costs.
Houses are in demand even outside the beltway. I saw some local houses in Burke get snapped up within days after a open house.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:30 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,573,275 times
Out by me (Loudoun / Brambleton) it seems to be getting a little more "spotty" with price appreciation. I think we're seeing where the ceiling is going to be for a little while now. We've had townhouses in our neighborhood go for $500k this season, while similar sized town homes down the road a ¼ mile go for $400k. 2 years ago, in my neighborhood, you could buy a sfh that was more than double the size of the town homes go for $550k +/-.

Some houses have been on the market longer than I would've expected this cycle in the area. I say longer than expected, based upon last year when 7 days was considered too long on the market!

I think interest rates are playing the biggest part in what I'm seeing. Makes sense too. Prices aren't coming down, just taking a little longer to find the right buyer. To be expected when you're coming out of a 2 year mortgage market where a 30 year term could be had from 3.75% to 4.25%. That .50%, when you're talking about a mortgage of $500k, makes a noticeable difference to several potential buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia