Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 12:13 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,331,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
On any given day, DC is going to have better sushi, steakhouses and other higher-end/upscale restaurants than in Vienna or elsewhere in NoVa.

NoVa puts the District to absolute shame when it comes to ethnic dining, however.

I know Vienna makes a mean kabob (Rose Kabob and Shamshiry, latter is absolutely fantastic) and really good Indian too (Bombay Tandoor, Turmeric). Outside of Vienna your options in Indian food get infinitely better.
Angeethi in Herndon is legitimate as far as indian goes (go where the middle aged indians are eating)

I'll give you DC has better chophouses, but then again a chophouse is really more about the vibe from the beginning anyways. You pay for the atmosphere (anyone can cook a good steak if they know what they are doing and have a good butcher/source)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 12:18 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,328,472 times
Quote:
On any given day, DC is going to have better sushi, steakhouses and other higher-end/upscale restaurants than in Vienna or elsewhere in NoVa.

NoVa puts the District to absolute shame when it comes to ethnic dining, however.

I know Vienna makes a mean kabob (Rose Kabob and Shamshiry, latter is absolutely fantastic) and really good Indian too (Bombay Tandoor, Turmeric). Outside of Vienna your options in Indian food get infinitely better.
I really like Haandi in Falls Church for Indian food. Very close for us Vienna-ites too.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:10 PM

200 posts, read 561,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Le sigh, you don't. Most of the "cutting edge" ethnic cuisine occurring in DC started in NOVA. Great indian food existed in nova long before DC, Thai food, Banh Mi and Pho craze? Eden center, been there for decades, and it goes on and on.

DC has vibe, and price, not authenticity or ground breaking.

To each their own. I'll keep going to Song Que and knowing it crushes anything in DC for Banh mi, for 1/3rd the price, made by a 70 year old vietnamese grandmother who perfected it 4 decades ago

Shout out for Bastille in North Alexandria too, best (and little known) french bistro in the area IMO.
Yes, for ethnic food, you are absolutely right. Great Vietnamese can be found in Eden Center, Korean in Annandale, Thai in Arlington and etc.. I meant to say, I have to drive outside Vienna/Tysons area not to DC in particular. To be fair, these places are not that far from Vienna area.

DC, while not the best culinary destination like NYC / San Fran or even Philly, has quite a bit to offer beyond just vibe and price, IMO. To name a few beyond what I already mentioned.

Makoto / Kintaro / Sakuramen / Izakaya Seki: All are Japanese restaurants that offer somewhat different kind of Japanese food ranging from sushi, home-style food, ramen and izakaya. All are arguably the best in DMV area.
Schezuan Pavillion: The best Schezuan style food. (China Star in Fairfax used to be pretty decent but has gone downhill)
Estadio: Probably the best tapas/small plates. Much better than Jaleo.
Amsterdam Falafelshop: The best falafel! Cheap and tasty.
Kellari Taverna / Komi : Probably the best greek food you can find in DMV.
Keren / Zenebech : DC is known for good Ethiopian food, right?
Thai X-ing : tasty and unique experience
Obelisk : Arguably the best Iatalian you can find around.
Blacksalt: fresh and various kind of oysters / seafood.
Brasserie Beck / Belga Cafe : How about some Belgian food?

Some of these places are pricey, some aren't but these are all the places that make me drive to DC just for the food.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:17 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,369,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natthapol View Post
Yes, for ethnic food, you are absolutely right. Great Vietnamese can be found in Eden Center, Korean in Annandale, Thai in Arlington and etc.. I meant to say, I have to drive outside Vienna/Tysons area not to DC in particular. To be fair, these places are not that far from Vienna area.

DC, while not the best culinary destination like NYC / San Fran or even Philly, has quite a bit to offer beyond just vibe and price, IMO. To name a few beyond what I already mentioned.

Makoto / Kintaro / Sakuramen / Izakaya Seki: All are Japanese restaurants that offer somewhat different kind of Japanese food ranging from sushi, home-style food, ramen and izakaya. All are arguably the best in DMV area.
Schezuan Pavillion: The best Schezuan style food. (China Star in Fairfax used to be pretty decent but has gone downhill)
Estadio: Probably the best tapas/small plates. Much better than Jaleo.
Amsterdam Falafelshop: The best falafel! Cheap and tasty.
Kellari Taverna / Komi : Probably the best greek food you can find in DMV.
Keren / Zenebech : DC is known for good Ethiopian food, right?
Thai X-ing : tasty and unique experience
Obelisk : Arguably the best Iatalian you can find around.
Blacksalt: fresh and various kind of oysters / seafood.
Brasserie Beck / Belga Cafe : How about some Belgian food?

Some of these places are pricey, some aren't but these are all the places that make me drive to DC just for the food.

With the exception of Amsterdam Falafelshop, all of the places you mentioned are either pricey +good , or simply pricey yet not very good/authentic and have cheaper, far tastier alternatives. Ethiopian being another important exception here.

Not that there's anything wrong with this, I have no issues with fine dining as such, but more often than not you are paying for the ambience, not for authentic food as such.

Replace Kellari/Komi with Mykonos Grill in Rockville and youll be amazed.

szechuan Pavillion - gets kicked the crap out of by Hong Kong Palace in Falls Church and Bobs Noodle House in Rockville, for genuine Szechuan cuisine.

Thai X-ing - unique experience and good food, yes - but the price is not worth it when you have Thai Gwaang Wah in Springfield, Sugar Palm in Alexandria, Thai Curry and Swatdee in Arlington, Elephant Jumps in Merrifield etc.

Indian food: Rasika is the biggest joke in this case. What you pay and what you get in terms of size/portion is just completely whack.

Upscale Indian dining alternative: Tandoori Nights/now Zaika in Arlington is a much more affordable alternative.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:39 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,369,382 times
Eden Center is amazing. The overall experience from the dragon arch gate and nightmarish parking situation to the excellent food options couldnt be more authentic.

My personal favorite there is Huang Viet

Old 08-12-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:

Replace Kellari/Komi with Mykonos Grill in Rockville and youll be amazed.

szechuan Pavillion - gets kicked the crap out of by Hong Kong Palace in Falls Church and Bobs Noodle House in Rockville, for genuine Szechuan cuisine.

Thai X-ing - unique experience and good food, yes - but the price is not worth it when you have Thai Gwaang Wah in Springfield, Sugar Palm in Alexandria, Thai Curry and Swatdee in Arlington, Elephant Jumps in Merrifield etc.
Will have to check out Mykonos Grill, haven't been there yet.

Szechuan Pavillion got huge Asian followings though, it is always packed with Asian and we know our food! I tried Hong Kong Palace but didn't like it as much (again it's talking about food is subjective). Bobs Noodle House is great but it's Taiwanese food actually.

Yes Thai X-ing has gone pricey, it used to be cheaper. The list of Thai restaurants you provided are great and I like all of them but not so much for Sawatdee. I would add "Thai Square" in Arlington to that list too.

Doesn't want to hijack this thread from the OP though, so admin please come along and steer us in the right direction! lol

Last edited by Natthapol; 08-12-2013 at 04:08 PM..

Old 08-12-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Eden Center is amazing. The overall experience from the dragon arch gate and nightmarish parking situation to the excellent food options couldnt be more authentic.

My personal favorite there is Huang Viet
Love Huang Viet too!! Lotus root salad with grilled shrimp is amazing

Old 08-12-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natthapol View Post
Love Huang Viet too!! Lotus root salad with grilled shrimp is amazing
Didn't mean to jump on you about it. Theres no doubt that DC has some great food too. But it lends an important point to the discussion

DC:Food is not fair to compare to Vienna:Food

If you want to say DuPont:Food is to Vienna:Food then thats valid, they are both similar but in fairness if you want to compare equivalent jurisdictions between the 68 square mile region that is DC, with 600K+ people, and several distinct neighborhoods that if they existed in a jurisdictional system like Fairfax would be similar to individual towns and unincorporated regions, it should be

DC:Food is to Fairfax County:Food

To which I'd say, bring it on with DC

Old 08-12-2013, 05:40 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,924,611 times
just dont live in the town proper. those in charge are stuck in 1960s mentality of how to run the town. they have a disdain for small business and if you notice, its mostly big businesses in the town. too many bed stores,coffee shops,cvs/walgreen types and banks for 3 miles.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:09 PM

@barqcider

Can you explain what you mean by disdain for small business? You think there are people who actively go after shoeing away small businesses?

BTW, considering Vienna is a last bastion of main street, avoiding the big boxxy goodness that is indicative of the rest of Northern Virginia (ie the parts that I assume you find to be "good for small business") I find it hard to relate to your statements.

Yes there are CVS/Walgreens, thats because there are very very few local pharmacists in the modern world. Not sure why, its simply something that has happened. The coffee shop you speak of, there is a prominent small business coffee shop (Caffe Amouri) as well as local gem Jammin Java... I would think that would counter your argument on that front considering there is only an equivalent number of franchise coffee shops (carribou and starbucks) within the town limits.

I dont disagree that the town could use some modern thought on what place it should have in the region overall... I guess thats the one thing I agree about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia