Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 08:22 AM

57 posts, read 125,735 times

Advertisements

Vienna has gotten much more interesting in the last few years, with many more unique/independent shops and restaurants...Cafe Amouri, Maple Ave Restaurant, Elevation Burger, Crepe Love, Pazzo Pomodoro, Alegria (a bar, kind of :-) new chocolate shop, Pure Pasty, Sweet Leaf, plus the old stand-bys like Bazins, Sushi Yosi, Sweet Ginger, Bonarotti, Silva's bakery, Cenan bakery, Church Street Pizza, and more. I think Vienna gets better all the time, and it is much more interesting that streets lined with Chili's and TGIFs. I have lived from coast to coast and in between, and Vienna is my favorite community. There are stressors with the DC area, but the small town feel of Vienna with its walkable town, close knit neighbors, community events like Holiday Stroll etc. help to make it seem much more homey, even when it is not my home. I am all for an Irish Pub though...Vienna needs a new pub (and I have spoken with town council members who are all in favor of someone opening a pub). Anyone looking for a business opportunity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 08:23 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,327,645 times
In fairness Elevation Burger is a franchise, but its a home grown franchise started in Falls Church

I like Alegrias patio and their drinks are really good

Sweet leaf also a franchise, not local I dont believe.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:31 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,111,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
In fairness Elevation Burger is a franchise, but its a home grown franchise started in Falls Church

I like Alegrias patio and their drinks are really good

Sweet leaf also a franchise, not local I dont believe.
Sweet Leaf is not a franchise. The first one was in McLean and the owners, local residents, opened another one in Vienna (now if only Rose Kabob will expand from Vienna to McLean). They may be in Arlington now, too.

I think you are confusing it with Sweet Green, which offers similar fare and has more stores along the East Coast.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:34 AM

Sweet Leaf is owned by siblings from McLean - definitely not a franchise and definitely local. Have you been there? Great place! The did just open a third location in Arlington. Elevation Burger is a franchise from the local area - (but has expanded) but it is unique among burger joints (I did clarify unique/independent :-) We need another Alegria type place.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:41 AM

47 posts, read 109,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingwesttoeast View Post
Vienna has gotten much more interesting in the last few years, with many more unique/independent shops and restaurants...Cafe Amouri, Maple Ave Restaurant, Elevation Burger, Crepe Love, Pazzo Pomodoro, Alegria (a bar, kind of :-) new chocolate shop, Pure Pasty, Sweet Leaf, plus the old stand-bys like Bazins, Sushi Yosi, Sweet Ginger, Bonarotti, Silva's bakery, Cenan bakery, Church Street Pizza, and more. I think Vienna gets better all the time, and it is much more interesting that streets lined with Chili's and TGIFs. I have lived from coast to coast and in between, and Vienna is my favorite community. There are stressors with the DC area, but the small town feel of Vienna with its walkable town, close knit neighbors, community events like Holiday Stroll etc. help to make it seem much more homey, even when it is not my home. I am all for an Irish Pub though...Vienna needs a new pub (and I have spoken with town council members who are all in favor of someone opening a pub). Anyone looking for a business opportunity?

Love Cafe Amouri, Pure Pastry and Silva's! I think the restaurant scene could be better though -- they are decent local restaurants but nothing to rave about, IMO.

Where is the new chocolate shop?

Last edited by hokiematt; 08-14-2013 at 08:54 AM..

Old 08-14-2013, 09:09 AM

I lived in Portland, Oregon, a food mecca, so I agree that restaurants are not as top notch as some areas, but believe me, there are many worse options too! Maple Ave is my favorite Vienna eatery - I would love it if they got at better space.
The chocolate shop is across from Cafe Amouri.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingwesttoeast View Post
Sweet Leaf is owned by siblings from McLean - definitely not a franchise and definitely local. Have you been there? Great place! The did just open a third location in Arlington. Elevation Burger is a franchise from the local area - (but has expanded) but it is unique among burger joints (I did clarify unique/independent :-) We need another Alegria type place.
They personally own each location? Cause I have seen 3 or 4 pop up recently... seemed to me to be franchising. Didn't realize it was local owned, thats always good to see.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:25 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,111,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
They personally own each location? Cause I have seen 3 or 4 pop up recently... seemed to me to be franchising. Didn't realize it was local owned, thats always good to see.
Since there are only three stores, and the first one opened in 2009, I don't think you could have seen "3 or 4 pop up recently." If you prefer to patronize locally owned stores, you should make a point of going to Sweet Leaf, rather than to a Sweet Green. I try to go to Cafe Amouri when I'm back in Vienna rather than to one of the Starbucks on Maple, even though some of the employees need more training.

Last edited by JD984; 08-14-2013 at 10:41 AM..

Old 08-14-2013, 12:10 PM

58 posts, read 78,385 times
A bit more information on Vienna, CNN names best small towns in America, Vienna VA ranked third! - The Bull Elephant Sounds like a good place to live, except it's expensive and bad traffic. But even with bad traffic it can't take that long to get into DC, can it?

If traffic is that bad, you could always take a break for a chili dog at the Vienna Inn.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:29 PM

OOPS! JEB77, theres the mistake I got the two confused. I believe I am referring to Sweet Green's popping up. Is that the one thats at Mosaic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia