Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 10:23 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,469,835 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Vienna when it made to the list the first time. It was sometime between 2002 and 2008. I was so excited that I had made the right decision about choosing to live in Vienna. And then next year, it disappeared from the list for no apparent reason. Reality sunk in and I realized what everyone here is saying, "the lists are a sham... ...totally arbitrary and made up... ...up until your city figures in that list!!!" :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 11:25 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,321,907 times
Oh come on, you left off a bunch of restaurants. Bazins and Sushi Yoshi to name a couple.

PS, it has Maple Avenue which is one of the highest acclaimed restaurants in the area so it has some restaurant props you must admit.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:34 AM

200 posts, read 560,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Oh come on, you left off a bunch of restaurants. Bazins and Sushi Yoshi to name a couple.

PS, it has Maple Avenue which is one of the highest acclaimed restaurants in the area so it has some restaurant props you must admit.
Well you know, talking about food is kinda subjective but for me there are much better restaurants in DC. Makoto, Sushi Taro and Kotobuki in DC are much better than Sushi Yoshi (it's a decent place but nothing to rave about too much, IMHO). Bazins is a nice local restaurant but there is nothing like VOLT, Minibar, Inn at Little Washington, Blue Duck Tavern and etc in Vienna.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:41 AM

@natthapol couldn't disagree more but as you say subjective. Volt was better before Voltaggios started franchising out. Minibar is solid (we'll see when Peach Grove opens, formerly known as America Eats now coming to Tysons).

Eitherway you are comparing the center of the free world (a much larger city) to what would be a neighborhood in that city (ie Vienna). For it's size, Vienna does have a lot to offer when it comes to food.

I'm just sayin, its not a town full of Ruby Tuesdays or something, it has real places with real chefs; a difficult feat to achieve in the suburbs.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:43 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,808,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natthapol View Post
Well you know, talking about food is kinda subjective but for me there are much better restaurants in DC. Makoto, Sushi Taro and Kotobuki in DC are much better than Sushi Yoshi (it's a decent place but nothing to rave about too much, IMHO). Bazins is a nice local restaurant but there is nothing like VOLT, Minibar, Inn at Little Washington, Blue Duck Tavern and etc in Vienna.
Well most people would expect restaurants in DC to be superior to those in a town of 16,000. I think for the size of the town, there is a great variety and many good choices. True, Vienna might not have the Inn at Little Washington, but we do have the Vienna Inn, which is a great substitute.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:48 AM

Just spit my coke @michgc

Well played sir

Old 08-12-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Well most people would expect restaurants in DC to be superior to those in a town of 16,000. I think for the size of the town, there is a great variety and many good choices. True, Vienna might not have the Inn at Little Washington, but we do have the Vienna Inn, which is a great substitute.
I understand what you mean but ironically how many population does Washington, VA has? According to city data, it has a population of 135 in 2011!

Old 08-12-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
@natthapol couldn't disagree more but as you say subjective. Volt was better before Voltaggios started franchising out. Minibar is solid (we'll see when Peach Grove opens, formerly known as America Eats now coming to Tysons).

Eitherway you are comparing the center of the free world (a much larger city) to what would be a neighborhood in that city (ie Vienna). For it's size, Vienna does have a lot to offer when it comes to food.

I'm just sayin, its not a town full of Ruby Tuesdays or something, it has real places with real chefs; a difficult feat to achieve in the suburbs.
Ok, I am probably expecting too much and it was not really a fair comparison. I am just frustrated that I find myself having to drive to DC to find good food!

Old 08-12-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natthapol View Post
Ok, I am probably expecting too much and it was not really a fair comparison. I am just frustrated that I find myself having to drive to DC to find good food!
Le sigh, you don't. Most of the "cutting edge" ethnic cuisine occurring in DC started in NOVA. Great indian food existed in nova long before DC, Thai food, Banh Mi and Pho craze? Eden center, been there for decades, and it goes on and on.

DC has vibe, and price, not authenticity or ground breaking.

To each their own. I'll keep going to Song Que and knowing it crushes anything in DC for Banh mi, for 1/3rd the price, made by a 70 year old vietnamese grandmother who perfected it 4 decades ago

Shout out for Bastille in North Alexandria too, best (and little known) french bistro in the area IMO.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:11 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,362,460 times
On any given day, DC is going to have better sushi, steakhouses and other higher-end/upscale restaurants than in Vienna or elsewhere in NoVa.

NoVa puts the District to absolute shame when it comes to ethnic dining, however.

I know Vienna makes a mean kabob (Rose Kabob and Shamshiry, latter is absolutely fantastic) and really good Indian too (Bombay Tandoor, Turmeric). Outside of Vienna your options in Indian food get infinitely better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia