Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 06:47 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times

Advertisements

I'm interested to hear how this turns out. My wife works for a homebuilder (not Toll Brothers), and she says that if someone can prove that a serious extenuating circumstance has come up since the customer put down his deposit, her company will generally let the person out of the contract and refund the deposit. It's only when a customer changes his mind for no good reason that they won't refund the deposit. Naturally, they don't like having people back out -- especially now that houses aren't selling -- but they do seem to understand that unexpected things do happen sometimes. So I'm surprised Toll isn't more flexible.

Good luck with everything ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 07:24 AM

62 posts, read 303,991 times
here is a thought , you put a deposit on the house in oct. when is the house scheduled to be delivered ? ...chances are the home will not appraise for the agreed sales price. you might be able to get out somehow if that happens.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:59 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,139 times
The contract you signed with Toll undoubtedly contains a cancellation clause; what does it say about your obligations, the penalties, and any contingencies?

Old 11-26-2007, 04:06 PM

37 posts, read 281,249 times
As someone else mentioned, you should consult with an attorney. My guess is that Toll Brothers has every right to keep the deposit -- unless there is some loophole in the contract that would give you an out.

A letter from an attorney could make a difference. At a minimum, Toll Brothers might not come after you for the additional 7.5 percent. You should look at this as a business deal that neither side wants to see go sour. You don't want to lose your $16K, the sales person doesn't want to lose commission, and Toll Brothers doesn't want to put the house/lot back on the market.

So if you still want the house consider working something out with Toll Brothers to give you more time to raise the additional downpayment/deposit. You might try that before turning loose an attorney. Hopefully you used a real estate agent. That person would probably be best suited to work out some kind of compromise short of legal action.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:07 PM

4 posts, read 26,385 times
Hi,

I have signed a contract with Toll Brothers and expecting to close the house in Mar 2008.We have already paid Toll a deposit of $60K.I have a current home which is on sale from past 8 months.Pls let me know if anyone knows the option to back out from Toll sales contract .I don't want to hold on to two mortgages.Will I have to pay the fine if my mortgage doesnot get approved.

Thanks
Bob

Old 01-02-2008, 06:43 PM

5 posts, read 43,588 times
Default Um...BTDT

I had a contract with Toll Brothers in 2001 and had to back out when I lost my job. they were telling me that I had to forfeit my DP ($28k). my property was roughed in, and cabinets were ordered, etc. so I was further along with you.

Circumstances may be very different, so i shouldn't make assurances, but get in touch with Greg Haight at Haight Tremonte Law Firm in Vienna, He helped me recover a good sized chunk of my deposit. there's always the tradeoff of legal fees vs. recovery, but i bet he can get you a chunk back.

He's not cheap, but good legal help rarely is.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:58 PM

347 posts, read 934,128 times
typically you can get out if you cant get financing. read your contract. for the other person that may hold two mortgages, hopefully you made purchase contigent on selling your house.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 7,399 times
Default toll bros

call haight tramonte law firm in vienna

Old 01-17-2008, 10:58 AM

13 posts, read 121,443 times
Folks,
Thanks for the replies to this post. In the contract Toll Brothers does have a clause saying every buyer will have to make an application for pre-qualification with their mortage company, but they don't have to go with them. So they will qualify the buyer for the home purchase unless either of the buyers loose their job or their financial situation change dramatically. In this case Toll will keep the initial deposit and may not sue the buyer to get the remaining deposit.

My financial situation is better and I am going to stay with the contract and buy the home.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:11 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,139 times
I'm so glad it worked out for you. What a relief that must be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia