Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:54 PM

16 posts, read 79,588 times

Advertisements

Did you close the house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 03:16 PM

5 posts, read 26,055 times
Toll Brothers nor any other Builder are door to door salesmen. The people who purchase new homes came to these Builders' and their Models. They sign a contract, and may I again point out, it is a CONTRACT. These are adults who make an informed decision knowing the risks, period. They sit through a 3-6 hour contract appointment. They get an idea of when their home will deliver. They pick their options, go to the Design Centers. Visit their home under construction. No one twisted their arms to purchase. Every one got greedy. There is no one individual company or person that the change in the market can be blamed on. The Builders and those selling their own homes took advantage of the inflated market. Lenders took the chance to create new loan programs to accomodate the wants. People purchasing chose to bid up homes or purchase a home they couldn't really afford and some Realtors helped them do it. No one had a crystal ball to predict the change in the market. No Builder makes their profit on deposits. Believe me, no Builder makes their money on keeping deposits. Don't they have the right to recover some of the out of pocket costs that were used to start the construction of a home? Toll Brothers, Centex, Lennar, etc are builders that are traded on the NYSE. They have stock holders and investors they are accountable to. At what point do people stop pointing fingers and start doing something about fixing the problem. How about blaming the media on creating the fear and basically predicting this change??? If you are grown up enough to enter into a contract, then be grown up enough to accept the consequences if something changes or happens.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:38 PM

264 posts, read 854,799 times
Default Wow- Work for Toll Brothers do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca3359 View Post
Toll Brothers nor any other Builder are door to door salesmen. The people who purchase new homes came to these Builders' and their Models. They sign a contract, and may I again point out, it is a CONTRACT. These are adults who make an informed decision knowing the risks, period. They sit through a 3-6 hour contract appointment. They get an idea of when their home will deliver. They pick their options, go to the Design Centers. Visit their home under construction. No one twisted their arms to purchase. Every one got greedy. There is no one individual company or person that the change in the market can be blamed on. The Builders and those selling their own homes took advantage of the inflated market. Lenders took the chance to create new loan programs to accomodate the wants. People purchasing chose to bid up homes or purchase a home they couldn't really afford and some Realtors helped them do it. No one had a crystal ball to predict the change in the market. No Builder makes their profit on deposits. Believe me, no Builder makes their money on keeping deposits. Don't they have the right to recover some of the out of pocket costs that were used to start the construction of a home? Toll Brothers, Centex, Lennar, etc are builders that are traded on the NYSE. They have stock holders and investors they are accountable to. At what point do people stop pointing fingers and start doing something about fixing the problem. How about blaming the media on creating the fear and basically predicting this change??? If you are grown up enough to enter into a contract, then be grown up enough to accept the consequences if something changes or happens.
One post - and this is the only one- wow- work at Toll Brothers or some other constructions company?

This thread is for people who truly were trying to help someone who financially cannot afforf the house...

Old 04-22-2008, 11:57 AM

64 posts, read 578,555 times
Quote:
Gosh, this person obviously works for Toll. It is this exact arrogant attitude of Toll Brothers Sales people that drove us away from them.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:48 AM

523 posts, read 1,417,455 times
Quote:
How about blaming the media on creating the fear and basically predicting this change???
LOL...

Yes the media caused the housing bust !! It had nothing to do with the guy who makes $25k a year buying $500k houses with $0 down interest-only loans !!! If it weren't for that darn media, this guy would have plenty of money to pay off this loan !!! It's simple logic really...

Old 04-24-2008, 06:53 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,876 times
shes right about the contract part. If you can't afford it, It's not up to taxpayers to bail you out. It's your own fault for getting into your own craphole

Old 05-04-2008, 08:29 PM

5 posts, read 26,055 times
If you are out looking for a home in the $500's while only making $25,000 a year...who's the idiot?

So, being well informed about the process of buying a new home makes me arrogant?

The assumption that I work for Toll is a compliment. It means that all the research and work I did before I bought a home made me well informed consumer. Maybe I should forward my resume to Toll. If being sick and tired of people trying to find someone else to blame for their poor decisions makes me arrogant, I accept that compliment as well.

Negative articles, scary news stories, constantly hearing that the housing market is falling apart certainly generates fear. Unfortunately, it causes fear in those that can afford to buy houses and they're not. This affects the market. So yes, the media can claim some of the blame for the down turn in the housing market. The rest we'll just put back on the $25,000 a year "idiot". Oh, I forgot, this "idiot" is blaming everyone else.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:46 PM

523 posts, read 1,417,455 times
Quote:
If you are out looking for a home in the $500's while only making $25,000 a year...who's the idiot?

So, being well informed about the process of buying a new home makes me arrogant?

The assumption that I work for Toll is a compliment. It means that all the research and work I did before I bought a home made me well informed consumer. Maybe I should forward my resume to Toll. If being sick and tired of people trying to find someone else to blame for their poor decisions makes me arrogant, I accept that compliment as well.

Negative articles, scary news stories, constantly hearing that the housing market is falling apart certainly generates fear. Unfortunately, it causes fear in those that can afford to buy houses and they're not. This affects the market. So yes, the media can claim some of the blame for the down turn in the housing market. The rest we'll just put back on the $25,000 a year "idiot". Oh, I forgot, this "idiot" is blaming everyone else.
So, should the media not report that prices are falling faster than they ever have since the Great Depression? Is this news not worthy of being reported? How about the fact that nationwide foreclosures are up 112% since last year?

I am not interested in losing up to $100,000 of my hard-earned money. I think I'll sit this one out for another year or two while the "bubble premium" of the last few years fully evaporates. You would call me a "scared" buyer, I would say that I'm being financially responsible and making an informed decision.

Current year-over-year price trends

Fairfax County....................... -13%
Loudoun County..................... -20%
Prince William County.............. -30%

MRIS Statistics
Foreclosures spike 112%, with no end in sight - Apr. 29, 2008

Old 05-19-2008, 01:23 PM

16 posts, read 79,588 times
Toll brothers have retained our deposit.

Now they sent us notice for payment of remaining 50 k,as per the promisory note?

Any idea how to stop this ?

Old 05-19-2008, 01:51 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patti47 View Post
Toll brothers have retained our deposit.

Now they sent us notice for payment of remaining 50 k,as per the promisory note?

Any idea how to stop this ?
move in to the place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia