Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 08:31 AM

16 posts, read 21,841 times

Advertisements

Hola Everyone!

My hubby and I moved to the DMV in April 2012 (from Alabama). We would are looking to find a safe neighborhood in NOVA that doesn't have such a killer commute. Perhaps a living space of approximately 2500 sq ft +, 3 bdrms 2 bths. Preferably a townhome or single family home with a two car garage, driveway, basement and small back yeadd We don't have any children right now but we are planning to start a family soon, so we'd like to already be in an area that has really good schools. I copied and pasted the following questions that you guys need answers to in order to better assist, so here goes nothing:

-Where you are working? Hubby works in downtown DC and I work in Crystal City

-How much you are willing to spend on housing? Up to $600K

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate? Something in the 30 minute range would be nice

-If you have kids: Private school or public school? Preferably private, but public is also acceptable as long as its a really good school that has good arts and foreign languages programs.

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? We'd like a nice, quiet community that's not TOO far away from places to shop, dine, entertain, etc... A kid friendly community is important to us as we will soon start a family of our own.

-Pie or cake? PIE! Sweet Potatoe to be exact

Hope this is enough info!

Thanks guys![LEFT]

[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 08:42 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,994 times
I doubt that you are going to find 2500 plus sq feet for under 600K within 30 minutes of DC and Crystal city. Up your commute to 60 minutes and come to the South Lakes area of Reston.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:45 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,186 times
Someone else looking for the unicorn...

Old 08-26-2013, 08:50 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,824 times
to downtown DC in 30 minutes for that price is going to be hard. However, there are plenty of places a little further out that offer this. A friend of mine just bought in Burke. You may also look in Springfield or Annandale.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:51 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,265,055 times
30 minutes to downtown is not realistic. Shoot, I used to live 2 blocks from the Ballston metro stop and by the time I walked to metro, train ride and walked to the office it was 40 minutes. Driving took even longer. You need to decide what you can compromise on.

Also private school is extremely expensive here (think college tuition) unless you opt for Catholic school. Private school on top of daycare would be than your mortage

Old 08-26-2013, 09:36 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,254 times
I would also add that 2 car garages are very rare in most communities within a 30 minute commute to downtown DC/CC, unless you have a much larger budget.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:45 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMVNewbie View Post
Hola Everyone!

My hubby and I moved to the DMV in April 2012 (from Alabama). We would are looking to find a safe neighborhood in NOVA that doesn't have such a killer commute. Perhaps a living space of approximately 2500 sq ft +, 3 bdrms 2 bths. Preferably a townhome or single family home with a two car garage, driveway, basement and small back yeadd We don't have any children right now but we are planning to start a family soon, so we'd like to already be in an area that has really good schools. I copied and pasted the following questions that you guys need answers to in order to better assist, so here goes nothing:

-Where you are working? Hubby works in downtown DC and I work in Crystal City

-How much you are willing to spend on housing? Up to $600K

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate? Something in the 30 minute range would be nice

-If you have kids: Private school or public school? Preferably private, but public is also acceptable as long as its a really good school that has good arts and foreign languages programs.

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? We'd like a nice, quiet community that's not TOO far away from places to shop, dine, entertain, etc... A kid friendly community is important to us as we will soon start a family of our own.

-Pie or cake? PIE! Sweet Potatoe to be exact

Hope this is enough info!

Thanks guys![LEFT]

[/LEFT]
Try South Arlington. We live in the Carlin Springs neighborhood (also known as Carlyn Springs or Glencarlyn, zip 22204). Other neighborhoods to check are Barcroft, Alcova Heights, Boulevard Manor, Arlington Forrest (22205). Right now inventory is tight because we're at the end of the summer moving season, however I did see good homes on Realtor.com. I can get to Crystal City in less than 20 minutes by driving and Downtown DC for a little more. There are buses to connect you to the Metro system as well.

For schools, the Arlington School system is excellent with no bad schools. Kid friendly? Yes; we have a library, large park, nature center, community center with preschool, and small church all within the neighborhood.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:06 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
Burke will get you most things (if you count basement as part of your s/f), but you will be over 30 minutes from downtown and two car garages are extremely rare.

You're searching for a needle in a haystack. Even if you had a million dollars, a 30 minute commute to DC in a house that large in a kid friendly neighborhood isn't exactly easy to find.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:22 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,728,289 times
Kingstowne (22315) will get you a two car TH with a garage for roughly $550 - 600K. Though 2 car garages are limited and go quickly. ~30 mins to CC via metro, a bit longer to DC. Decent schools - as is most of FFX County.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:36 PM

513 posts, read 961,904 times
This is troll thread. What you are looking for doesnt exist for 600K within 30 minute commute to dc. Change some of your criteria, condo, 1 car garage or street parking, under 2500, etc.

Otherwise enjoy living in PG County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia