Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 06:10 PM

6 posts, read 6,625 times

Advertisements

I am reaching out on where to start with what to look for as far as transportation and rent. I know nothing about using the Metro or any other public transportation for that matter.

I also have no idea on best places to rent. I will be working on Wilson Blvd in Arlington @ $60-$65 annual......HELP

I'm so lost and confused with all this talk about commuting, parking, set utilities, blah blah blah.

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 06:36 PM

270 posts, read 911,572 times
Welcome! We'd love to help put need some more information. Tell us specifically how much you can spent on rent and how long you are willing to commute so we can narrow down your options.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:24 PM

That is one of my problems. Keep my car or sale. Travel by bus, metro, etc. I guess I don't really want to travel more than 30-45 min. Right around the corner would be even better .

Looking to pay 1500 or less? Not sure what the criteria is for income to rent ratio or if there is one.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:08 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,430,088 times
You didn't mention which part of Arlington, as Wilson Blvd stretches out a couple of miles. I am going to assume you will be in Rossyln, where most of the really big office buildings are located.

You have a number of options. Most people commute into Rosslyn (Arlington) by Metro, though there are some bus lines that serve that area too. That is convenient most of the time, except when the system breaks down. It does from time to time. The metro is EXTREMELY crowded and you will stand in a crush of people during rush hours (around 630-900 am and 330 to 7 pm).

Some people drive in and park. The traffic is nasty and parking is very expensive. It is generally not worth it for a single person, though some people with families in the suburbs will put up with it for the sake of a house and yard further out. In many cases, people commute several hours each way for this.

If you do decide to live "around the corner", you can find older studio apartments within a mile radius that will rent for under $1500, though usually utilities and (often) parking are extra. Cheaper older bedroom apartments a bit closer usually start around $1700. Your best bet would be to do what many younger professionals in the area do - live with a roommate or two in one of the nearby apartments and split rent and utilities. Zillow: Real Estate, Apartments, Mortgage & Home Values in the US is a nice tool that will help you get an idea of rentals in the area. You can use it to look at other areas too. when you open zillow, uncheck the For Sale boxes and just select the For Rent checkbox. Put Rossyln in the search box. You can see more properties by zooming in, or you can drag the mouse over other areas.

When deciding about whether to keep your car, remember that parking won't be your only expense. There's the Arlington property tax to consider when you register your car. Gas will be a lot higher in this area too (GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada). Public transit options in Arlington are some of the best in the country, and you can get a rental car if you want to go back to NC or visit one of the Big Box stores like Costco.

Ballston and Clarenton (in Arlington, further west along Wilson Blvd) are within walkable distance or a short bus or metro hop. Those areas have a lot of bars, restaurants, stores etc as they are very popular with the 20-35 crowd. Apartments are priced higher in those areas but might also be possible for you with a couple of roommates.

Once you figure out which option is best for you, people in the forum will be happy to help you narrow down your choices and answer other questions about the area.

Last edited by ersatz; 09-16-2013 at 01:47 AM.. Reason: more info

Old 09-16-2013, 06:42 AM

9,784 posts, read 15,855,895 times
Arlington, while considered a suburb of DC is pretty urban compared to Morrisville. It actually is probably more like Durham than like a suburb in the Triangle. Readjust your thinking for both price and travel time (distance). Thirty-minute commutes, the norm in the Triangle, are dream commutes in NoVA. Traffic is far worse, so a 15 mile commute which may take 20-25 minutes in the Triangle may take 45 minutes in NoVA.

Having said that, Arlington is not NYC, so a car is still suggested, especially if you already have one, then you should probably keep it. Not that you cannot live car-free, you can, but it would take some work.

You will be unpleasantly surprised by the cost of housing in NoVa. It's probably 100% more than in most parts of the Triangle. $700 one-bedroom apartments just don't exist. It's all about location here. And for the most part, the closer you are to DC, the more expensive (minus some rundown areas). Arlington is considered a close-in suburb and it's quite desireable, so you will pay through the nose to live there.

On the plus side, there are some things that are cheaper in Virginia - income tax, sales tax, car insurance, water (I don't know why water is so darn expensive in NC). Food is about the same, and you will find Harris Teeters in NoVA to make you feel at home. And you will find so many more things to do in DC than in the Triangle. Museum after museum, not to mention all the top tourist attractions like the monuments. There are tons of things going on all weekend, every weekend.

You will learn how to take the Metro or find a bus route.

If I were you, I'd negotiate as much as possible for the higher salary or even more if you can. You will want it!

Old 09-16-2013, 07:15 AM

Thank you for your comments. I must say that I realize I must be more specific in what I am looking for....there are so many options that I did not think about in my initial posts. So here goes.....

~ I am mid 40, so roommates are not what I am looking to have or an extremely active nightlife.

~ I will most likely keep my car and can handle traveling an hour I guess

~ Yes it is near Rosslyn ( I have learned)

~ I did see that some people commute from MD? Thoughts on that please

~ unfortunately negotiating for even more will be out of the question. At least in the beginning. This will be my "opening debut" in this type of position and I am not in a field that makes loads of $$$$

~ Crowded Metro day after day is not something that sounds like much fun.

~ I even looked into extended stay hotels to see what those would run, I will be starting from the ground up. Leaving pretty much everything with my daughter vs her not having anything.

I hope this helps give a clearer picture of what I am looking for in my next chapter in life. I am pretty laid back and just want a cute little place that is safe, not lots of hassle to get back and forth, but still convenient to some of the fun stuff the area has to offer.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:42 AM

111 posts, read 316,335 times
$1500 rent and not wanting roommates is not going to happen in Arlington.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:48 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,591,813 times
I disagree. I think it is possible to find a small studio apartment for under $1500 in Arlington, particularly in locations removed from a Metro station such as the Columbia Pike area.
That area would be under a 30 minute commute to Rosslyn. Either only like a 10 minute drive, or, if parking is prohibitively expensive, a short bus ride to the Pentagon Metro station, which is only two stops from Rosslyn.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:36 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,529,995 times
Hmm. If you are 40 and kids/schools aren't a factor, I'd look at places in Prince George's -- Bowie, Cheverly, Hyattsville, come to mind. They are on the opposite end of the Orange Line and far cheaper than comparable places in VA.

On the VA side, maybe Springfield (Blue Line) or Fairfax (nearish the Orange Line) could be considered.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:23 PM

9,784 posts, read 15,855,895 times
I wonder if an apartment right by the Vienna Metro Station would work. It's a nice, pretty suburban area. You could hop on the Metro to work (last stop so you'd get a seat). I know you said being on a crowded Metro was not what you consider fun, but I personally preferred riding the Metro versus driving. I did it for 9 years - sat down, read a book, arrived at my stop refreshed. I loved it! My car got little use and wear and tear during those years.

I think you could get a place for under $1500 by the Vienna Metro. Although, no matter where you live, make sure you factor in cost of commute. Some places subsidize if you take public transportation, which can be a real bonus because Metro isn't cheap, but neither is driving/parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia