Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 02:03 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,292,026 times

Advertisements

I find it amazing how mods will shut down one topic in no time but will allow others to continue. This has evolved into a pissing contest, as stated by another, between a few who feel the need to continue with their own agendas. I'm only reading now for the humor factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 04:58 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,604,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Oh man. Yep you are right. Pure genius

I'm just gonna put these here

Vienna 5 bedroom
115 Locust St SW, Vienna, VA 22180 is For Sale - Zillow

Loudoun 5 bedroom
41819 Bristow Manor Dr, Ashburn, VA 20148 is For Sale - Zillow

Yea no, you are right, exactly the same price

PS, 800k in inner Fairfax or Arlington gets you
5409 22nd Rd N, Arlington, VA 22205 is For Sale - Zillow

Seems like a starter home to me champ.

Head:Sand

You live in Shangri La of Roanoke, so perhaps I must find your Utopia before being able to speak to Master

PSS

Your ritzy Connecticut version of Fairfax 5 bedroom
5 Douglas Ln, New Fairfield, CT 06812 is For Sale - Zillow

Here this one is cheaper than most 5bd in Fairfax and even comes with a lake side view
80 S Lake Shore Dr, Brookfield, CT 06804 is For Sale - Zillow
What does cherry picking a few listings prove? I know what I saw when I looked.

Quote:
Not to mention he thinks that cities in the Northeast are becoming weaker economically, which is so laughable it hurts.
It's laughable someone could be ignorant and obstinate. The Northeast (which shock of shocks is not just NYC and Boston-something you don't seem to understand due no doubt to your preferred cranial storage place) is hurting bad. It's been hurting bad for decades.

The death of the Erie canal killed western New York and the loss of textile manufacturing and lumber related jobs ruined the economies of much of New England; something many of those communities never really recovered from.

Quote:
No matter what statistics, facts, and evidence shows that NOVA is economically better off (or cities are doing better than exurban areas) the contrarians make excuses like "well if this was like this then". If NYC wasn't on prime real estate with so many major corporations located within it, then it would totally be worthless. Hell if Palo Alto wasn't full of smart people, it'd just be a hill in the middle of a fault line right? Whats anything worth, unless it has commodities underneath it right? Cause tangible goods are the only measure of a locations economic capability.
I never said NOVA isn't prosperous, it is. And that is indisputably due to the fact DC is right there and the federal government cannot control it's spending. This is a fact.

For comparison Manhattan was settled early by the Dutch for it's rich hunting, river and sea access, and agriculture (the Bronx was still farms in the mid 1800's) and it just kind of evolved from there.

Now the problem with you is that you think NoVa is somehow unique. It's not.

Culturally (a term I'm using very loosely here) and socioeconomically it's far from unique and it's entire economy is completely over dependent on one sector that cannot be counted on to last forever. And when the federal largesse goes, your invincible property values will go with it and you get knocked down a few pegs.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I find it amazing how mods will shut down one topic in no time but will allow others to continue. This has evolved into a pissing contest, as stated by another, between a few who feel the need to continue with their own agendas. I'm only reading now for the humor factor.
The only reason this thread caught my eye (because otherwise NOVA may as well be on the moon for all I care in my daily life though I'm peeved at them electing a scummy carpetbagger who will wreck the commonwealth) was "Rodney Dangerfield"...he was born in my hometown.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:57 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,329,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostopsy View Post
Oh please, if you want to talk about carpetbaggery, NOVA takes the cake. While states that actually produce things (Illinois, New York, Texas) get less than what they put in for federal income taxes, Virginia gets a whooping $1.51 per $1 paid in Federal incomes. No one is shedding a tear when the citizens of Fairfax cry poor mouth.

So you're still 10% underwater on an overpriced house. Congratulations.
That was at the bottom of the market, in case you haven't checked prices are now above that level in most parts of Fairfax, especially around the beltway.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
What does cherry picking a few listings prove? I know what I saw when I looked.

Culturally (a term I'm using very loosely here) and socioeconomically it's far from unique and it's entire economy is completely over dependent on one sector that cannot be counted on to last forever. And when the federal largesse goes, your invincible property values will go with it and you get knocked down a few pegs.
It proves you dont know anything. That isn't cherry picking, you can ask anyone on this board, a starter home in Fairfax is the same price as a 5br dream home in Loudoun. Its literally the most frequent subject of discussion on this subforum.

Secondly, again, as far as industries go, I enjoy betting on the US Government as a long term secure base. You bring up the crying over sequester and the shutdown. Shutdown aside (considering the US government isnt going to long term shut down), the sequester is a nuisance but has had no impact at all on real estate. Its still impossible to find an at proven price home in Fairfax that doesnt sell under 30 days; hence why the prices continue to rise.

Your discussion about the manufacturing outsite of city regions of New York City proves my point that the true economy bastions remain in educated and stable BLUE cities. All of the areas you mentioned are heavily republican (For example Peter Kings district). When I talk about the northeast, I mean it's cities, as it's a micro-version of the nation as a whole, showing that the non-cities are all buoyed by the production of the cities (as has been the case for all of human civilization).

Go look at a map of Texas jobs added, they all cluster at the cities not in the small towns. Even the new conservative counterpoint to the idea of tax-rate irrelevance still shows that companies don't care about local taxes, they will still cluster at proven job centers with the best employment talent despite cheaper land and tax rates it outer areas.

If you want a pi$$ing match as people have noted on this thread, I've been hydrating, I'll go all day.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Secondly, again, as far as industries go, I enjoy betting on the US Government as a long term secure base. You bring up the crying over sequester and the shutdown. Shutdown aside (considering the US government isnt going to long term shut down), the sequester is a nuisance but has had no impact at all on real estate. Its still impossible to find an at proven price home in Fairfax that doesnt sell under 30 days; hence why the prices continue to rise.
The "sequester" is nonsense. I'm talking the inevitable real reduction in government spending. Might take five years make take 50, but nothing lasts forever. When that happens NOVA will have to compete on its own merits and contrary to what you may think I hope it does since we're all in this together.

Quote:
Your discussion about the manufacturing outsite of city regions of New York City proves my point that the true economy bastions remain in educated and stable BLUE cities. All of the areas you mentioned are heavily republican (For example Peter Kings district). When I talk about the northeast, I mean it's cities, as it's a micro-version of the nation as a whole, showing that the non-cities are all buoyed by the production of the cities (as has been the case for all of human civilization).
Dude...NY state is huge. Even its larger cities outside of the NYC metro area like Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, etc. are dying and dying fast. You cannot pick just NYC or just Boston and say the whole region is super-duper.

It's not. I went to college in upstate NY and parts of the area look like actual war zones from urban decay and blight. Chronic unemployment and welfare dependence is also a real problem in the region.

Quote:
Go look at a map of Texas jobs added, they all cluster at the cities not in the small towns. Even the new conservative counterpoint to the idea of tax-rate irrelevance still shows that companies don't care about local taxes, they will still cluster at proven job centers with the best employment talent despite cheaper land and tax rates it outer areas.
I think this depends on industry. Obviously even in a booming field like say, natural gas you're not going to get any operations set up in downtown Houston; thats silly.

But it provides stable middle class living for its employees and the industries that crop up around them out in the boonies. Ditto for mining, refining, logging, whatever.

Capital will almost always be more attracted to cities; location location location after all.

But tax rates and such still matter; see Salt Lake City UT, Charlottesville SC, or Scottsdale AZ for example.

They're becoming quite the draw due to their business friendly climate and tax structure. A place can be urban and fiscally wise; I never said one must live in exurbs to be prosperous.

Quote:
If you want a pi$$ing match as people have noted on this thread, I've been hydrating, I'll go all day.
Um, OK. Again I do hope when the federal gravy train ends (and it will) the red state governance you malign keeps NOVA prosperous on its own two feet. Because if we get blue state governance NOVA will not be able to justify it's costs to anyone without a federal government to depend on.

Trust me, no one is beating down the door to open shop in NJ or NY these days.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
The "sequester" is nonsense. I'm talking the inevitable real reduction in government spending. Might take five years make take 50, but nothing lasts forever. When that happens NOVA will have to compete on its own merits and contrary to what you may think I hope it does since we're all in this together.

Dude...NY state is huge. Even its larger cities outside of the NYC metro area like Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, etc. are dying and dying fast. You cannot pick just NYC or just Boston and say the whole region is super-duper.

It's not. I went to college in upstate NY and parts of the area look like actual war zones from urban decay and blight. Chronic unemployment and welfare dependence is also a real problem in the region.

I think this depends on industry. Obviously even in a booming field like say, natural gas you're not going to get any operations set up in downtown Houston; thats silly.

But it provides stable middle class living for its employees and the industries that crop up around them out in the boonies. Ditto for mining, refining, logging, whatever.

Capital will almost always be more attracted to cities; location location location after all.

But tax rates and such still matter; see Salt Lake City UT, Charlottesville SC, or Scottsdale AZ for example.

They're becoming quite the draw due to their business friendly climate and tax structure. A place can be urban and fiscally wise; I never said one must live in exurbs to be prosperous.

Um, OK. Again I do hope when the federal gravy train ends (and it will) the red state governance you malign keeps NOVA prosperous on its own two feet. Because if we get blue state governance NOVA will not be able to justify it's costs to anyone without a federal government to depend on.

Trust me, no one is beating down the door to open shop in NJ or NY these days.
(The federal gravy train) Federal acquisition spending and contracting has been fairly flat. Expected budget growth is from entitlements, which have nothing to do with NOVA.

If anything is going to happen to the gravy train, its going to hurt areas like Miami-Dade and your example of Phoenix far more than DC suburbs in the form of reforms to those costly programs.

PS, only 46% of federal spending in the state of Virginia goes to the Northern Virginia suburbs.

Your babble is just that, supposition and babble derived from watching too much Fox News and ignoring the actual data that is available to the public.

PSS, areas like Buffalo, Syracuse, and Albany are exactly the areas I speak of, they are far more red, have far cheaper tax rates than NYC. What they lack is an educated population in comparison to NYC, a lack of a business friendly environment where companies can hub, and an inability to draw the best of the best. In the post-manufacturing economy those are the areas that will hurt the most, as will the south, because all they have been able to offer is cheaper not better.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:14 AM

A story on plenty of businesses starting up in NYC

From Startup Nation to Startup City

Increasingly, startups founded in foreign countries are putting this booming city on the map. Israel, which has been dubbed the "Startup Nation," is among those nations churning out big startups and moving them to the Big Apple. The nation is already home to more than 5,000 startups, 70 venture capital firms, 24 accelerators and 250 global R&D centers.

It's estimated that New York's startup community consists of at least 200 active startups founded by Israelis alone, including Conduit, Taboola, Kaltura and Fiverr. The majority of these Israeli-founded startups have raised at least $10 million in funding each: Conduit raised $110 million, Taboola raked in $40 million, Kaltura $68 million and Fiverr counts $20 million under its belt. With Israel on the fast track to revolutionizing the tech landscape, in the next decade we can expect to see even more cash flowing into Israeli startups - and importantly, their counterparts in NYC.

A Hub of International Success

It's not just Israeli entrepreneurs who are making New York's startup community their home base. Mendeley, for example, is a London-founded startup that recently set up a New York City office. The startup helps manage, organize and share academic knowledge. Since its founding in 2008, the startup has raised over $2 million -- another testament to the booming class of international startups making waves in the Big Apple.

Another successful startup that has relocated to New York is Shapeways, founded in the Netherlands. This leading 3D printing marketplace and community has raised $47 million since its initial launch in the Netherlands. It has also become a part of the Made in NY initiative, a collection of more than 600 companies spotlighted by New York Tech Meetup, a monthly event for networking, demoing ideas and hearing from tech thought leaders. In fact, a considerable number of foreign-launched startups are already part of the Made in NY initiative, including Adaptly, BillGuard, Fitango and Memrise.

Massive Growth: No Longer on the West Coast Only

Since 2007, New York's tech-information sector has grown by 11 percent and is responsible for one-third of private sector job growth. The city joins San Francisco to make up the nation's two leading "digital cities." As growth continues, it's important we don't forget the international community's dedication to pushing NYC to this top spot in the tech sector.

Foreign countries continue to help make NYC a thriving tech hub. The reason behind the shift becomes clear when we consider everything the city has to offer these startups in return: a central location, an influx of bright minds and a supportive network of other tech innovators. All these elements make NYC an attractive locale. In the end, the city's offerings amount to a win-win for all.

The Rise of New York's Internationally Founded Tech Startups | Michal Tsur

In case you find Huff Post to be a left wing rag

http://www.nationaljournal.com/next-...-boom-20131016

Or how about pro Republican Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/natalier...-nyc-startups/

Old 11-13-2013, 08:51 AM

Man, since you're obviously hell-bent on getting the last word to make yourself feel better about being underwater on an overpriced home in an overpriced area, I'll let you have that much to help you sleep at night.

PS

I've lived in new England and you have not. Nor do I watch Fox news or any televised news. Your assumptions show your lack of worldliness.

Get out of that NOVA bubble kiddo, it's a big country.

Enjoy that last word. You've earned it.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Man, since you're obviously hell-bent on getting the last word to make yourself feel better about being underwater on an overpriced home in an overpriced area, I'll let you have that much to help you sleep at night.

PS

I've lived in new England and you have not. Nor do I watch Fox news or any televised news. Your assumptions show your lack of worldliness.

Get out of that NOVA bubble kiddo, it's a big country.

Enjoy that last word. You've earned it.
I'm not underwater, the unit next to me actually sold at 15% higher than I bought "kiddo". Off you go to Roanoke now, to complain about big government all the while enjoying the proverbial NOVA federally fueled trough that supports your schools and roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia