Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 03:20 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times

Advertisements

How was this allowed to happen for so long?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...y.html?hpid=z7

EXCLUSIVE: Minnieland toddler class subjected to months of

Search for Child Day Care - Virginia Department of Social Services
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 04:26 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
I think it's appalling. I know that my story is anectdotal but I will say that I have *never* liked Minnieland. My kids are no 22 and 18, but we used daycare in the Woodbridge area for many, many years. There is a Minnieville right up the street from me and several on my way to work. I tried them several times with both children and never stayed there more than a summer. I was not impressed with ANY of the child care workers that they had hired at the various locations. It was like they just didn't care who they hired. I am not surprised that this is going on there. I did end up finding a non-chain center that operates right off of Smoketown across from the Kohl's. They didn't have the prettiest facility but they had great staff, virtually no employee turnover, and my kids ended up being there for years.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:52 AM

617 posts, read 1,355,752 times
I was afraid this would get posted. I understand it's a big story in the area right now, but I was hoping it would get skipped, at least for a little while. Unfortunately, my youngest kid (son) was one of the children involved. I don't really want to say too much about it at the moment because it's still a pretty fresh wound, and there's a lot going on right now. I'll keep people updated when I can if you are interested in how things turn out.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:06 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
I was afraid this would get posted. I understand it's a big story in the area right now, but I was hoping it would get skipped, at least for a little while. Unfortunately, my youngest kid (son) was one of the children involved. I don't really want to say too much about it at the moment because it's still a pretty fresh wound, and there's a lot going on right now. I'll keep people updated when I can if you are interested in how things turn out.

Gosh, I am so sorry to hear this. It is a tough thing, as a parent, to have to deal with. Please do keep us posted. I'm no longer in the daycare stages but it was such a big part of my parenting life for so long, I really feel for parents going through this.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:09 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Forehead, so sorry to hear that. Hope you sue the s--t out of them and get these sadistic subhumans thrown in jail for life.

Unfortunately, this could happen anywhere. We know someone whose child's hands were horribly burned on a radiator at the DiploTots (State Department daycare) in DC.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:59 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
I am so sorry to hear that. My oldest child was in daycare for a couple of years and it was always our biggest fear to know how the people who were watching her were treating her. We had a couple of situations where we suspected something happening but of course it was difficult to prove without being there and without our child really being able to communicate. Once we started getting signs that it was happening we took her out. It's tough because you just feel like you can't trust anyone. I can certainly empathize with you and the pain that must be feeling.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:09 AM

102 posts, read 539,490 times
Wow, Forehead, I am really sorry to hear that, and I hope that you and your family can achieve some sort of resolution and peace about everything.

Carlingtonian, I tried to rep you for your comments but apparently I need to spread the rep love around.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:25 AM

320 posts, read 480,382 times
Quote:
Forehead,

I'm sorry you are going through this. How awful for you and your family. Sending supportive thoughts your way...

Old 11-16-2013, 01:56 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Default Similiar incident

Our daughter had a reported incident at Minnieland but the one at Occoquan a while ago. One of their employees reported the abuser who we were told was promptly fired. They never gave us the abuser's name although CPS said they legally have to provide the abuser/fired worker. Minnieland also told us that they reported this incident to CPS; of which they never did. CPS has an enforcement branch and a licensing branch and they don't talk (which is unfortunate).

Once the incident was reported, the director and some off-site supervisor gave us the background (according to them). They actually asked if we wanted to return after a leave-of-absence. They found out on a Thursday, did a quick inquiry, fired the worker Friday morning and then called us late on Friday!! We dropped our daughter off on Friday not knowing but they did and didn't say a word when we dropped her off. When we had the private meeting that Friday afternoon, few details were provided to us.

We made a formal complaint to CPS (licensing) and they weren't happy about the delay between the abuse date and our complaint filing. We told them that Minnieland had told us that they already filed a report (as they legally must do).

I believe our situation came to light only because we befriended a couple of the infant caretakers who felt bad and one of them (we never found out who exactly) made the complaint to Minnieland management. During the final meeting with Minnieland, they actually said even though they did an inquiry, none of their employees we aware of the specifics or who was abused. We said that is the biggest load of crap and to give your employees more credit. The caretakers are constantly catty about who was late for the third time this week, who was a management favorite, etc. Come on. The employees there, even the silent ones, are smarter than management gives them credit; which may be half the problem. It's a business.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:42 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,151 times
Our experience with the Minnieland in Reston (which is no longer open due to the building being bought out) was good. But, that was all due to the people who were running that particular center while we were there. I am still in touch with quite a few of the management and caretakers from that facility. Although, we apparently started after some big incident that occurred at that location and several caretakers were let go.

I am so sorry to hear about this Forehead. Best of luck to your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia