Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 04:50 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,836 times

Advertisements

Arlington along the Orange Line is only busy and loud within a half mile of the stations. Just past that, you will find many quiet suburban neighborhoods in great school districts. Look in 22207 and 22205 for Arlington. (I don't know Vienna well.) I think you would like Westover--one of the few remaining small-town-like shopping districts in Arlington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 05:05 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,470,013 times
Have you thought about a housing budget? That will determine whether you can have good schools and a commute that is relatively short.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:08 PM

23 posts, read 22,813 times
Thank you all for the great advice! Lots to think about. I begin dreading the future...

ACWhite, our rent budget is up to 4K per month. I think this should be sufficient for a decent apartment for some 6 months or so. After that we're planning to buy a house. But before that, we want to get familiar with the area, visit many towns around, then see how we feel about them.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:45 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,526,625 times
Get an apartment in DC fairly close to your work while you search for a place to take roots. The DC public elementary schools along the western branch of the Red Line in NW DC are actually quite good. Janney, Key, Lafayette, Murch, Mann are the better ones -- you ought to be able to get a 2BR apartment in those areas for your budget.

If that doesn't work for some reason, something in North Arlington near -- but not on -- the Orange Line will be what you'd want.

If you're from Europe, I am going to guess you're used to older/smaller housing stock, so we don't have to make you understand you're *not* getting a 300 square meter single family home within 30 minutes of downtown DC for $350k.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:08 PM

Thanks Stpickrell for the info about the Orange Line.
Actually, I've been living in the US for 14 years, so I'm used to the spacious newly-built houses in this country. 2BR would be way too small for us, I'm afraid. I do realize how much the houses cost in the DC area, been doing the research for a while. I'm realistic, but we don't dread a high price for the right house in a right place.

We used to live in Connecticut, where my husband is from, and there are plenty of little towns that have a cozy atmosphere and somewhat upscale touch. This is something I'm looking for.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:14 PM

9,782 posts, read 15,841,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniceSunrise View Post
We used to live in Connecticut, where my husband is from, and there are plenty of little towns that have a cozy atmosphere and somewhat upscale touch. This is something I'm looking for.
Connecticut and several of the New England states have many more small towns that Northern Virginia. It is often a complaint from people moving from that area that there are not a plethora of small towns in NoVA. You'll probably find that it is overall large suburban sprawl and not quaint towns that CT has. There are a few exceptions to this, but not many. And even those aren't quiet and not particularly quaint.

You might really want to look at neighborhoods rather than towns. North Arlington has some nice, cute neighborhoods that feed into good schools and are pretty close in. Falls Church City might work, too or even some neighborhoods in McLean. I lived in Vienna and thought it was great but would not meet your commute time requirement.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:23 PM

Michgc, yes, I've heard good things about the Falls Church City, and we'll definitely check it out. It's on the top of our list.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:37 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,526,625 times
You could rent and then check out areas near to the Silver Line stations when that opens.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:31 AM

Could anyone please advise on a good (ideally, the best) high school in Church Falls City or very close to it? We're trying to narrow down our options as it's all too overwhelming - the area is SO huge! I don't have any experience with schools as we don't have kids, so I really have no clue where to start. We'll have our niece stay with us for a year and I want her to have the best memories about her stay in this country. I'm looking for a public school, not prep.
Thanks so much!

Old 01-30-2014, 07:36 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,326,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniceSunrise View Post
Could anyone please advise on a good (ideally, the best) high school in Church Falls City or very close to it? We're trying to narrow down our options as it's all too overwhelming - the area is SO huge! I don't have any experience with schools as we don't have kids, so I really have no clue where to start. We'll have our niece stay with us for a year and I want her to have the best memories about her stay in this country. I'm looking for a public school, not prep.
Thanks so much!
There's only 1 high school in City of Falls Church. It's very good. Pretty much every high school in Fairfax County is good, I think you're splitting hairs worrying about it. There are a select few elementary schools here and there I might avoid but overall the school system in this area is one of the best in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia