Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 08:24 AM

23 posts, read 22,670 times

Advertisements

I know I'm a bit picky here, but I really want to settle down for good and not have to move all the time, so I'm a bit nervous about landing in a wrong place. We've been researching many places, and almost moved to TN but a much better opportunity popped up in DC. With my niece planning to stay with us, I want to kill two birds with one stone and land near a good school for her as well, not just a good apartment/house to rent for us.

Oh, and another question: Does one have to attend the school they live the closest to? Or do they have freedom to choose which school they want to attend?
Thanks so much!

Last edited by VeniceSunrise; 01-30-2014 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 11:50 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,321,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniceSunrise View Post
I know I'm a bit picky here, but I really want to settle down for good and not have to move all the time, so I'm a bit nervous about landing in a wrong place. We've been researching many places, and almost moved to TN but a much better opportunity popped up in DC. With my niece planning to stay with us, I want to kill two birds with one stone and land near a good school for her as well, not just a good apartment/house to rent for us.

Oh, and another question: Does one have to attend the school they live the closest to? Or do they have freedom to choose which school they want to attend?
Thanks so much!
Other posters are more knowledgeable on school issues, but I know you can't just pick what school you want. I think you can apply to attend a school your home isn't zoned for, and if there's room they may allow it. I also think you have to pay tuition or some type of fees to do that. With how crowded most schools in this area are I would not count on being able to do that.

Maybe you should browse Fairfax County's website. A plethora of info there on school related items. You could also look at Arlington County & City of Falls Church websites if you are interested in schools there.

FCPS Home Page Redirect Page

Old 01-30-2014, 12:47 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,102,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniceSunrise View Post

Thanks so much!
As noted, there is only one high school in the City of Falls Church, George Mason, and that's the only public school you can attend if you live there, except for the math/science magnet at Thomas Jefferson HSST in Fairfax if you are admitted.

If you're in Fairfax or Arlington County, you have an assigned school based on your residence. That may - or may not - be the closest school to your house. You also have some ability to attend a school that is not your assigned school that offers a different curriculum than your base school. So, for example, if you are zoned for Yorktown in Arlington, you may be able to attend Washington-Lee because Yorktown has AP classes and W-L has an IB program (as well as AP classes). On the other hand, to take another example, if you are zoned for McLean in Fairfax, you generally would not be eligible to attend Langley, because they are both AP schools, but you could attend Marshall, because it's an IB school. Students in Arlington and Fairfax are both eligible to attend TJ as well if admitted.

The City of Alexandria also has its own school system (which is separate from the parts of Fairfax County with Alexandria addresses). There is one HS - TC Williams. Historically, Alexandria City would not allow its students to attend TJ. There's been some talk of changing that, but I don't know if that's happened.

Last edited by JD984; 01-30-2014 at 01:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia