Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 04:20 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebeyer2013 View Post
I clicked on your link - here's the message I get: "It seems we can’t find what you’re looking for. Perhaps searching, or one of the links below, can help."

I think the first sentence might aptly summarize some of the things you're saying on this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 06:50 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,250 times
Quote:
Would you want your daughter (or son) to be in this type of environment? Are you aware that Obama and Holder fully support discipline quotas, and teachers must take into account a student's race, when filing a discipline report? Will people, who commit sexual assaults do so with impunity because they know that the racial quota for the school was reached (before Labor Day)?
This is insanity. A sexual assault won't be reported because the school has hit some kind of racial discipline quota? Please stop posting this nonsense.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:27 AM

469 posts, read 1,037,357 times
Obama administration guidelines could lead to racial quotas in school discipline - Washington Times

Old 02-05-2014, 04:55 AM

I think the headline says it all - "could" lead to quotas. I read through the article. Sounds like some fear mongering to me, not to mention the fact that the article specifically states that the "guidelines" are completely non-binding. Interesting that some of these other news sources covering the same thing don't mention quotas at all:

U.S. Departments of Education and Justice Release School Discipline Guidance Package to Enhance School Climate and Improve School Discipline Policies/Practices | U.S. Department of Education
School discipline: New US guidelines shift away from zero-tolerance policies (+video) - CSMonitor.com
Holder, Duncan announce national guidelines on school discipline - The Washington Post
Feds issue guidelines against bias in school discipline - Los Angeles Times
U.S. acts to keep minority, disabled students out of jail | Reuters
Groups welcome federal school discipline guide - Chicago Tribune
Federal school discipline guidelines reflect Colorado's 'baby steps' - The Denver Post
Guidelines aim to reform school discipline - Baltimore Sun
Feds criticize school discipline as harsh | UTSanDiego.com

I suppose the Department of Education, the Christian Science Monitor, the Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, Reuters, the Chicago Tribune, the Denver Post, the Baltimore Sun, the San Diego Union-Tribune, as well as all the other news organizations that covered the story might be in on some big, mainstream media conspiracy to delude us all, but I think the simpler explanation is the more likely one - the Washington Times is simply covering the release of these non-binding guidelines in a partisan manner.

Even assuming the Obama administration supports some sort of racial quota system for school discipline, these guidelines were just released this month. So, this completely undercuts your suggestion that current school statistics on disciplinary incidents would be inaccurate because of racial quotas. I suppose select school districts may have quotas already in place, but, again, let's see your evidence of such things.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:16 AM

The letter discussing discrimination and, specifically, the disparate impact discussion that the Washington Times says could lead to quotas is available here: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/lis...1-title-vi.pdf. Specifically, the disparate impact discussion begins on pg. 12. Based on my quick reading, I would say the letter (and it's important to note it is simply a letter, nothing more) is simply attempting to provide a summary of existing federal law that has been around for a long time. This is not an administrative rule-making document, it is not legislation, it really isn't anything other than an attempt to help people understand existing federal law governing discrimination.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:11 PM

Admissions quotas, by race, have been around for decades. They are simply quotas on academic "discipline." If they can find ways to enforce quotas on academic discipline; why wouldn't they enforce them on behavioral discipline. It really isn't much of a stretch.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
If they can find ways to enforce quotas on academic discipline; why wouldn't they enforce them on behavioral discipline. It really isn't much of a stretch.
Well, you can hypothesize all you want about what might be true or what could be true. Unfortunately, that doesn't make it actually true.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:01 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,492 times
Of course if these guidelines were released in response to minorities getting harsher punishments for the same offenses ... but I guess that would go against your realm of possibility.

Rather, I believe some schools punish minorities (more) harshly and others are reluctant to make minority groups angry and so let them off more easily.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
I suppose select school districts may have quotas already in place, but, again, let's see your evidence of such things.
OK. How about this resolution recently signed by SF Unified School Board:
http://www.fixschooldiscipline.org/w...n-12-10-13.pdf

"The Superintendent's plan should include policies and approaches aimed at ending the disproportionate referral, suspension and expulsion rates of African-American students."

Old 02-09-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
OK. How about this resolution recently signed by SF Unified School Board:
http://www.fixschooldiscipline.org/w...n-12-10-13.pdf

"The Superintendent's plan should include policies and approaches aimed at ending the disproportionate referral, suspension and expulsion rates of African-American students."
Well, good job. You searched and found one school district that appears to have some sort of vague policy that could, maybe, just might, result in a numerical quota. And, I'm glad to see you found a school district that is as representative of the country as one can get - San Francisco.

I suppose San Francisco is under direct orders from Obama and Holder, right? Probably only a matter of time before we have nationwide quotas, I'm sure. I guess I better get myself to all all-white school district before I have kids to make sure they don't suffer under this tyranny that is to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia