Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 05:30 PM

60 posts, read 83,388 times

Advertisements

What is the best dog park in DC or western DC suburban areas and what is your reasoning?

Please rate by

-Cleanliness
-Reponsible Owners
-Behavior of Dogs
-Accessibility
-Fenced or not
-Other perks/cons

THANK YOU !

Old 01-30-2014, 07:01 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,213,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RELpara View Post
Excuse me? The posters in that thread did not take it very seriously. I'd like serious replies. I don't find your response even remotely helpful.
Those that had knowledge of specific dog parks did take is seriously. Those that thought it funny that "single women" had different needs for dog parks made quips. But those people likely don't have any experience at either.

So, I'll give you my opinion.....I've been to both the Reston and the Herndon parks, although not in 4 years or so, since I moved away. Public dog parks are all a crap shoot. You can have thoughtful owners, or sh*t-heads can show up. You, as a good owner, need to be vigilant and proactive and remove your dog at the first sign of bad dog or owner behavior.

If you are very concerned, you should look into the Leesburg Canine Country Club. It's a dog park with a fee, so owners and dogs need to be per-qualified based on demeanor.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:14 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,145,186 times
The only dog park I've experienced is the Woodbridge/lake ridge near the Minnieville and Colby roads and it desperately needs grass. It's great because many dog.owners can't let their dogs off leash were it not for dog parks.

If you establish your question on here somewhat humorously, you often will ironically get humor back.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:27 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,968,297 times
Absolute best place to let a dog run off leash (though not a "dog park"): Virginia Arboretum
Hundreds of acres of fields and trails to walk around with your dog. Will need a good recall, as there are horse trails and other visitors and a few roads throughout. It's totally free, everyone I've seen is responsible, and it's BEAUTIFUL. It's also 90 minutes from DC, so it's not an every day things.

Arboretum - blandy

Best within DC suburbs: Shirlington
This is a long and narrow park, so people are less likely to just sit and zone out while their dog explores. Most people walk with their dog, which means they are more likely to pick up after their dog and notice when their dog is behaving inappropriately. It is fully fenced. There is a creek down below that you can access if you are relatively well-balanced at going down rocky hills. The creek is not fenced (it is in a ravine, and the far side is a busy road). This is a god send during the summer when my fluffy black dog is too hot to exercise.

The rest of the dog parks are pretty interchangeable, in my opinion. I have spent a lot of time at the one on Duke Street by the library, Towers Park in Arlington (bonus points that they have lights till 10:00, helpful in the winter when it's dark so early), Mason District Park in Annandale (has gravel which helps with the mud), and South Run in Springfield. All of them are basically the same. A space the size of a football field, a few trees, and benches or tables where the owners like to sit with cell phones and let their dogs run around for an hour after work.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:31 AM

60 posts, read 83,388 times
Thank you I appreciate the thoughtful replies. That's very helpful. I now have a much better understanding of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia