Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 06:30 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,804,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaughery View Post
Appreciate the updates/advice, folks.

A few more questions - is Clarendon a quick jump to 66 like Ballston is? I am more a fan of dive bars than fratty bars, so sounds like Ballston might not be a fantastic fit, other than just a quick metro ride to DC.

Also Clarendon seems more expensive than Raleigh based on a 60 second craigslist search. Is that the case? Or just what I happen to be seeing on craigslist.

Lastly, would there be anywhere decent and fun in DC to live that would be about the same distance/time to Reston? Or close to it anyways?

The 45 minute drive + tolls won't really bother me, except on the days where that 45 turns into 1.5 hours on the way in. On the way out, if traffic is that bad, time to stop for an early dinner to let it pass.

Thanks again for the advice so far!
The housing expense in Raleigh is nowhere near the cost of housing in Arlington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 07:22 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,518,606 times
Why are you moving from Raleigh if it's working out well for you so far?

Or, find a job in Arlington/DC. A job in Reston doesn't jive with your stated preferences, although to be fair, preferences like that go by the wayside when it's between "working" and "not working."

Old 02-03-2014, 07:48 AM

47 posts, read 78,049 times
As long as the finances work out to afford what you want in Arlington, I'd totally live in Arlington over Reston if I were in your shoes. It is pricey, but worth it. I can't speak to where you're most likely to find dive type bars since I've been out of the scene for a while - but you'll have a better social life being in Arlington vs. Reston. I'm not into the preppy/frat boy scene either and I had a lot of fun going out in Arlington when I was single. At the very least, it'll be easier for you to get to DC (metro or cab). There's not really any neighborhoods of DC or MD that will offer what you want and have a shorter commute - they're all farther from Reston. I know it's not a lot of fun to move, but since you're renting - if you don't like where you start out, you can always move later. I do a 45 min commute and it's really not that terrible - NPR keeps me company. My breaking point is 1 hr commute, because when there's delays 1h15m or 1h30m gets really long.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:38 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,281,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaughery View Post

Also Clarendon seems more expensive than Raleigh based on a 60 second craigslist search. Is that the case? Or just what I happen to be seeing on craigslist.
It sounds like you probably need to do a little more research on the cost of living the the NOVA area. (From someone from NOVA now living in the Triangle)

Old 02-03-2014, 01:00 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,579,444 times
Oh man, sorry mlaughery, but you are in for a very rude awakening if you expected this area to be similar in costs to Raleigh. The DC metro area is one of the top five most expensive in the country, right behind New York and San Francisco. You might have to pay hundreds of dollars more per month to get the same standard of housing as you have in Raleigh.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:23 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,183,151 times
As others have suggested, Arlington's Clarendon neighborhood is closest to what you're looking for. Just be prepared to pay a(n even higher) premium because of its popularity, Metro convenience and proximity to DC.

Along the lines of what DC area refugee shared, I would think that either Metro or Fairfax Connector would offer connecting buses between the upcoming Wiehle Ave. stop and Reston Town Center once the Silver Line opens. But that may not be determined for another couple months at least.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:27 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,250,631 times
The Fairfax Connector Silver Line bus service plans have been established.

Silver Line Bus Routes: Reston Area*- Fairfax County, Virginia

The 505 will service Reston Town Center from the new station every 20 minutes.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:53 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,183,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
The Fairfax Connector Silver Line bus service plans have been established.

Silver Line Bus Routes: Reston Area*- Fairfax County, Virginia

The 505 will service Reston Town Center from the new station every 20 minutes.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:01 AM

7 posts, read 8,863 times
Sorry, I meant Clarendon seems more expensive than BALLSTON, not Raleigh. Obviously all is more than Raleigh.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:56 AM

7 posts, read 8,863 times
If I was coming up here thinking the DC area was about the same cost as Raleigh, I would be in for a big surprise.

Anyways - Clarendon a better area for a mid 30s single guy who likes to hit happy hour type of joints and wants to get into DC pretty often? Or Ballston a better landing spot. Keep in mind, that is with a commute to Reston.

Thanks everyone for your posts so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia