Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 05:09 AM

8,678 posts, read 22,931,729 times

Advertisements

I realize this doesn't help, but I believe you choose whether to live with optimism or pestimism. I would choose the former and be thankful it wasn't a moving violation, pay the fine and move on.

That said, I would measure and if you were close, say 9 feet, I would be optimistic about fighting it. People tend to be all over the map judging distances, including the cop. You don't say how close you are, so I am betting you are not even close to 10 feet. Ignorance of the law just ticks off the judges (for wasting their time). So, pay it and be happy it's not points. You could be about to learn that other lesson....The parking pass can be cheaper than the ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 04:08 PM

9,511 posts, read 9,098,570 times
I wasn't aware of many traffic and parking laws that are in Fairfax country.

Parking Restrictions and Related Issues*- Fairfax County, Virginia

It really restricts parking within ten feet of a driveway. This has to be the most violated law on the books.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:05 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,680,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munkhuu94 View Post
why would they pick on poor students. who already got tuitions, books and more to pay for, which are very expensive.
they can put a permit parking, or no parking sign.

You, apparently have never had "poor students" clean out their cars and deposit a year or two's worth of fast food trash, beer cans, etc on your front lawn.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:29 AM

21 posts, read 93,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
You, apparently have never had "poor students" clean out their cars and deposit a year or two's worth of fast food trash, beer cans, etc on your front lawn.
Don't drink beer, so no cans. And dont have a lawn so...

Old 02-10-2014, 10:40 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,234,328 times
Quote:
Don't drink beer, so no cans. And dont have a lawn so...
The law wasn't created specifically because of you and your behavior, so your lack of cans is immaterial. You seem to have an air of exemption about you. You shouldn't get a ticket because you're a poor student, and the ticket is picking on you. Residents' concern about students trashing their lawns shouldn't apply to you, because you have no cans to toss. Laws you didn't know about shouldn't apply.

And I believe other poster meant the lawns of people that students park in front of, not the lawns of the students who are parking.

Just pay the ticket.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:49 PM

687 posts, read 1,378,231 times
The parking within 10 feet of a driveway is really only enforced if the homeowner complains to the police. It's main purpose is to prevent people from regularly parking in front of someone's house in a residential neighborhood. For example, a person owns 4 cars and parks them on the street in front of their neighbor's homes. People parking in a residential area and then walking to their job. Where I used to live there was one nearby bus stop. People from the neighborhood would drive to the bus stop and park their cars in front of the houses next to the stop. One lady hated that strangers would park in front of her house so she would call the police and have them ticketed.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:10 PM

21 posts, read 93,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
The law wasn't created specifically because of you and your behavior, so your lack of cans is immaterial. You seem to have an air of exemption about you. You shouldn't get a ticket because you're a poor student, and the ticket is picking on you. Residents' concern about students trashing their lawns shouldn't apply to you, because you have no cans to toss. Laws you didn't know about shouldn't apply.

And I believe other poster meant the lawns of people that students park in front of, not the lawns of the students who are parking.

Just pay the ticket.
I will pay it. Your face is air of exemption. The ticket is picking on me. The thing i was mad about was that i did leave space, and i did think of it when i was parking. I thought, i don't want to trouble the house owner, and made sure i left plenty space. BUT whatever, it's a stupid law, and i will pay the damn ticket.
Plus, i asked what are the chances of winning this, not your opinion about your bull.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:25 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,468,449 times
Quote:
I will pay it. Your face is air of exemption. The ticket is picking on me. The thing i was mad about was that i did leave space, and i did think of it when i was parking. I thought, i don't want to trouble the house owner, and made sure i left plenty space. BUT whatever, it's a stupid law, and i will pay the damn ticket.
Plus, i asked what are the chances of winning this, not your opinion about your bull.
So you do agree that home owners need to have their space and curb appeal protected from random strangers who park their car in front of their houses. Rather than keeping this subjective, the law just went ahead and specified the 10 ft distance. And you now find the law stupid only because you failed to maintain the 10 ft distance?

Your chances of winning hinge entirely on your attitude. Step one is to admit you did not know the law and thus, broke it unintentionally. Step two is to make a case that you did think about the home woner and thus left sufficient space. Step three is to accept the outcome knowing that you did indeed break the law.

Good luck!

Old 02-11-2014, 05:16 AM

179 posts, read 299,070 times
Quote:
my defense is that
that i did not know there was such law that says i can't park in 10 feet. i live in arlington, never heard of something like that, or anyone getting ticket for parking close to driveway.
besides, when i parked there was plenty of space behind me, if i knew about this law, i would've parked further.
Let us know how that defense works out...

Old 02-11-2014, 06:55 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,234,328 times
Quote:
Taking your explanations into consideration, I have reconsidered my advice about paying the ticket outright.

I think you should contest the ticket in court, and be sure to tell the judge that you ought not have to pay because the ticket is picking on you, a poor student.

I agree, it's a stupid law, and I'd never heard of it in all the years I lived in Fairfax County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia