Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 05:23 PM

194 posts, read 401,219 times

Advertisements

I have Verizon for my wireless carrier and have for years. I'm kicking around the idea of leaving them for T-Mobile, but I worry about the poor coverage. I live in Arlington Heights (near Rt. 50) and I have NO landline. Does T-Mobile coverage suck around here? Also how it is on Metro? I'm guessing non-existent.

Coverage in other parts of the country/world aren't of concern to me as I only travel out of the DC area maybe once a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 05:45 PM

128 posts, read 158,699 times
I've spoken to many people here who have T-Mobile and many of them seem to like it mainly because of the pricing. I wouldn't think there would be much to worry about in downtown Arlington, or anywhere within the beltway. Verizon is popular because that's the only network which seems to work inside many of the buildings in DC and many metro tunnels and stations, and for that much you really do pay a premium (I know because I have Verizon, and find their pricing is unfairly rigid).

By the way, is your screen name an indication for your love for coffee or your technical expertise?

Old 03-09-2014, 05:48 PM

Coffee. ;-)

Old 03-09-2014, 06:16 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,849,728 times
T-Mobile works fine for me pretty much everywhere in the DC area. Verizon did too.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:57 AM

Yeah, I figured. I had them a number of years ago and didn't have any issues as I recall, but that was long before smart phones. I used to be their customer when they were called Voice Stream.

I'll probably stick with Verizon, though. At least for now.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:03 PM

199 posts, read 334,417 times
I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile a few months back. Basically anywhere in Arlington/DC/most of NoVA you should be fine. T-Mobile's real problem is that their (data, at least) coverage gets pretty crappy real quick once you leave the urban/suburban areas. I assume their voice coverage should be good though, although deep in big buildings you can sometimes lose it. Supposedly they bought some more spectrum to handle that.

I actually don't really use my phone for calling that much, as funny as that sounds. I do get decent data coverage in some of the Metro stations, but I've never tried calling anyone yet from a station.

For me, the pain points with T-Mobile are pretty minor considering I'm saving 30-40 bucks a month over when I was with Verizon.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:27 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,406,678 times
I had T-Mobile for about 6 years before switching to AT&T... there was the normal dropping of calls sometimes or people telling me they tried calling me but I never received it, for the most part their service was pretty good.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:01 PM

232 posts, read 362,173 times
I have T Mobile and have great coverage 4-5 bars around most of the major cities and roads here. That said, at my house here in Sterling NO bars. A block in any direction perfect signal but not at my house.

There is a coverage checker where you put in the address and it can tell you how clear the signal will be.

Good luck

Old 03-10-2014, 06:09 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,259,018 times
I've been wondering about T Mobile as well. I hope to move out to Winchester soon so I need to know about that area. I've had it with Verizon. I've been with them for way too many years now.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingwash View Post
I have T Mobile and have great coverage 4-5 bars around most of the major cities and roads here. That said, at my house here in Sterling NO bars. A block in any direction perfect signal but not at my house.

There is a coverage checker where you put in the address and it can tell you how clear the signal will be.

Good luck
Yeah, but isn't that coverage checker put out by T-Mobile? That's the only one I've been able to find. So of course they're going to say, "coverage at this location is EXCELLENT!" I think I may start asking people in my apt. building as I see them in passing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia