Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 07:30 AM

194 posts, read 400,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opacy View Post
I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile a few months back. Basically anywhere in Arlington/DC/most of NoVA you should be fine. T-Mobile's real problem is that their (data, at least) coverage gets pretty crappy real quick once you leave the urban/suburban areas. I assume their voice coverage should be good though, although deep in big buildings you can sometimes lose it. Supposedly they bought some more spectrum to handle that.

I actually don't really use my phone for calling that much, as funny as that sounds. I do get decent data coverage in some of the Metro stations, but I've never tried calling anyone yet from a station.

For me, the pain points with T-Mobile are pretty minor considering I'm saving 30-40 bucks a month over when I was with Verizon.
I can still comfortably afford Verizon, so I may stay with it. But T-Mobile's prices are definitely competitive. I'm getting lured by the prices, but I think I will go just ONE more contract with Verizon, than make the switch. I wonder if T-Mobile service will ever be improved in the Metro system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 06:29 PM

232 posts, read 361,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkieDC View Post
Yeah, but isn't that coverage checker put out by T-Mobile? That's the only one I've been able to find. So of course they're going to say, "coverage at this location is EXCELLENT!" I think I may start asking people in my apt. building as I see them in passing.
Their coverage chart actually does show the "black hole" that my house is in! Just didn't think about looking for that when I purchased the home. I "assumed" that if my signal was good everywhere else it wouldn't drop within a one block radius.

Everywhere else I have been - Fairfax, Alexandria, Falls Church, DC, Winchester, Charles Town, etc...I have a perfectly good signal with no issues with dropped calls (so far).

Old 03-11-2014, 06:32 PM

232 posts, read 361,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I've been wondering about T Mobile as well. I hope to move out to Winchester soon so I need to know about that area. I've had it with Verizon. I've been with them for way too many years now.
Bigfoot, I haven't had any issues with my signal around Winchester any of the times I have been there. I have spent many weekends around there, Martinsburg, etc...and my signal is good. I will say that in areas like Martinsburg my data speed is definitely not 4G.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:04 PM

373 posts, read 870,760 times
I switched from Verizon to Tmobile about a month ago. I live out in Haymarket, and have been disappointed with the coverage. Voice works most places, but data really suffers, especially inside larger buildings, such as schools. Voice actually sounds better than Verizon, but its because of data that if I would do it over again, I wouldn't. Of course, if I lived closer to DC, it probably wouldn't be an issue. They are improving, so hopefully in a year or two it will be better in the farther out areas.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:02 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,252,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingwash View Post
Bigfoot, I haven't had any issues with my signal around Winchester any of the times I have been there. I have spent many weekends around there, Martinsburg, etc...and my signal is good. I will say that in areas like Martinsburg my data speed is definitely not 4G.
Thanks for the info.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:05 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,096,021 times
I had T-Mobile for over 12 years. This Spring, my new Galaxy fell into water. Unfortunately, I had not purchased the insurance plan to cover this. When I called T-Mobile they said they couldn't do anything for me except send a new phone at the cost of over $400 (the Galaxy was a free upgrade). And they could break it down to monthly payments and put on my bill. The renewed service was under contract and the fee to break the contract ($200 I think) and this fee was far cheaper than paying for a new phone. So I ended up going to Verizon, got a new contract, and got the Galaxy (free) as part of the new service. I

In addition to the broken contract fee, T-Mobile then tried to charge me for an entire month of service I did not use. I had secured the new service with Verizon in the beginning of a month and T-Mobile said that since my service did not end until the next billing cycle, that I was responsible for this one month. So for a single month, I was supposed to pay both Verizon (who supplied me phone service) and T-Mobile (who did not)?!?

In addition, there are no T-mobile centers/stores in Winchester anymore. The only place(s) they have are 2-3 kiosks which are basically 2nd-party arrangements.

I believe Verizon has better coverage than T-Mobile but T-Mobile was actually very good. The only areas I had problems with were (a) a few buildings in downtown D.C., and (b) places with thick forests (i..e, outside Skyline Caverns). T-Mobile has the unlimited 4G service and also includes International Service.

Also, I really like T-Mobile and wish I did not have to leave. I dislike Verizon (from a previous scenario with our landline) but so far, so good.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:21 PM

373 posts, read 870,760 times
Tmobile announced today that all of its 2G areas will be converted to LTE by midway 2015. They are rolling it out, so they expect about 50% conversion by the end of the year. Being at the edge of 4G, I'm very happy to hear this. Hopefully they do the exurbs of DC area sooner than later.

T-Mobile to upgrade all of its 2G markets to LTE by mid-2015

Old 03-13-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleuchan View Post
Tmobile announced today that all of its 2G areas will be converted to LTE by midway 2015. They are rolling it out, so they expect about 50% conversion by the end of the year. Being at the edge of 4G, I'm very happy to hear this. Hopefully they do the exurbs of DC area sooner than later.

T-Mobile to upgrade all of its 2G markets to LTE by mid-2015

2G? I've never even heard of that. I have 3G (Verizon iPhone 4s) and it's horrible. I can't wait to upgrade--just a few more weeks! I'm waiting for the Samsung Galaxy S5 to come out.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:13 PM

810 posts, read 1,025,833 times
2G is basically EDGE.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:03 PM

Now I think I'm taking the plunge. Starting May 13th, T-Mobile is letting Verizon customers test their service by porting your existing phone number to a phone they *borrow* you. During the two weeks, you're still considered a Verizon customer. But after the two weeks are up, they pay your Early Termination fees and fees your paying for the outstanding cost of your phone (up to a certain $$ of course).

This has been what's kept me from cutting the (wireless) Verizon cord: I wanted to test drive T-Mobile first. Now is the time!

Are links allowed? If so, here's one! T-Mobile Targets Verizon Customers with Un-Carrier Trial
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia