Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 09:41 AM

102 posts, read 539,626 times

Advertisements

You've gotten lots of great advice so far. I would pay particular attention to michgc - she knows what she's talking about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 11:08 AM

12 posts, read 38,113 times
With your budget, are you against living in DC for a year? Personally, I'd rent there for a year and enjoy the city life for a bit and get your bearings prior to buying.

MD has excessive taxes. Saw something at one time about the rain water being taxed. Check into that before you think about MD.

I live in the area across the street from the JCC. It, and Mantua is extremely family oriented. While I wouldn't foresee any issue with you being "accepted", I think you may have a time finding your niche.

There are some nice high-rise condos/apt in the city of Fairfax - across from Twins Ace Hardware. Or maybe Crystal Ciity, although I can't attest to the parks nearby (but they seem to be ev.ery.where. here).

There is a community in Alexandria that centers around green space. Has a very nice feel to it. And you could enjoy the night life there too, with great access to the metro. Sorry can't think of name of it.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:41 PM

6 posts, read 7,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by household61974 View Post
With your budget, are you against living in DC for a year? Personally, I'd rent there for a year and enjoy the city life for a bit and get your bearings prior to buying.

MD has excessive taxes. Saw something at one time about the rain water being taxed. Check into that before you think about MD.

I live in the area across the street from the JCC. It, and Mantua is extremely family oriented. While I wouldn't foresee any issue with you being "accepted", I think you may have a time finding your niche.

There are some nice high-rise condos/apt in the city of Fairfax - across from Twins Ace Hardware. Or maybe Crystal Ciity, although I can't attest to the parks nearby (but they seem to be ev.ery.where. here).

There is a community in Alexandria that centers around green space. Has a very nice feel to it. And you could enjoy the night life there too, with great access to the metro. Sorry can't think of name of it.

We are now actually considering living in DC proper for the first year. Can you (or anyone on the thread) recommend a nice neighborhood within DC? The safer the better, and the more greenery/parks the better too.

Thank you everyone on this thread for being so helpful! We're really looking forward to this move.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:45 PM

429 posts, read 1,162,450 times
There are a lot of great places for a young couple in the District. If you like greenery, I'd suggest starting with Cleveland Park or Woodley Park. You'd be close to Rock Creek Park which would give you the green space you want with access to a very extensive network of running and biking trails in the District, Maryland, and Virginia. Woodley Park would also give you most of the major amenities within walking distance and keep you close to Metro. Depending on where on 19th street your husband works, he might be in reasonable walking or biking distance.

Renting in the District while taking your time to check out the details of other specific neighborhoods is your best bet. A lot of factors like schools, taxes, and commute are going to be very specific to your own specific circumstances and address. Don't get misled by generalizations. For example, a previous poster mentiond tax. There are differences in taxes between DC, VA, and MD, but the degree of difference will depend substantially on how much you earn and how you live. I've lived in DC, MD, and VA over the years and have always found the tax differences between the three to be less significant than other factors (like commute and lifestyle).

Good luck in finding a place you love!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia