Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 04:39 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Not dumb, just unfocused. They are so focused on filling their top priorities, they forget that medical is very important as you age.

I had a friend who retired to his dream destination of rural Washington State near the beach. It was a retreat heaven. He suffered a stroke and remained paralyzed on one side for the remainder of his life, which wasn't super long but it was years.

Medical never even occured to him. It wasn't a variable he thought to consider, and he was an intelligent man.

Afterwards, he confessed that if he knew he would have a stroke, he never would have moved to the sticks.

It happens all the time that people move to a lake or mountain hours away from great, life saving medical services and just don't consider the fact that some day in the future they will be old and need those services. And life is wonderful, until one day it isn't.

There are very few places where someone cannot access healthcare. Does being near top quality doctors help fighting diseases such as cancer? Absolutely. But it isn't going to prevent a stroke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 02:48 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nva06 View Post
I plan on retiring in Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Just closed on a beach house in Plymouth that is on the water. Till the youngest goes to college me and my wife will be renting it out. The place I work at since corona has said that I can permanently telecommute I’m gonna do that and once the youngest leaves we will sell our house here in Northern Virginia and I’ll telecommute from there for two years and the best thing is my division has an office in Boston. Sadly nothing is permanent but the plan is pretty solid and my boss knows as well. But our finances can support the second house it’s a good investment it provides a lot of income maybe 58K with a property management company that charges 10% of the monthly rental value between late May through Early September if we charge 4K a week which is kind of the average based on the house and other vacation rentals. And the view is just gorgeous.
beautiful area but Plymouth is not on Cape Cod. You have to go over the Bourne or Sagamore Bridge to get onto the Cape. You're about 30 miles away. I used to live on the Cape.

Old 09-05-2020, 08:59 PM

319 posts, read 278,976 times
This was a pretty awesome post, I'm close to 50, I call the Locust Grove area of Virginia home near Fredericksburg but have lived in Germany, Maryland, Kentucky, Washington State, Florida, and I was born and raised in New York.

Where I live in Virginia is beautiful and you could easily retire here, I own a home here so I probably will do just that and spend my time bass fishing Lake Orange or travel down to one of the rivers for trout, Rapidan, Shenandoah, gods country.

Bucket list dream retirement adventure would be top down on 66 Mustang and driving what's left of Route 66 to the Santa Monica Pier.

Another retirement goal was to go to a ball game at every major league ball park on the east coast, now I've already been to the original Yankee Stadium in the Bronx and Orioles games at Camden Yards. I still need the Nationals, Mets, Red Sox, Phillies, Braves, Pirates,
and Marlins I believe.

Also being somewhat close to Charlottesville tailgating UVA games are fun, last one I attended was UVA vs FSU, normally I root for Virginia but my Florida roots had me on the side of the Seminoles, Fear The Spear!

God has blessed me with a great life, grandbabies, if I retire right where I currently am I would have no regrets

Old 09-07-2020, 02:09 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
I stumbled upon this thread...

I'm going to be 33 in October, but thinking ahead, I don't want to be somewhere when my eyes/reflexes start to fail that driving becomes an impossibility. A lot of my coworkers talk about buying land down south or somewhere rural but once one is 80-85 and driving starts to become a question mark that fishing cottage on the lake 20 minutes from the closest hint of civilization starts to become iffy....

I'd like to move to a college town like Madison, WI, Chapel Hill, NC or Ann Arbor, MI which is small to mid-size, I can walk to all I need without needing a car and still has some life around me but is not a big city. I'm in NYC now and there was a time I could see myself aging here but with the amount of crime rising daily, enabled by our political class, I don't see myself wanting to deal with that at 70+.

NoVA is quiet yet connected enough that I'm surprised more don't see themselves getting older there, but I guess property taxes start to become a concern...

Old 09-08-2020, 05:51 AM

Anything above Culpeper I would not consider for retirement.

Old 09-08-2020, 10:25 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeytangofoxtrotalpha View Post
Anything above Culpeper I would not consider for retirement.
And the reasons for that are...?

Old 09-08-2020, 11:42 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
/NW

I'm wondering if they mean E/NE from Culpeper as it becomes NOVA?

Old 09-09-2020, 09:19 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,011,896 times
I left Rapidan for Wytheville 5yrs ago. Somebody smack me!! Nova seems to be expanding towards Culpeper little by little. Gainesville blew up over the years. It's just a matter of time.
Many years ago a Fed X driver told me he heard a conversation about a planned "central park" (like in Fredericksburg) but in Culpeper. Couple years later building started. Little here little there.....Can't stop progress.

You're in that little slice of heaven Bigfoot, love that area.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
democrats and traffic.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:44 PM

The Burg is a fun place, the history here is amazing and we now have the Fredericksburg Nationals. Friday night Drag Racing at Dominion Raceway. less then hour to Kings Dominion, and some very pretty views, wineries, farms, and Germanna Community College and the University of Mary Washington if you wish to pursue your academic interests.

I hope nobody discovers Locust Grove because its our little enclave that is so close to everything that's fun. I even snagged me a pike out of Lake Orange the other day and I'm planning a Shenandoah fishing trip as soon as the leaves turn pretty.

I know its about personal preference but I would never give up the country for the city, its just not me.

We were excited about the Fred-Nats cause there stadium is built, its on the side of the Fredericksburg Expo Center, but Covid-19 kiiled opening season for them. I have gone out to Mary Washington to watch their baseball team play and I'm not too far from Charlottesville and I have been to their baseball and football games as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia