Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 02:10 AM

21 posts, read 71,324 times

Advertisements

Maryland. I've lived in NC and hated it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 11:30 AM

280 posts, read 1,074,192 times
Personally I prefer NC and would live there if the job market was stronger. Much prefer Outer Banks to Ocean city, in fact we go for two weeks every year and I have to drag myself home. I feel like Raleigh is a lot like Nova, but with a little more space between the houses and a softer, easy going feel that I like.

I've lived in Maryland and spent time in Baltimore, Bethesda and other DC suburbs and while they are very nice, they are just not my cup of tea, I can't put my finger on why, it is just a preference, but I think it feels more urban than I prefer. I'm a country girl at heart.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:35 PM

21 posts, read 71,324 times
I think I would enjoy living around the ocean in NC, but the durham area is terrable. to say the least. I would still choose Maryland over NC. I could go on and on about why I hated living in NC but it would take way too long. Durham is the getto and Raleigh (sp) is pretty nice but just didn't like the area at all.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:55 PM

29 posts, read 339,880 times
Default Either one

I like them both. North Carolina (in my opinion) has a little nicer beaches. Ocean city is great too. I would visit either one. They are both very warm during the summer. By the way, their water is not dirty, Have you been to ocean city or Hilton head? They don't have dirty water.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:19 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,568,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post
I personally like MD better, but economically NC seems to be on the right track... NC is doing great, but I just can't get past the pine trees (I HATE pine trees)

I feel you on the Pine trees....they are everywhere! Damn pine needles in my yard are a pain, along with the sweet gum spiky balls...uugghh.

I don't think you can compare the 2 states really...way too many differences. NC is experiencing a lot of growth, especially from Northern transplants right now, which is beginning to change the feel of some of the bigger cities here (Raleigh, Charlotte). With that being said, I moved from NoVA 2 years ago and so far I love it down here. I don't think I would have moved anywhere in MD and been as happy as I am down here. I still miss home, but I'm beginning to make NC my home now. I've met a lot of people from NoVA here, along with Pennsylvanians, New Jersey, and New Yorkers.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:46 PM

566 posts, read 2,986,998 times
NC...it aligns more with my beliefs, values and politics than does MD.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:06 PM

847 posts, read 3,355,892 times
I lived in Alexandria, Virginia from pre-school until college, then attended a few different schools around Virginia (plus one in DC) until finally moving North in my late 20's. I'm now south in North Carolina, and will very shortly be moving up to Maryland.

Right now, I'm voting with my feet, and I vote Maryland.

I agree that the Outer Banks are great, but I don't think they really represent the state as a whole.

As for the Research Triangle/Duke area, I have to agree with xshadowx that Durham is a complete pit, and Raleigh doesn't have much going on (besides their science museum. That place is great, and free too). So that pretty much just leaves Cary and Chapel Hill standing in that part of the state -- a centerless suburb and a pretty small college-town strip. Not that much to recommend it.

The southern piedmont of North Carolina is waaaaaay Southern. And I don't mean that as a compliment. The comparative urban density of Charlotte doesn't really attenuate its Southernness (is Atlanta any less Southern because it is a city?)

I don't know much about the mountains, but then I don't know much about Western Maryland either. Asheville is cute, but then so is Frederick, MD, so I don't think one cute small town here or there is going to change my opinion one way or another.

So, I guess NC can be OK if you like that sort of thing, but I'll take Maryland over it any day.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:30 PM

1,763 posts, read 6,001,437 times
Maryland!!!

Old 02-23-2008, 02:44 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,656,592 times
I live in North Carolina, I love to visit Maryland and Virginia. I don't think you could go wrong living in any of these states. Though some say they are very different, I see a lot of things that are alike, such as each state has the coast and the mountains. Virginia and North Carolina seem to have more piedmont in between the two. Three very great states!

Old 12-16-2010, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDreamer View Post
I must agree with a previous post that there is NO way anyone can compare the two states. First of all, this is a Northern Va posting area and ANYONE who has had to deal with neighboring state drivers will always have negatives. Also, Maryland is within a few miles of Northern Va and NC is 3 hours South! I have lived in all 3 states and it depends on what you look for! NC is a very boring state coming from the north through Rocky Mt and into Raleigh. Maryland is good tech-wise up 495/270 through Rockville (but can be too melting pot for so many) and into Frederick (which can be too small town for some). The Eastern Shore is beautiful and the crabs are IT!
NC has its Eastern shore as well...but it truly depends on what you are in search of.
All said....
DO NOT LET ANYONE TELL YOU WHICH PLACE IS BETTER!
I am a road warrior and I have many places I find is paradise to me and to others they hate it. I have worked in 20 different cities in the past 15 years...and can tell you. it truly depends what you make it...your personality...your families goals.. and so much more.
I wish you the best of luck in your search for the best place to live. You live ONE life and if you want to discover the place YOU and your family wish to call home...take weekend trips around the regions you are considering. Visit towns..talk to the people.
In any case, best of luck to you!
Warmest Regards
Alan

Allan I totally agree with u. Its ur decision at the end of the day. But what people like myself that want to relocate wants to hear is different voices of opinion on others thoughts that can help us make a decision as to which place is best to move. Also its important to hear others feedback about the neighborhood, crime, schools, hospitals, when u have kids. Cant just get up n move like that especially when u dont no somewhere. Dont want to move n then find out this place isnt as safe asu thought or heard. I rather ask on the internet rather than in person as a part of my research. people cant see me or no who i am n asking someone in person where this place is they gonna know ure new n they rob u, kill u, who knows, Im a woman and single mother so thats important
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia