Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 10:31 AM

633 posts, read 1,014,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
For the 100th time NO IT'S NOT. Officers can and do write speeding and not reckless.
SORRY BIGFOOT, I did not know that. Have been told my many many people, including traffic attorneys, here in NOVA that 80 mph. is automatic reckless driving. But why on earth would you need or want to drive 80 mph ANYWHERE here??! I don't get it. So unsafe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 11:13 AM

9,887 posts, read 14,164,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
Yes! I know that. I am probably one of the slowest drivers out there - get passed all the time.
Which supports the theory that everyone speeds on the Beltway. You, as the slowest, are speeding.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:35 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,429,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoolSlippers View Post
I got pulled over for going 5-9 mph over the 55 mph limit on 495. It's my first speeding ticket in over 30 years of driving. I like the idea of paying it and being done, but I don't want my insurance rates to increase due to the three points that would go on my DMV record.

Any tips for what to say at court? I know the DMV puts the points on your record, not the judge.

Thanks!
Nothing is going to increase because if you haven't been ticketed in 30yrs then you have +5 points, subtract 3 and your still left with positive points. No negative points equals no insurance surcharge. Either way I'd fight the ticket. If the cop wants to be a nit picky douche and ticket you for less than 10 over drag him into court. Worst that can happen is you wind up where you already are.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Worst that can happen is you wind up where you already are.
Not really. If you lose, you'll have additional court costs.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:24 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,430,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Not really. If you lose, you'll have additional court costs.
Court costs are including in the "convenience fee" of the ticket, usually $62. You pay it whether you go to court or not. Plus any +5 driver on a basic speeding ticket that goes to court will at least get a break on the fine as long they didn't get into with the cop during the stop. Most NOVA counties do not offer driver improvement in lieu of the ticket.

Not sure if you've been to traffic court recently, but most people lose. Pretty much everyone pleads guilty or no contest, and the judge offers some sort of break based on their driving record.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Not sure if you've been to traffic court recently
Nope, I haven't. I wouldn't waste my time (which is most definitely worth money) to try and save a few bucks. I've been pulled over once in the last ten years. I thanked the officer and quickly mailed a check.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:49 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,967,413 times
5-9 over is a pretty pitiful ticket. If you're going to get nailed, make it worth it by doing at least 15-20 over. That gives better bragging rights.

Are you sure the speed on the ticket wasn't a break from the cop and that you weren't going a lot faster? I got a ticket for 10 over recently but I was really doing 24 over and the cop cut me some slack.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:39 PM

8 posts, read 9,476 times
Thanks so much, everyone. I agree it's a pitiful ticket, and no, that's as fast as I was going that day. There was another car on my right going the same speed, and the cop was changing lanes to be on either side of us, then on my bumper. Then the lights went on and I thought "wow, really?" Sunny day, traffic was light and moving along.

I would definitely pay and let it go, but my insurance company confirmed (after another call I made, hoping the first report was wrong) that they would raise my rates if convicted, so I'll show up in court and see what happens. Neither rep would/could tell me how much the hike would be. Ironically, I've got accident forgiveness with my *great driving record* but a slow-ish speeding ticket is apparently another category of crime. Ugh.

I'll loop back in a few weeks and let you know what happened. Thanks again for the input.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:57 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,264,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
SORRY BIGFOOT, I did not know that. Have been told my many many people, including traffic attorneys, here in NOVA that 80 mph. is automatic reckless driving. But why on earth would you need or want to drive 80 mph ANYWHERE here??! I don't get it. So unsafe.
No big deal. I've posted many times to the contrary but I know where you're coming from. If you read the code section many take it literally but officers know they can charge for speeding and it happens all the time. There are plenty of people cited for RD but people are also cited for speeding when at 80 or above depending on where they are.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:59 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,264,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
5-9 over is a pretty pitiful ticket. If you're going to get nailed, make it worth it by doing at least 15-20 over. That gives better bragging rights.

Are you sure the speed on the ticket wasn't a break from the cop and that you weren't going a lot faster? I got a ticket for 10 over recently but I was really doing 24 over and the cop cut me some slack.
I was going to post the same thing as this is pretty standard. I pulled many people over for speeding 20 over and wrote it for much less. Of course I don't think the OP is coming back to tell us. Never mind. I see the OP is back.

Last edited by Bigfoot424; 11-15-2014 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: I see the OP came back after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: