Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 03:09 PM

8 posts, read 9,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Are you sure the speed on the ticket wasn't a break from the cop and that you weren't going a lot faster? I got a ticket for 10 over recently but I was really doing 24 over and the cop cut me some slack.
Not sure what he'd give me a break on. I was going the 60-something quoted when I saw the car, and he said that's what he clocked me, and then asked if there was a reason I was driving that fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 08:12 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,435,440 times
The insurance company would have to pull your driving record to see that you were convicted as this is not something the DMV reports to them at the time of conviction. Of course you didn't do yourself any favors by voluntarily calling your insurance company. So I would NOT call or mention this to them again. Why shoot yourself in the foot?

You can always change companies if they bring your rates up as has been mentioned many other insurance companies don't even know (or care) about speeding tickets or infractions until you get enough to get into the negative DMV point balance.

If you are planning to go to court I would get your speedometer calibrated as given that you are in the silly range of 5-9 over a calibration could be enough to prove you 'could' have been not speeding. Otherwise you'll probably just get a break on the fine, but still get -3 points.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:27 PM

553 posts, read 620,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
The insurance company would have to pull your driving record to see that you were convicted as this is not something the DMV reports to them at the time of conviction.
USAA does this periodically, for the purpose of giving Good/Safe/Exemplary Driver Discounts as well as raising premiums for convictions.

I've had two speeding tickets in VA while on USAA insurance (52/35 in 2008, and 68/55 in 2013) and the premium increases were less than $2/month (for the 6-month payment plan). I was +5 each time prior to getting the tickets.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:53 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,710,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber123rd View Post
USAA does this periodically, for the purpose of giving Good/Safe/Exemplary Driver Discounts as well as raising premiums for convictions.

I've had two speeding tickets in VA while on USAA insurance (52/35 in 2008, and 68/55 in 2013) and the premium increases were less than $2/month (for the 6-month payment plan). I was +5 each time prior to getting the tickets.
I was told by them that they run your record at each renewal with is every 6 months. So depending where you are in the cycle, that's how long it takes to hit your USAA record. When you get your new documents, it's pretty easy to see at the bottom of report, your points.

My increases weren't much either. It just really eats into the discounts they give you.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:24 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,704,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I was told by them that they run your record at each renewal with is every 6 months. So depending where you are in the cycle, that's how long it takes to hit your USAA record. When you get your new documents, it's pretty easy to see at the bottom of report, your points.

My increases weren't much either. It just really eats into the discounts they give you.

I don't know the exact name of it, but DMV also runs a service that alerts authorized parties that you have been convicted of a traffic violation. Fairfax County avails itself of this service for us school bus drivers.

If I get a ticket (in any vehicle, not just the bus), DMV notifies Fairfax County immediately. Two moving violations in one year....automatic termination.

It is likely that insurance companies can also use this service. It's probably more cost effective. Why order thousands of driving records when you only want to know which of your insured are getting tickets?

Old 11-16-2014, 04:47 PM

633 posts, read 1,016,802 times
I have lived in Virginia for about 20 years or more now and have positive points on my license for not breaking rules, etc. I think the OP may not be giving us the entire story....

If you live here and make no mistakes, you get + points on your license. Your peeps at US blay blay or wherever you have insurance, would ONLY care if you were using up your points in a negative way. You must have a bunch of positives built up now if you have made no mistakes in driving... Why ON EARTH would you even worry if you had never even received a ticket prior to this? Did you pull your record from DMV online?

A little speeding ticket like this would rate about 3 points.

Why would you mention "accident forgiveness" unless you had an accident? You did not mention an accident initially.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:18 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,145,186 times
Lightbulb test

As a benefit to the OP, others, and this thread, I drove up I95/395 to Reagan airport and back so put nearly 30 miles total. For the benefit of this thread, I maintained 65 most of the way and counted no less than 3 dozen cars pass me at a noticeable higher speed. I saw the usual one or two cars flying past everybody and we usual think those are the primary targets for enforcement.only saw one car pulled over on the southbound lanes near Glebe and 395. Worst traffic risk of the day was a SUV that STOPPED (confused driver) on the split for I95 and I495.
Unrelated, I can't remember the last time that HOV was open on a weekend.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:13 PM

553 posts, read 620,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
I have lived in Virginia for about 20 years or more now and have positive points on my license for not breaking rules, etc. I think the OP may not be giving us the entire story....

If you live here and make no mistakes, you get + points on your license. Your peeps at US blay blay or wherever you have insurance, would ONLY care if you were using up your points in a negative way. You must have a bunch of positives built up now if you have made no mistakes in driving... Why ON EARTH would you even worry if you had never even received a ticket prior to this? Did you pull your record from DMV online?

A little speeding ticket like this would rate about 3 points.

Why would you mention "accident forgiveness" unless you had an accident? You did not mention an accident initially.
A single "mistake" (as you put it) in terms of moving violations may result in a premium increase with USAA, regardless of how many plus points you have in the bank. So, OP's concerns are justified. However, from my experience, with plain old speeding, the increase isn't much.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:54 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,710,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber123rd View Post
A single "mistake" (as you put it) in terms of moving violations may result in a premium increase with USAA, regardless of how many plus points you have in the bank. So, OP's concerns are justified. However, from my experience, with plain old speeding, the increase isn't much.

Exactly. I lived in Virginia for 12 years with no ticket. I have no clue how many "postive" Virginia points I had. I got a ticket and a few months later, when my premium renewed, there it was: 1 point assessed under my driving profile at the bottom of the page.

I don't think USAA takes into account positive points. All they see is that there is report of a moving violiation and they are going to assess the driver with the applicable points.

As for positive point accrual, I think that only matters in the state of Virginia when it comes to whether or not you get to keep your license, suspension, etc.

All the insurance company cares about is that you have a violation. That's what the see and base their rates on.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:16 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,544,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
As a benefit to the OP, others, and this thread, I drove up I95/395 to Reagan airport and back so put nearly 30 miles total. For the benefit of this thread, I maintained 65 most of the way and counted no less than 3 dozen cars pass me at a noticeable higher speed. I saw the usual one or two cars flying past everybody and we usual think those are the primary targets for enforcement.only saw one car pulled over on the southbound lanes near Glebe and 395. Worst traffic risk of the day was a SUV that STOPPED (confused driver) on the split for I95 and I495.
Unrelated, I can't remember the last time that HOV was open on a weekend.
They're open more times than not on Sunday, just not Saturday. But tell me about it. It makes getting in and out of Kingstowne a nightmare, especially when you consider the fact that Frontier Drive in front of the mall is a traffic nightmare right now with construction.

Can't wait to pay $25 to drive to Stafford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: