Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 05:28 PM

8 posts, read 9,480 times

Advertisements

I got pulled over for going 5-9 mph over the 55 mph limit on 495. It's my first speeding ticket in over 30 years of driving. I like the idea of paying it and being done, but I don't want my insurance rates to increase due to the three points that would go on my DMV record.

Any tips for what to say at court? I know the DMV puts the points on your record, not the judge.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 06:13 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,145,186 times
Lightbulb hmmm

Is this post real? So you were bumping along the beltway at 60-64mph and got pulled over and were ticketed? Your only rational excuse to the judge will be that everyone does 60mph on the beltway and see if the judge dismisses the ticket. There isn't much lower to go on tickets; maybe equipment defect but one minor ticket over three decades will not dent your insurance. That's stating you have traveled nearly 400,000 miles over the course of 30 years and got this one ticket. Congrats.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:37 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,435,440 times
Nothing will happen to your insurance - they won't even find out about it. This is a giant myth (that your insurance will go up due to one ticket) that won't die.

Assuming you have a VA license you have +5 points due to 5+ years without a ticket so -3 will still leave you at +2. You'd have to get to like -18 in a year to get your license suspended.

I would just pay the ticket. That's the purpose of the VA point system: that you can get a "free" traffic ticket every couple of years without any ill effects. Sure you could go to court, but they will likely just decrease the fine which isn't worth the time spent going to court.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:43 PM

Thanks for your responses.

Unfortunately, the post is real. The officer asked me if there was any reason why I was going that fast and I told him I was staying with traffic. I wanted to say that I was moving forward but that would have been a bit sassy.

I called my insurance and they did say my rates would increase, which is dumb, but there it is.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:52 PM

15,176 posts, read 27,929,181 times
I find it hard to believe you were pulled over for that speed (although you don't say WHAT the speed was - they don't give you a range, you get a ticket for an exact speed).

Old 11-13-2014, 07:11 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,836 times
My brother got a ticket for drinking and driving. However, he was drinking milk at the time. However, it was milk of magnesia. But it was with a dash of rum. Also, he was on the riding mower, doing laps in the yard. I should mention, though, that it wasn't his yard but the yard of the police station. Oh, and the police station was in Finland, so the ticket was for not being drunk enough.

This is my way of saying I too think something is not accurate in the OP's description. Going even 65 on the Beltway is a sure way to get rear-ended, probably by me. No cop would give you a ticket for going less than that unless you were doing something else worth ticketing. And like Flamingo13 said, it would be for a specific speed.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:18 PM

I found it hard to believe, too, and only came upon this forum when I was searching for information on speeding tickets. My ticket has an exact speed in the range I stated.

Okay, so going over 55 mph in a 55 zone is illegal, but I'm pretty sure I'd get run over out there going 55. So obviously I'm guilty but I think I was driving safely.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:21 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoolSlippers View Post
I found it hard to believe, too, and only came upon this forum when I was searching for information on speeding tickets. My ticket has an exact speed in the range I stated.

Okay, so going over 55 mph in a 55 zone is illegal, but I'm pretty sure I'd get run over out there going 55. So obviously I'm guilty but I think I was driving safely.
Then I would definitely fight it in court. Technically, you were breaking the law, but I have a hard time imagining a judge not throwing that out. That's just a guess, though.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:26 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,213,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoolSlippers View Post

I called my insurance and they did say my rates would increase, which is dumb, but there it is.
May I ask what insurance company you have that would raise your rates for one minor ticket in 30 years??

My insurance didn't raise my rates for a "failure to obey sign" (nice way to say speeding) ticket, nor my husband's speeding ticket. More importantly, they didn't raise our rates for the four, yes four, claims we have made over the last three years for deer collisions.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
May I ask what insurance company you have that would raise your rates for one minor ticket in 30 years.
Rhymes with Blue Mess Say Say.

Trying to not trash a business. Forum rules and all. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: