Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:41 PM

997 posts, read 1,317,497 times

Advertisements

Having moved away, I don't think people are miserable but maybe too caught up in the rat race. Smell the roses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 06:27 AM

814 posts, read 914,870 times
In a mans life work is important but I work to earn a living I do not live just to work. It's a delicate balance between work, family, leisure,it can be found though.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:24 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,510,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
Where am I from? I was born and raised in New York, have a technical degree in mechanics and refrigeration, and served in the U.S. Army during operation joint endeavor. I've also lived in Washington State and Babenhausen Germany, I work for Audi, married 21.5 years, and have 2 boys, I've called Virginia home since 2006, Do I qualify to be your friend?
OK, you were in the Army. I was in the Army as well. It is what brought me to this area. I have been out for a while (A long while) so the Army may have changed. But to me, and now that I look about it I may have been an elitist, nosey bastard back then, among the first questions I would ask anyone was "What's your MOS?" and "Where are you from?". Everyone seemed to know everyone's MOS and where they were from. A lot of people hung out together based on where they were from and some shared rides home on the holidays if they were driving. Is the Army different now?

I am not sure if you qualify to be my friend because where you are from and what you do are nort prerequisites. They are tools I use to make conversation and see if there is something we can start talking about.

Also, and I may be some kind of psychopath, I thought it was common nationwide for people to ask what people do because where I am originally from if you worked in a tire store you may be able to help a friend get tires and if they worked at a tool rental place they may help you with some tools for free or at a reduced rate.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:11 AM

15,471 posts, read 25,919,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Scotch-drinking women are sexy
Before or after you drink it?

Old 01-27-2015, 10:31 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,526,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDonthemind View Post
Living in a place like Alexandria City (closer to the old City near the water) or the Orange Line Corridor of Arlington is really the only way one can tolerate living in Northern Virginia. Basically anywhere outside of the beltway feels like a generic, soulless suburb, that could be transplanted around any major American city and no one would know the difference, except the prices would be 3 times as much and traffic 10x worse.

I live in Alexandria City and enjoy it, but I know that I'll eventually have to move if I ever want to own a house and not be stuck in fairfaxland.
Let me guess, single or married w/o kids?

Old 01-27-2015, 10:54 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,510,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Dude, have some pride in being a NOVAn. At least ask him how much he makes, what he does for a living and where he went to school first.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:18 PM

15 posts, read 21,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Of course. If I had kids, I'd have to give up my urban lifestyle because I wouldn't be able to afford one of the huge rowhomes, and who wants to raise a kid in a condo? That's my main gripe with the area, if you want to live in one of the nice, urban parts, you have to be willing to spend over a million dollars if you want anything but a townhome or a condo. Of course you can buy a larger house further away, but then you're just in a strictly zoned residential area with a nightmare commute and nothing to do once you get there.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:46 PM

15,176 posts, read 27,929,181 times
Quote:
Of course. If I had kids, I'd have to give up my urban lifestyle because I wouldn't be able to afford one of the huge rowhomes, and who wants to raise a kid in a condo? That's my main gripe with the area, if you want to live in one of the nice, urban parts, you have to be willing to spend over a million dollars if you want anything but a townhome or a condo. Of course you can buy a larger house further away, but then you're just in a strictly zoned residential area with a nightmare commute and nothing to do once you get there.
No - you don't - you don't need to spend over a million to have a SFH - you do have to be realistic in that you DO NOT NEED 3,000+ square feet, granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, etc.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:35 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,526,625 times
Quote:
There are a few areas of Northern Virginia further out where the urban dream is somewhat possible.

Winchester, close-in Leesburg, Fredericksburg, or closer in, downtown Herndon or Fairfax -- all of which have good schools K-12 and a price of admission under $600k for a SFH on 0.15+ acres, a Walkscore of 70 or higher, which has been renovated in the past 20 years.

Now you won't get something like Squirrel Hill North in Pittsburgh or downtown Raleigh for that budget. In fact, if you're not tied to the DC area, I'd recommend you find out more about those areas.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:17 PM

814 posts, read 914,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
OK, you were in the Army. I was in the Army as well. It is what brought me to this area. I have been out for a while (A long while) so the Army may have changed. But to me, and now that I look about it I may have been an elitist, nosey bastard back then, among the first questions I would ask anyone was "What's your MOS?" and "Where are you from?". Everyone seemed to know everyone's MOS and where they were from. A lot of people hung out together based on where they were from and some shared rides home on the holidays if they were driving. Is the Army different now?

I am not sure if you qualify to be my friend because where you are from and what you do are nort prerequisites. They are tools I use to make conversation and see if there is something we can start talking about.

Also, and I may be some kind of psychopath, I thought it was common nationwide for people to ask what people do because where I am originally from if you worked in a tire store you may be able to help a friend get tires and if they worked at a tool rental place they may help you with some tools for free or at a reduced rate.
I've been out for awhile myself. I did enjoy living in Germany, MOS 52C, BCT Fort Knox Kentucky, AIT Aberdeen Maryland.

NoVa has more opportunity for higher paid positions but I'm not sure if chasing more money is really worth it when based on my demographic the wife and I do well, here in Orange you can get a 3 bedroom 1 bath for 120k, despite all the prestige and high profile jobs Northern Virginia has, they've about priced out just about everybody who is not making at least 250k, congratulations you've become another Manhattan.

We bring in 110k and we couldn't agfford to have there what we have here so the option is to commute for the sole reason I assume that business never slows down like it does around here, more people, more cars to service, more money for me.

Of course I never lived or worked up there I'm only going by what people are saying about better salaries in the area. That is of course if you can survive the commute, the pretentious, the stress, the rat race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia