Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:39 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,219,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
The fact that pretty much all introductions in DC begin with what you do for a living and where you went to school says a lot. I doubt it's just the DC area, but people in this area don't seem unfriendly, in the sense that they are rude or mean, but just not very open. Everyone is head down.
You're right. It's not just the DC area. It's everywhere. People spend more of their waking hours working than doing anything else. For better or worse, it is a major part of someone's life. The way I see it, not to ask about it sooner or later is actually kind of rude. Not that people are their jobs, but yes, it's usually a pretty big part of their identity, especially if they put a lot of time, effort, or education into their careers. It's just an ice-breaker.

As for where you went to school, DC is very much a college town, to boot, and people often react differently if you went to a local school. I found it to be an advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 10:42 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,172,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I have a well paying professional job in the DC area and meet new people all of the time. I can't remember a time where someone asked where I went to school.............
Well.........that...is............................ .......a question...................... I get all.................the time..............myself.....................

Maybe it's an age thing. Everyone in DC is so defined by their jobs. It is who they are. I don't care where you work. It's like, is that where we're gonna be hanging out? Is that what we're going to be doing on the weekends? Going to your job?

What do you do for fun? What are your interest? Your hobbies? That's a much better question. That's what I always lead with. So what are you into? If I never knew what your job was that would be perfectly fine.

Especially since people in this area use your job to judge your worth. DC is full of snobby preppy people.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:45 AM

15 posts, read 21,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Come to Middleburg and tell me it feels like a generic, soulless suburb.
Well sure, and then I could take a helicopter to work. Might as well live in Charlottesville and commute if you're going to suggest places like that. Also.. middleburg is around 2 square blocks. It's like a roadside attraction. The downtown of Ellicot city is bigger than middleburg.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:10 AM

9,887 posts, read 14,159,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDonthemind View Post
Well sure, and then I could take a helicopter to work. Might as well live in Charlottesville and commute if you're going to suggest places like that. Also.. middleburg is around 2 square blocks. It's like a roadside attraction. The downtown of Ellicot city is bigger than middleburg.
I never said the commute was easy, I was only referring to the comment that everything in NoVa outside of Alexandria and Arlington is a soulless suburban sprawl. It isn't.

And the village of Middleburg has a commercial area of around 12 square blocks and has every type of business or amenity one would need, except fast food or big-box stores.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:36 AM

540 posts, read 791,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
Well.........that...is............................ .......a question...................... I get all.................the time..............myself.....................

Maybe it's an age thing. Everyone in DC is so defined by their jobs. It is who they are. I don't care where you work. It's like, is that where we're gonna be hanging out? Is that what we're going to be doing on the weekends? Going to your job?

What do you do for fun? What are your interest? Your hobbies? That's a much better question. That's what I always lead with. So what are you into? If I never knew what your job was that would be perfectly fine.

Especially since people in this area use your job to judge your worth. DC is full of snobby preppy people.
I have never heard anyone lead with anything like that, here or elsewhere. What do you do is a perfectly good opening. It is a huge part of people's lives and it sidesteps potential touchy subjects (family, etc.).

Old 01-26-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
I have never heard anyone lead with anything like that, here or elsewhere. What do you do is a perfectly good opening. It is a huge part of people's lives and it sidesteps potential touchy subjects (family, etc.).
I agree. I think most people, like me, use it just as an opening. I am in no way judging. I will ask follow up questions whether you say CEO, teacher, rock climber, engineer, or bartender. I'm genuinely interested.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:51 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,497,827 times
I usually ask "Where are you from?" or "Are you from here?".

Old 01-26-2015, 05:51 PM

814 posts, read 912,853 times
Where am I from? I was born and raised in New York, have a technical degree in mechanics and refrigeration, and served in the U.S. Army during operation joint endeavor. I've also lived in Washington State and Babenhausen Germany, I work for Audi, married 21.5 years, and have 2 boys, I've called Virginia home since 2006, Do I qualify to be your friend?

Old 01-26-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
Where am I from? I was born and raised in New York, have a technical degree in mechanics and refrigeration, and served in the U.S. Army during operation joint endeavor. I've also lived in Washington State and Babenhausen Germany, I work for Audi, married 21.5 years, and have 2 boys, I've called Virginia home since 2006, Do I qualify to be your friend?
You would totally qualify to be my friend assuming you have a good sense of humor and enjoy a good beer, wine or scotch.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:13 PM

814 posts, read 912,853 times
Good beer you say? I lived in Germany and where I live in central va we have a few vineyards, it's a lushes dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia