Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 07:38 AM

159 posts, read 278,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliesinbloom View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone! According to HR at my new job, Expedia does require those using their rental cars to be 25 or older. Meh. :/

ICS67 - I'll be staying at the Hyatt Regency, which I believe is right in RTC (judging by Google Maps). I'm glad to hear the area is safe since this will be my first time traveling alone - it puts my mind at ease, so thanks for that. I was wondering about Silver Line, so again thanks for the info!

Flamingo13 - I was interested in checking out some easy nature trails (I'm from AZ so VA is a huge change as far as wildlife/nature stuff goes and it'd be neat to experience it). I noticed there's a lake south of Sunset Valley Dr. called Lake Thoreau. Anything cool there?

Panu16 - Thanks for the list! I'll definitely check some of those places out.

Check out the W&OD trail. It goes right through the Reston. There is trail access 2-3 blocks from the RTC. They used to have a bike rental place in the RTC. It is a great trail to walk, run, rollerblade, bike and horseback ride. Be careful, there is a speed limit but it is not really enforced. 99.9% of my experience, people are very friendly and courteous but stay to the right when being passed.

If you are a museum buff or enjoy aviation or space, check out the Udvar-Hazy museum. It is part of the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 12:21 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,266,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelborne_22033 View Post
This place is a meat market...

That's what I was referring to when I said very active bar.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:23 PM

3 posts, read 2,117 times
JfromReston - Those photos are gorgeous! Now I'm really excited for my trip. (: I'll check out the places you mentioned if time allows. Thanks for the help!

Shelborne_22033 - Wow, there are more things to do in Reston than I initially thought! Thanks for the tips. (:

Old 12-28-2014, 10:08 AM

313 posts, read 552,462 times
OP,

There are quite a few bars and restaurants and shopping in the Town Center. Ted's Bulletin opened this year (try the poptarts!) along with World of Beer (personally, my favorite bar in the town center). Lots of shopping with Anthropologie, Gap, VS, etc if you're into that.

You are absolutely correct about the Hyatt being in the middle of everything. You'll be able to walk to everything pretty easily and most times there are cabs just hanging around the Hyatt if you want to get somewhere quickly (they are expensive tho).

Hope you have a fun trip!

Old 12-28-2014, 02:28 PM

336 posts, read 592,843 times
You could also take a Metro bus from the bus station in Reston Town Center to get to the Metro station to get to DC. However, the buses run mostly during rush hours. You could also take a cab from in front of the Hyatt Regency to get to Metro Station. Plenty of them parked throughout the day and night.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:39 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,253,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panu16 View Post
You could also take a Metro bus from the bus station in Reston Town Center to get to the Metro station to get to DC. However, the buses run mostly during rush hours.
Not exactly true -- there is more frequent service during rush hours, but between the 505 and RIBS2 there is service from 5 AM to 1 AM.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connect...hedule/505.pdf
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connect...dule/ribs2.pdf

Old 01-02-2015, 11:37 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,270,235 times
I say hang in reston and plan to get to DC (via uber+metro) on Thursday afternoon and choose a spot like the national mall to spend the evening. I've been in your shoes and what's one sleepy half day of work compared to a couple of hours in DC while you are nearby. You're 23, have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia