Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 10:24 AM

3 posts, read 2,118 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'll be going on a business trip to Reston, VA from Sunday, Jan. 4th (from 2 p.m.) to Friday, Jan 9th (until noon) and wanted some advice on where to eat, what to visit, things to see, what to avoid, etc. I don't anticipate I'll have too much time to relax since my focus will be mainly on training for my new job so things close to the town center are best (I'm assuming visiting DC is out of the picture since traffic would make for a very long commute). I'm also 23 (not yet old enough to drive a rental car) and have to stick to riding the metro/bus/taking taxis/walking.

Thank you! Any advice/tips are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 05:32 PM

948 posts, read 1,407,747 times
First of all, where are you staying -- in Reston itself? If so, in which hotel?

If you're going to be in or near Reston Town Center (RTC), that's probably where you could most easily spend at least some of your down time, which to judge by what you've written will be only in the evening. RTC is quite safe and features any number of restaurants, some interesting shops, an ice skating rink, and a multiplex showing first-run films. You can check out all RTC has to offer at Welcome to the Reston Town Center.

But since Reston is basically suburbia, you might want to travel farther afield. Metro's newly-opened Silver Line terminates in Reston about a mile from RTC (you can take a taxi or Fairfax Connector bus to get to that terminus). If you don't want to go all the way into Washington by Metro, you could go to the Clarendon Metro stop in Arlington County, which is a major center of nightlife for 20-somethings in northern Virginia.

Have fun!

Old 12-26-2014, 06:19 PM

15,176 posts, read 27,929,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliesinbloom View Post
Hi everyone,

I'll be going on a business trip to Reston, VA from Sunday, Jan. 4th (from 2 p.m.) to Friday, Jan 9th (until noon) and wanted some advice on where to eat, what to visit, things to see, what to avoid, etc. I don't anticipate I'll have too much time to relax since my focus will be mainly on training for my new job so things close to the town center are best (I'm assuming visiting DC is out of the picture since traffic would make for a very long commute). I'm also 23 (not yet old enough to drive a rental car) and have to stick to riding the metro/bus/taking taxis/walking.

As far as I know, you can rent a car at 22? I could be wrong (have been before, LOL)
Thank you! Any advice/tips are welcome.
What kinds of things are you interested in? Physical, shopping, historical, etc.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:03 PM

336 posts, read 593,828 times
I assume that you will be staying within the walking distance of Reston Town Center. Here is the list of (local to DC) restaurants I recommend in Reston Town Center

Clyde's (next to the ice skating ring)
Jackson's (it is a micro-brew)
Paolo's (next to the fountain for Italian)
The cup cake place next to Potbelly is also very good.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:05 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,213,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panu16 View Post
I assume that you will be staying within the walking distance of Reston Town Center. Here is the list of (local to DC) restaurants I recommend in Reston Town Center

Clyde's (next to the ice skating ring)
Jackson's (it is a micro-brew)
Paolo's (next to the fountain for Italian)
The cup cake place next to Potbelly is also very good.
Jackson's is not a micro-brew.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:09 PM

3 posts, read 2,118 times
Thanks for the replies everyone! According to HR at my new job, Expedia does require those using their rental cars to be 25 or older. Meh. :/

ICS67 - I'll be staying at the Hyatt Regency, which I believe is right in RTC (judging by Google Maps). I'm glad to hear the area is safe since this will be my first time traveling alone - it puts my mind at ease, so thanks for that. I was wondering about Silver Line, so again thanks for the info!

Flamingo13 - I was interested in checking out some easy nature trails (I'm from AZ so VA is a huge change as far as wildlife/nature stuff goes and it'd be neat to experience it). I noticed there's a lake south of Sunset Valley Dr. called Lake Thoreau. Anything cool there?

Panu16 - Thanks for the list! I'll definitely check some of those places out.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:21 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,292,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Jackson's is not a micro-brew.
I was wondering at this as well. I've never seen it as a micro-brew. It does have a very active bar.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:09 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,213,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I was wondering at this as well. I've never seen it as a micro-brew. It does have a very active bar.
Most important thing is that it doesn't brew any beer, which really is the first requirement to be a micro-brew.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:48 AM

2,092 posts, read 4,261,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliesinbloom View Post
I was interested in checking out some easy nature trails (I'm from AZ so VA is a huge change as far as wildlife/nature stuff goes and it'd be neat to experience it). I noticed there's a lake south of Sunset Valley Dr. called Lake Thoreau. Anything cool there?
Nice nature trails around Lake Thoreau and also adjacent Lake Audubon. Great restaurant on Lake Thoreau -- Cafesano -- inexpensive italian/greek with great pizza. The Fairfax Connector bus RIBS2 will take you from RTC over to the South Lakes area. Best nature trails are in the Walker Nature Center area in the Snakeden Branch and Glade stream valleys.

Here are some photos
https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...uth-lakes.html

Old 12-27-2014, 07:29 AM

159 posts, read 278,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
This place is a meat market...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia