Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 02:50 PM

22 posts, read 26,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Not sure if that budget for a 3-bedroom will fly close in - possibly but it will be tight.
If you're responding to me, there are indeed several apartments with 3 bdrm ~ $1500 near the Woodbridge and Rippon VRE. I guess my main question is whether these areas are decent? I'll be walking around them quite a bit and eventually will be raising a small kid there ... for a while at least
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 03:27 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj5000 View Post
Hi,

I find myself in a similar situation location-wise. I'm going to be working in Crystal City, and I'm looking for a 3 bdrm apartment for $1500 or less per month ... have landed on Woodbridge as the prime location. I see some of the complexes offer free shuttle to a Metro or are within walking distance to a VRE; I'm looking at these because I will not have a vehicle for a few months.

Any nudges to or away from apartments or areas would be greatly appreciated. I have a small kid so would want to be in a moderately safe area (most parts of Woodbridge seem ok to me).

Thanks!
That's a tall order to want a 3 bedroom for 1300
1500 but you might find some townhouses for rent near Minnieville and Old bridge rd. Consider that you won't have a car, there is a grocery store and other essentials in the strip mall at that intersection. The schools will be better in east Lake Ridge near the VREs. A small single family home off Colby could be a quick walk to that strip mall. The commuter lot has direct bus service to Crystal city for much cheaper than the vre. Also slugging can be an option. I've seen for rent signs but i don't know the price and these are not apartment complexes. I'd steer clear of those for a variety of headaches.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:32 PM

6,589 posts, read 8,462,389 times
Quote:
If you're responding to me, there are indeed several apartments with 3 bdrm ~ $1500 near the Woodbridge and Rippon VRE. I guess my main question is whether these areas are decent? I'll be walking around them quite a bit and eventually will be raising a small kid there ... for a while at least
I'm sure there are people that walk that area and feel perfectly fine with it, but I would not feel entirely safe walking alone and as a female. Most of the crime in Woodbridge occurs in in that general area along Rt. 1.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
That's a tall order to want a 3 bedroom for 1300
1500 but you might find some townhouses for rent near Minnieville and Old bridge rd. Consider that you won't have a car, there is a grocery store and other essentials in the strip mall at that intersection. The schools will be better in east Lake Ridge near the VREs. A small single family home off Colby could be a quick walk to that strip mall. The commuter lot has direct bus service to Crystal city for much cheaper than the vre. Also slugging can be an option. I've seen for rent signs but i don't know the price and these are not apartment complexes. I'd steer clear of those for a variety of headaches.
Thanks! Can you please point me in the direction of the commuter lot you speak of? I'm not familiar with the area.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Can you please point me in the direction of the commuter lot you speak of? I'm not familiar with the area.
It's called "tackets mill" commuter lot. It's at the corner of Old Bridge rd and Minnieville. It's a slug parking, commuter lot as well as being on the PRTC bus route that takes riders to both Crystal city (Pentagon buses) as well as downtown DC (state dept marked buses).

In effect you can get by without a car for a while but I don't think forever like you might be able if you lived in Crystal city.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
It's called "tackets mill" commuter lot. It's at the corner of Old Bridge rd and Minnieville. It's a slug parking, commuter lot as well as being on the PRTC bus route that takes riders to both Crystal city (Pentagon buses) as well as downtown DC (state dept marked buses).\
Thank you! Are the latter buses you mention whs shuttles?

Old 03-10-2015, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Thank you! Are the latter buses you mention whs shuttles?
I'm not sure what a whs bus is but the prtc will show up easily when you search. Just type in "prtc, schedule, lake ridge". There are AM and PM schedules for Woodbridge, lake ridge, Dale city, etc.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:55 AM

20,135 posts, read 16,244,807 times
Woodbridge is cheaper than north of the Occoquan River, and not just in housing costs. Groceries, child care, and gas are generally a little to a significant amount cheaper too. However.... I would never consider Woodbridge a good area to be without a car. You might be able to do it but it is not near as easy as in other parts of Northern Virginia and most of the better parts of Woodbridge do not have easy access to public transportation. The nearest bus stop to my home is over 3 miles away. My daughter used the Omnibus to go to DC but to do so she first had to drive to a commuter lot.

On another note, my husband does the far west end of Old Bridge Road to the Pentagon commute. He leaves a little prior to 6:15 and it takes between 40 minutes to an hour. It takes him about 45 minutes to get home when he leaves around 3:15, although there have been Fridays in the summer where it has taken over 2 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia