Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 08:14 PM

9 posts, read 11,582 times

Advertisements

Ok, so my bf has gotten a job at Marymount university. We have family in Stafford. So far it looks like Woodbridge is the best area for us to move to as far as distance to family and work. I am currently looking for positions but haven't decided yet where I will work. We have a 3 year old daughter. I have a few questions about the commute from Woodbridge to Arlington/dc. We are looking into homes along the I95 corridor and i'm looking more north woodbridge. Like the lake ridge area as I've heard that's one of the better area of Woodbridge.
Can you guys tell me what time serious commuting traffic starts? What's the best public transportation to marymount and DC (more specifically georgetown univ hospital because I applied there)? Have we totally lost our minds? We are moving from Tampa, Fl.
I also need to know about how much daycare runs up there? In home and centers? But my main concern is the commute at this time, as we have family close to the area that can care for our daughter until we figure out daycare! Thanks again and feel free to ask me any questions to help you answer my question!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 08:47 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,584,924 times
Good luck with that...unless you leave at 4am and return at 2pm that commute will be a nightmare

Old 02-22-2015, 09:20 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,113,923 times
There are many commuter options from lake ridge. Commuter buses (prtc), slug lines to carpool, the vre and driving solo. Marymount will probably be easiest if he drives, picks up slugs, takes hov and drops them off at Pentagon. Then drives back a couple miles to marymount.

Most travel options will be an hour door to door. I carpool from the driveway to Crystal city and it often takes less than 40 min because of not having to pickup slugs and can jump right into hov lanes. Depending on your travel method, times may not make that much of a difference.

Daycare is 50% cheaper in Woodbridge and lake ridge compared to Arlington. Depends on the ages but ranges from $1,500 to $2,000 per month in Arlington.

If your planning on renting, your in a renters market right now for SFH's.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:20 AM

9 posts, read 11,582 times
So having a job that starts at 7 in DC still won't really help with commute? And getting off at 330?

Old 02-23-2015, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskylvr1983 View Post
So having a job that starts at 7 in DC still won't really help with commute? And getting off at 330?
Certainly it will help it those hours. Mornings will be more challenging than ride home because hov/hot lanes but overall it depends on where you plan on working. For him, the only realistic option is to drive since Marymount isnt near any transportation routes except local buses. If you end up driving too, then picking up slugs (if that is acceptable) is the most efficient plan for driving into city during those hours or anything on first shift.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:26 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,536,357 times
There is a bus from Woodbridge to Ballston: OmniRide Rosslyn/Ballston AM Schedule. I don't know if that's really any quicker than driving though as it goes a scenic route.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
There is a bus from Woodbridge to Ballston: OmniRide Rosslyn/Ballston AM Schedule. I don't know if that's really any quicker than driving though as it goes a scenic route.
It looks like Maymount university is north of both drop off points on that route. Enough distance where walking might not be considered an option. Map shows the university on north Glebe and north of I66.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:53 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,536,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
It looks like Maymount university is north of both drop off points on that route. Enough distance where walking might not be considered an option. Map shows the university on north Glebe and north of I66.
I didn't realize Marymount was up there. I know they have at least one building in Ballston, so I assumed all of them were there.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:30 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,684,636 times
Just one warning about Lake Ridge. Try to get as close to I95 as you can if you are going to move there. Old Bridge Road is a BEAR and doesn't look to be improving. If you are an earlier commuter, it's okay but otherwise, it's awful. I always wished I had bought my home there but I am now glad I did not because of Old Bridge. My parents live off of it and they can't stand it. They are happy they both recently retired.

Woodbridge is a tough commute if you work "regular" hours and cannot use public transportation. 7-3:30 is doable but it's certainly not "early" enough by some standards. I work 6-2:30 and have a good commute but still hit backups here and there.

If you can afford it, you should look in the Springfield area. Even Lorton will help you.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:12 PM

I agree. The closer to tackets mill, the better commute. Being out by Hoadley and Prince William pwky probably adds 20 min to just get to tackets mill at the 7:30 timeframe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia