Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 12:54 PM

162 posts, read 359,937 times

Advertisements

Definitely look at Vienna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 02:53 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,323,984 times
Agree w JEB. Avoid Mclean. You don't need to pay that premium since you're working in Tysons, and not even during rush hour. And there are great schools on par with Mclean elsewhere. I'd look at several places and get a feel for what you want. Vienna is a good option very close to Tysons Corner. 850 will get you a pretty nice house there but still may not get you as much as you'd think. Housing is very expensive there. You could look a little further out such as Reston, Sterling, Ashburn and get a lot more house. The commute will still be pretty good too. I currently live in Vienna and it's a great town but I accepted a job further out recently so we're strongly considering moving out there. Hard to pass up getting a lot more house for your money and still having a good commute.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:27 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,358,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
You can get a nice house in McLean for $750 and up. Most people consider it to be one of the best communities in NoVa. Not just because its close in. Additionally McLean schools are very good.
Buying a home in McLean for 750 which is very rare btw will get you a not so appealing 3 bedroom home. The average home price being sold in McLean exceeds 1 million.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:28 PM

318 posts, read 368,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcyolo View Post
If you want a newer larger home pimmit hills and the shreve area have a few good options. Pimmit Hills is next to Tysons and some parts are walkable to the tysons metro.

Moderator Cut
My bad, here are generic links

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...3_M62018-31359
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...3_M65468-34012
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...3_M53216-73109

Old 03-02-2015, 07:42 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,505,416 times
I think you will have plenty of good choices and will have to prioritize what is important to you and your family. Vienna, Falls Church City or McClean could all be good choices. Further west could be excellent as well but may limit your desire to access DC if that is important to you.

There will be plenty of shopping and dining options anywhere near Tyson's. DC itself has a pretty good food scene now compared to 15 years ago.

Good luck.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:30 AM

795 posts, read 1,014,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Buying a home in McLean for 750 which is very rare btw will get you a not so appealing 3 bedroom home. The average home price being sold in McLean exceeds 1 million.
Get real, very rare is exaggerated. Plenty of nice appealing $750 to $850 properties pop up often. A quick look on zil-lo I see 6 in that range. Not junkers. For example-Several very nice properties recently sold in the Kirby rd / Foxhall rd area 22101 priced in the 700s. Check the recently sold statistics. You will find that price range is not very rare at all. Plenty of 1 m+ if thats what you are looking for.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:54 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,358,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
Get real, very rare is exaggerated. Plenty of nice appealing $750 to $850 properties pop up often. A quick look on zil-lo I see 6 in that range. Not junkers. For example-Several very nice properties recently sold in the Kirby rd / Foxhall rd area 22101 priced in the 700s. Check the recently sold statistics. You will find that price range is not very rare at all. Plenty of 1 m+ if thats what you are looking for.
Lol get real? Simmer down, I wasn't even being rude to you. This is why you argue with many posters on this forum. Go back to your hampton roads forum if you can't control yourself. I live in McLean, you don't. There are barley any decent single family homes being sold at 750k and I wasnt the only poster who said this to you. Have a great day!

Old 03-02-2015, 09:23 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,540,764 times
McLean is like the Beverly Hills of Northern Virginia just as an FYI OP. If you don't want to deal with the snobbiest of the snobbiest, then I would avoid it.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:43 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,109,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
McLean is like the Beverly Hills of Northern Virginia just as an FYI OP. If you don't want to deal with the snobbiest of the snobbiest, then I would avoid it.
I think anyone from California who comes to McLean expecting to find something like Beverly Hills would be in for a rude awakening. I guess the Tysons Galleria has some of the types of retailers you'd find on Rodeo Drive, but most of McLean is just a bedroom suburb with mostly expensive single-family homes and townhouses, but some more affordable homes as well.

As for the "snobbiest of the snobbiest" comment, I'd suggest that the good people of Arlington, where you live, wrestled that crown away a while back and are in no hurry to return it. I can't think of any other area now where the residents are more likely to tell others everything that's wrong about other jurisdictions.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:49 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,540,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I think anyone from California who comes to McLean expecting to find something like Beverly Hills would be in for a rude awakening. I guess the Tysons Galleria has some of the types of retailers you'd find on Rodeo Drive, but most of McLean is just a suburb with mostly expensive single-family homes and townhouses, but some more affordable homes as well.

As for the "snobbiest of the snobbiest" comment, I think the good people of Arlington, where you live, wrestled that crown away a while back and are in no hurry to return it. I can't think of any other area now where the residents are more likely to tell others everything that's wrong about other jurisdictions.
Key word being "like." I do believe some of those "expensive single family-houses" are known as mansions.

I'm not going to get in a pissing match over your second point, but I would just like to point out that most of North Arlingtonians aren't too good to send their kids to public schools unlike most of McLean. Probably not a coincidence that McLean has some of the only Republican precincts in NOVA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia