Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 07:30 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,435,440 times

Advertisements

The drive from Woodbridge to Fairfax is horrendous during rush hour. Chantilly wouldn't too terrible depending on where you are in Fairfax.

You are not going to find housing for less than <$1K a month in Fairfax unless you want one room with one bed. A long term stay hotel may be your best bet there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 07:34 PM

17 posts, read 24,498 times
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that by "which is it" you mean do I need a 4 bedroom for $2000 or less OR do I need a short term rental for 1 person for $1000 or less.

We need both. My husband will need to start working in Fairfax (downtown) before the rest of us are able to move out there. So he'll need a short term rental (about 2 months) just for him, then we'll be moving all of us into a 4 bedroom rental after that (June).

I think when it's just him there we'd like something as close to work as possible. For our more "permanent" home, we'd be willing to do a 30-45 minute commute (he's decreased the time he wants to drive since I originally posted).

I've found a lot of things on realtor.com and homes.com in our price and size range, but they are mostly in Woodbridge and Manassas. Are these ok areas? According to Google Maps the commute should be around 30 minutes. Is that accurate? What is a good place for newcomers with small kids?

Old 02-28-2015, 09:19 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,364,994 times
What homes are you seeing in Woodbridge and Manassas? We have lived both places, but both addresses cover large areas. They're not necessarily bad, but I'd recommend living closer if you can. When we lived in "Manassas" zip 20112, closer to I95, I drove 15 miles to work. I left around 7 a.m. And it often took about 40-45 minutes to get to W. Springfield.

A lot of places are good for newcomers with small kids. Many of them have already been mentioned in this thread, a couple of times.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:25 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,435,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cement8 View Post
I've found a lot of things on realtor.com and homes.com in our price and size range, but they are mostly in Woodbridge and Manassas. Are these ok areas? According to Google Maps the commute should be around 30 minutes. Is that accurate?
No, it's not. Maybe 30 minutes in late at night or the middle of the day. Unfortunately 66 and 95 are basically parking lots during rush hour and that is why housing is so much cheaper out there - because you sit in traffic for 45 minutes to an hour each way every day. Unless you are working off hours I really would try to find something closer to where you work.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:34 AM

153 posts, read 174,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cement8 View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that by "which is it" you mean do I need a 4 bedroom for $2000 or less OR do I need a short term rental for 1 person for $1000 or less.

We need both. My husband will need to start working in Fairfax (downtown) before the rest of us are able to move out there. So he'll need a short term rental (about 2 months) just for him, then we'll be moving all of us into a 4 bedroom rental after that (June).

I think when it's just him there we'd like something as close to work as possible. For our more "permanent" home, we'd be willing to do a 30-45 minute commute (he's decreased the time he wants to drive since I originally posted).

I've found a lot of things on realtor.com and homes.com in our price and size range, but they are mostly in Woodbridge and Manassas. Are these ok areas? According to Google Maps the commute should be around 30 minutes. Is that accurate? What is a good place for newcomers with small kids?
Hello.

I would check out Craigslist for a short-term rental in the immediate Fairfax City area. Your husband might be able to find a room/bath or a studio apartment that's being let for less than $1,000. It also wouldn't hurt to check with extended stay hotels in the area; however, I think it's going to be difficult to land a rate in your price range.

The commute from Woodbridge and/or Manassas to Fairfax City will be more than 30 minutes, and often more than 45 minutes. As others have said, I would narrow your search to Burke and West Springfield. You will be able to find a townhome in your general price range that's situated in a well-established family-friendly neighborhood with excellent schools and convenient amenities. If you are able to nudge up your price point to $2,500 or so, you will be able to add single-family homes to your consideration.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:30 AM

Thank you everyone so much for the input! Relocating with no experience in an area is hard, it's great to have some locals give info on the areas.

Glad I found you all!

Old 03-01-2015, 08:44 AM

Ok all,

How do you feel about South Riding and Centreville? Arlington and Alexandria?

You have no idea how much I appreciate the real world advice and perspective you're all giving. Thank you!

Old 03-01-2015, 09:06 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,446,502 times
If he's working in Faifax City, definitely city, not county (which is huge) you don't want Arlington or Alexandria. The commutes are horrendous out here. South Riding and Centreville are better. Manassas will be over 45 min in rush hour. I tried looking on MRIS, link below, for under $2300/mo and only found a couple for the zip codes 22033, west of Fairfax City and 20151, Chantilly part of western Fairfax. You can play with that, change residential sales to residential rentals and use zip codes. Hope it works, doesn't seem to link right.

Homes for Sale and Rent in DC, Maryland, Virginia | MRIShomes.com

Old 03-03-2015, 10:50 AM

Definitely Fairfax City, not county. Thank you so much for the info!

Old 03-03-2015, 06:11 PM

313 posts, read 553,315 times
For a family of four Centreville and Chantilly are excellent. Good schools and the commute will be doable.

As far as the short term rental, your husband's best to find a room to rent on Craigslist or go the short term hotel route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia