Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 05:44 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,097,013 times

Advertisements

What are the differences as a resident living in Fairfax County vs City? Things like taxes, decals, personal property tax, schools, anything else noticeable you can think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 12:32 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,319,029 times
I assume by city you mean DC.

RE taxes are lower in DC than Fairfax, so if you are a home purchaser, depending on the price of your home and your income level, you can actually end up spending less in income + RE taxes in DC than in Fairfax. The income tax is higher in DC. I believe sales tax is also higher. Overall cost of goods can be more costly in cities because of logistics of delivery as well as, they charge more because its a city and people have more money to spend. Gyms are a bit more expensive I've noticed, even for same brand comparisons.

Not sure on vehicle/property taxes what the difference is between DC and Fairfax.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:38 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,093,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post

RE taxes are lower in DC than Fairfax, so if you are a home purchaser, depending on the price of your home and your income level, you can actually end up spending less in income + RE taxes in DC than in Fairfax. The income tax is higher in DC. I believe sales tax is also higher. Overall cost of goods can be more costly in cities because of logistics of delivery as well as, they charge more because its a city and people have more money to spend. Gyms are a bit more expensive I've noticed, even for same brand comparisons.

Not sure on vehicle/property taxes what the difference is between DC and Fairfax.
I read the post to refer to the difference between living in Fairfax County and living in the City of Fairfax.

And the only things I know that are relevant relate to the schools - the City of Fairfax owns four schools but contracts with FCPS to operate them, and Fairfax City residents are zoned for Lanier MS and Fairfax HS. When Fairfax HS got too overcrowded, Fairfax City insisted that FCPS move some County students out of the school.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:38 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,460,141 times
I'm pretty sure he meant Fairfax City vs. Fairfax County.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:21 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,352,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post

No I'm pretty sure he meant Fairfax City...... How did you get DC? Are you aware there is a city of fairfax?

Old 03-18-2015, 01:23 PM

526 posts, read 901,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
No I'm pretty sure he meant Fairfax City...... How did you get DC? Are you aware there is a city of fairfax?
That was certainly beneficial to this discussion.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:31 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,352,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorhead View Post
That was certainly beneficial to this discussion.
What?

Old 03-18-2015, 01:38 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,265,421 times
Real estate and personal property tax rates are lower in Fairfax City. Not so much lower that it would influence me if trying to decide between the two and everything else being equal in terms of commute, house that suits me, price, etc.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:42 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,886 times
Quote:
I also thought he meant Fairfax city. I am always surprised how many people live in NoVa, but don't understand that there is Fairfax City, and Fairfax Not-City But Still Called Fairfax. Every time I tell people I live in Fairfax, they get confused and wonder whether I mean Fairfax City or just county and when I tell them neither, I have to explain the whole thing.

I guess that's one reason to live in Fairfax City - you won't have to explain that you live in Fairfax, but not Fairfax City, just Fairfax. Other than that, it's nice not to have to pay the extra taxes for the city or worry about decals or anything (I'm not even sure they have decals).

Old 03-18-2015, 01:50 PM

526 posts, read 901,281 times
Quote:
What?
Not sure what your point was except to say "Wow, are you stupid or what?" Maybe that's not what you meant but it's sure how it came across.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia