Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 01:23 PM

9,890 posts, read 14,174,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
If I rented your place with my baby, who crawls on the floor and eats stuff, I would sue your a$$ to high heaven should she get a tick within the apartment.
Thoroughly clean your place as if you are protecting your baby girl from Lyme Disease.
And I want to know while looking at your place that previous owners had pets there. ( I always ask anyway)
You would absolutely lose that lawsuit, unless you could prove there was a tick infestation that the landlord knew about and then took no action. Merely having a pet in the apartment with a previous tenant is not proof.

There is no way to legally prove how one tick entered a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 01:42 PM

6,573 posts, read 8,431,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
You would absolutely lose that lawsuit, unless you could prove there was a tick infestation that the landlord knew about and then took no action. Merely having a pet in the apartment with a previous tenant is not proof.

There is no way to legally prove how one tick entered a home.
Yep! Heck, the tick could have attached itself to you and you brought it in! ("you" as in leighland)

Old 04-16-2015, 08:56 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,241,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
I've always thought the way to treat fleas and ticks is by treating the animal itself not the house. I don't think fleas and ticks are really the type of pests that are interested in being in a house without warm bodies also present. But, I'm no pest control expert so I don't know. I could see deducting money from their deposit if you visit the house and find a pest problem of some sort but asking them to professionally treat for fleas and ticks strikes me initially as a bit unusual. But, like I said, I'm not pest control expert. I can say that in the last 2 apartments that I rented and also had a dog, I was never asked to pay for flea and tick treatment. Pet deposits, pet rent, cleaning the carpets, yes. Pest control, no.
Understanding the Flea Life Cycle | petMD

Quote:
There are four stages in the life cycle of a flea: egg, larva, pupa, and adult. Depending on the environmental temperature and humidity levels, the total life cycle will take anywhere from a couple weeks to many months.
Flea eggs land in the carpet. They can lie dormant for a long time if it's cold, and then hatch when it's warmer. Even after hatching, there is a stage where the flea is in a cocoon.

Quote:
The cocoon protects the pupae for several days or weeks before the adult flea emerges. If environmental conditions are not right for emergence, the cocoon can protect the developing flea for months, and in some cases, years.

Cocoons have a sticky outer coating that allows them to hide deep in the carpeting and not be easily removed by light vacuuming or sweeping. The cocoon also serves to protect the developing adults from chemicals.

It's not unusual at all for a lease allowing pets to either require the out-going tenant to get the place professionally cleaned and treated, or state upfront that there is a non-refundable pet deposit for this reason.

I once lived in a group house that had several cats and one summer, a flea problem. It was quite an ordeal to get the place down to no fleas jumping on your legs.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:22 PM

18 posts, read 23,740 times
Will you give your future tenants a background check or a credit check?

Old 04-25-2015, 06:28 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,501,689 times
If I were you the first thing I would do is get rid of the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia