Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 09:49 AM

325 posts, read 337,532 times

Advertisements

The Manassas Mall looks like it has been struggling...it lost both the Target and JCPenney. Manassas is a little more like mixture of ethnic groups, white, black, Hispanic in the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 11:52 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,494,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiagirl18 View Post
Hello,

I was considering moving to Manassas next summer, as I am desperate to get out of Baltimore. I am looking for a nice affordable area that is family oriented and not ghetto. I really like Nova and Manassas seems to be the most affordable area. I also have two children. One will be in high school next year and one is in elementary school. I've been doing some research and was wondering how bad the immigrant population was there. People have claimed that Manassas has gone down hill due to the immigrants. I wanted to know how true this was. Thanks!!
Will you not be an immigrant if you move to Manassas?

Old 09-04-2015, 05:22 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,017,843 times
Manassas is nothing like the rest of the DC burbs... It's really an outpost and very blue collar, working class, and yes there are many, many immigrants and illegals there, although not all are Spanish-speaking. Manassas is cheap to live in compared with the nearer to DC NOVA burbs. Manassas is better than Springfield, but only because it has better roads than Springfield. If you want better schools, try for the Leesburg area, or Loudoun county if you can afford it.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:13 AM

148 posts, read 178,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Will you not be an immigrant if you move to Manassas?
Do you own a dictionary? Or are you just kidding, or a moron.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:41 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,255,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloyd View Post
Do you own a dictionary? Or are you just kidding, or a moron.
Guess your sarcasm meter must be broken?

Old 09-05-2015, 06:03 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,674,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
Manassas is better than Springfield, but only because it has better roads than Springfield.
How are you coming up with that assessment (knowing, of course, that this is all rather subjective)?

You are basically saying that, all things being equal, Manassas and Springfield are the same but you give the bump to Manassas because they have better roads?

I don't live in either place, but have been to both and for many, many reasons that seem to appeal to the general population, Springfield takes the prize. Location, school system, ease of commute to DC, and in keeping with the spirit of the OP's question, has less recent immigrant population (I would have no clue whether people are legal or illegal). Most of the reason is that Springfield's prices are higher which sort of shuts out low-wage workers.

Manassas WILL have more newer construction and they will have cheaper prices. If you need to work in Gainesville or somewhere like that, it will have the better commute.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:46 PM

429 posts, read 954,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiagirl18 View Post
Thanks! I wanted to make a correction with my first entry. I have nothing against American Latino's. As long as there's no racial tensions. It's the illegal immigrants. I was looking to rent a townhome for around $1300.
That will be difficult. I live in Manassas and the large Hispanic population has really driven up the rent here. They don't mind living several to a home and all pitch in toward the rent so landlords realized since they could raise the rents and still always get tenants, that's what has happened. Rental housing is in high demand and the rents have risen dramatically. Most 3 br townhomes in this area are renting for 1800 and up.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:21 AM

20,127 posts, read 16,183,823 times
Is there a particular reason you are looking in the DC area, such as that's near where you work? If you are just looking for the general vicinity, Stafford and Fredericksburg at much better suited for your price range.

I agree with the comments about comparing Baltimore's crime rate and even the armpits of Northern Virginia - you would be hard pressed to find a place here that wasn't better. The entire area has a low crime rate in comparison to population density. You'll most likely be taking a significant step in the right direction when it comes to public schools also - they are academically better and definitely safer.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:40 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,017,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
How are you coming up with that assessment (knowing, of course, that this is all rather subjective)?

You are basically saying that, all things being equal, Manassas and Springfield are the same but you give the bump to Manassas because they have better roads?

I don't live in either place, but have been to both and for many, many reasons that seem to appeal to the general population, Springfield takes the prize. Location, school system, ease of commute to DC, and in keeping with the spirit of the OP's question, has less recent immigrant population (I would have no clue whether people are legal or illegal). Most of the reason is that Springfield's prices are higher which sort of shuts out low-wage workers.

Manassas WILL have more newer construction and they will have cheaper prices. If you need to work in Gainesville or somewhere like that, it will have the better commute.
Yeah I would give it a subjective better rating than Springfield due to the quality of roads and accessibility. Also Manassas is surrounded by wealthier suburbs, but Springfield in my opinion is not. Springfield loses major points for me by having terrible roads that are in disrepair, and the cars that are driving around there are in terrible shape so it seems they have less incentive to not bump into you, even in the parking lots.

Manassas is accessible by 66, which is easier to use especially during rush hour, compared with Springfield which is accessible by 95, which is an absolute nightmare to deal with during rush hour, and also is not as well maintained as 66. 66 is smoother to drive on and is better maintained.

I know a few people who went to school in Mansassas and my impression is that it doesn't have that bad of a school system. I can't speak much for the Springfield school system. Springfield seems to attract a higher amount of very recent immigrants (both illegal and non-illegal) and my impression is that few people there speak English (every time I have been there, and I also lived there briefly).
If I had to choose between the two I would choose Manassas because it's in close proximity to some interesting things like the Battlefield park, outdoor water parks in Loudon and Fairfax counties, the Reston Zoo, etc. Manassas is a short drive from all these things. Springfield however, the only thing it has nearby is the Occoquan. Purely subjective.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:54 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,674,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
Yeah I would give it a subjective better rating than Springfield due to the quality of roads and accessibility. Also Manassas is surrounded by wealthier suburbs, but Springfield in my opinion is not. Springfield loses major points for me by having terrible roads that are in disrepair, and the cars that are driving around there are in terrible shape so it seems they have less incentive to not bump into you, even in the parking lots.

Manassas is accessible by 66, which is easier to use especially during rush hour, compared with Springfield which is accessible by 95, which is an absolute nightmare to deal with during rush hour, and also is not as well maintained as 66. 66 is smoother to drive on and is better maintained.

I know a few people who went to school in Mansassas and my impression is that it doesn't have that bad of a school system. I can't speak much for the Springfield school system. Springfield seems to attract a higher amount of very recent immigrants (both illegal and non-illegal) and my impression is that few people there speak English (every time I have been there, and I also lived there briefly).
If I had to choose between the two I would choose Manassas because it's in close proximity to some interesting things like the Battlefield park, outdoor water parks in Loudon and Fairfax counties, the Reston Zoo, etc. Manassas is a short drive from all these things. Springfield however, the only thing it has nearby is the Occoquan. Purely subjective.
Definitely subjective. I have the total opposite opinion of the two areas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia