Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 01:37 PM

28 posts, read 30,580 times

Advertisements

I'm curious if there's any monthly expenses I may not be aware of that typical NOVA residents incur. Here's what I expect to be paying for
*rent
*utilities
*tv & net
*food

Is there anything else I should be aware of? Is all parking permit based or are some streets free to park on. How does this property tax on vehicles work? I want to have a good idea of my monthly expenses. I'm estimating $2000 a month (ROUGHLY) for everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 04:10 AM

1,110 posts, read 895,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds560 View Post
I'm curious if there's any monthly expenses I may not be aware of that typical NOVA residents incur. Here's what I expect to be paying for
*rent
*utilities
*tv & net
*food

Is there anything else I should be aware of? Is all parking permit based or are some streets free to park on. How does this property tax on vehicles work? I want to have a good idea of my monthly expenses. I'm estimating $2000 a month (ROUGHLY) for everything.
Property taxes are based on the current value of the car. You will need to register your car, once you find a place to live, that is. If you live in Alexandria, be prepared to also pay for a parking sticker (about $25). If you live near Old Town or certain parts of Arlington, parking is metered on the popular streets.

I would move down here, put your stuff in storage and not commit to a permanent location until you get a job. The National Park Service also employs history buffs and historians, see

Work with Us (U.S. National Park Service)

Also see these sites for other ideas:

Internship/Employment Opportunities | NOVA's Historic Preservation Program

Careers and JobHQ

Keep us posted on your progress!

Old 11-11-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
Property taxes are based on the current value of the car. You will need to register your car, once you find a place to live, that is. If you live in Alexandria, be prepared to also pay for a parking sticker (about $25). If you live near Old Town or certain parts of Arlington, parking is metered on the popular streets.

I would move down here, put your stuff in storage and not commit to a permanent location until you get a job. The National Park Service also employs history buffs and historians, see

Work with Us (U.S. National Park Service)

Also see these sites for other ideas:

Internship/Employment Opportunities | NOVA's Historic Preservation Program

Careers and JobHQ

Keep us posted on your progress!
I think this is a good idea, and there are a few positions I wasn't aware of that I will be applying for. My main concern right now is housing. Is there a better alternative than Craigslist to find housing? I'm heading back to Alexandria from the 20th-23rd and I plan on grabbing a local newspaper and looking at apartments and rooms over that 4 day period. I'm not opposed to picking up some type of part time / seasonal work until I get on my feet (FedEX, cashier, server, etc).

I'm estimating the average individual income is more than $50,000 a year? At an entry level I think I can expect $35-38,000?

Old 12-04-2015, 09:58 AM

I really don't want to give up on this dream, but the area is "expensive" to an extent. During my last trip, I visited several apartment complexes. I noticed that, unlike most of NJ, there are median salary requirements, applications to fill out, credit checks, etc. I hate to draw parallels, but that doesn't exist in most of New Jersey. We have multi family homes where the owner rents out the 2nd and 3rd floor to tenants. At any rate, I definitely need a job before I can consider moving, unless I find someone renting a room that I get along with.

As far as the trip goes, I again, had a great time in Alexandria. It's great being able to walk around late at night and not feel like I'm going to get mugged. I'm really not opposed to other parts of NOVA if the rental rates are slightly less expensive. Do metro lines go out to Centreville, Reston, Fairfax?

I'm debating this move with a move to Philly. Philly is a lot cheaper, but there aren't as many jobs in the field I want. I'm going to have to keep weighing the pros and cons over this month, apply for jobs like crazy, and hope for the best come January.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:37 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
Quote:
Do metro lines go out to Centreville, Reston, Fairfax?
Metro goes to Reston, but not Centreville or Fairfax.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:35 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,288,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Metro goes to Reston, but not Centreville or Fairfax.
Metro does go to Fairfax... Vienna Fairfax Metro stop.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:18 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
Metro does go to Fairfax... Vienna Fairfax Metro stop.
Sorry I was thinking the city of Fairfax - and not considering Vienna and Fairfax to be the same place.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:15 AM

9 posts, read 9,971 times
Quote:
During my last trip, I visited several apartment complexes. I noticed that, unlike most of NJ, there are median salary requirements, applications to fill out, credit checks, etc. I hate to draw parallels, but that doesn't exist in most of New Jersey. We have multi family homes where the owner rents out the 2nd and 3rd floor to tenants..

There are salary requirements, applications to fill out and credit checks to fill out if you're renting an apartment in NJ as well. Renting a room in someone's house is an altogether different situation no matter what state you are in so saying that doesn't exist in most of NJ is inaccurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia