Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 08:27 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,544,970 times

Advertisements

Here is a case in point for those who say that bicyclists should ride on shoulder/not take an entire lane, although generally I try to avoid such situations:

UPDATED: Driver Who Struck, Killed Bicyclist in Bethesda Won't Face Criminal Charges - Bethesda Beat - Bethesda, MD
Quote:
Officials with knowledge of the incident said Freeman was on his way to a nearby construction site for work when he mistakenly swerved into Holden, who was riding on the shoulder of the road.

Surprised the police didn't posthumously charge the bicyclist even though it's pretty clear the driver should be in jail. Maybe I'll "accidentally" swerve and hit some people on Wilson Boulevard and see if I can get away with it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 08:36 AM

15,176 posts, read 27,929,181 times
see below

Old 12-18-2015, 08:37 AM

15,176 posts, read 27,929,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Maybe I'll "accidentally" swerve and hit some people on Wilson Boulevard and see if I can get away with it...
What a disgusting thing to say.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:45 AM

16,211 posts, read 11,391,722 times
With my apologies to a substantial minority who do behave responsibly, no single group more personifies both the arrogance and the pettiness common to the Politically Correct elite more than cyclists; they flout the law, they tend to "gang up", and deliberately interfere with those who see things from a different perspective, and they will invariably run whining to a supposed authority figure, or a lawyer, when their views are challenged. The fact that a disproportionate share of them are young and unencumbered by the responsibilities of adulthood merely adds fuel to the fire.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:09 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,213,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The fact that a disproportionate share of them are young and unencumbered by the responsibilities of adulthood merely adds fuel to the fire.

Most of the cyclists I see in the DC area are in their 30-50s; very much encumbered by the responsibilities of adulthood.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:12 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,510,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Most of the cyclists I see in the DC area are in their 30-50s; very much encumbered by the responsibilities of adulthood.
It is hard to take 220 pounds of sausage stuffed into a 180 pound sausage casing as responsible or adult.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:01 AM

6,131 posts, read 8,016,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
What a disgusting thing to say.
True, but hardly surprising. A few posts up he also said he was going to intentionally run down pedestrians on his bike.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:57 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,544,970 times
I was almost murdered on the Memorial Bridge this morning. Following the law, biking in the road because of the unshoveled sidewalks, this angry suburbanite beeps his horn at me and passes me extremely close. There was zero reason for this as the road was wide open. He may even have broken the law (you are not supposed to pass extremely close).

But fortunately for me, I caught him at the next stoplight he got stuck at to let him know what I thought. He was a little stunned but I doubt he will be honking at bicyclists again (funny how people aren't so brave when they're met face-to-face with someone and not just random joe behind a horn). I guess getting to work 10 seconds quicker is worth murdering a bicyclist.

Just thought I'd share a bicyclists perspective for some of you that seem clueless about some of the crap we have to deal with.

And word to the wise -- if you're going to show your ass to a cyclist, you better make sure he's not going to be passing you at the next stop light.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:13 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,510,972 times
Quote:
I was almost murdered on the Memorial Bridge this morning. Following the law, biking in the road because of the unshoveled sidewalks, this angry suburbanite beeps his horn at me and passes me extremely close. There was zero reason for this as the road was wide open. He may even have broken the law (you are not supposed to pass extremely close).
You have admitted that you do not mind breaking the law so why should I be concerned when you site that someone else may be breaking the law? Even though you may have an internal double standard I do not agree with it.
Quote:
But fortunately for me, I caught him at the next stoplight he got stuck at to let him know what I thought. He was a little stunned but I doubt he will be honking at bicyclists again (funny how people aren't so brave when they're met face-to-face with someone and not just random joe behind a horn). I guess getting to work 10 seconds quicker is worth murdering a bicyclist.
I drove this bridge this morning and it was stupid. There was a new(?) VW just stopped in the right lane. I cannot see why someone would bike this area this morning.
Quote:
Just thought I'd share a bicyclists perspective for some of you that seem clueless about some of the crap we have to deal with.
OH, OK, Thanks.
Quote:
And word to the wise -- if you're going to show your ass to a cyclist, you better make sure he's not going to be passing you at the next stop light.
Or have a gun.....or be able to defend yourself against the person who has been riding a bike and may be tired.

I find bike people obnoxious, not scary. Well some of the old guys in spandex is scary.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:38 PM

82 posts, read 109,641 times
Quote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...p-enforcement/

The old people in Old Town really need to get a life. I bike through this intersection every now and then and never really see any issues.

One time I biked through here and there were a bunch of old people yelling at bicyclists to make sure to stop. Naturally, I made sure to run the stop sign because I'm not listening to a bunch of old people yelling at me.

I would be more understanding if this was a major intersection like King & Henry or King & Patrick. The only reason I really ever go to Old Town is if I'm biking down the Mount Vernon Trail, but I rather not have to deal with this crap.
and you are the reason people are cheering on bicyclists snipers in san fran.
(leader of a bike group killed while biking in traffic w/group by a rooftop sniper.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia