Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 06:41 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,110,504 times

Advertisements

Now we're rehashing what was already written. You logic of common sense doesn't make sense. So you are not okay with a legally zoned gun store NEXT door but maybe three doors down is okay? Your subjectivity in decided where businesses can or cannot locate is not only illegal but unsupportable.

You know exactly where it is okay to have gun stores based on your feeling of what is right? Not legally defined but a "I'll know it when I see it" mentality. It doesn't matter what business we're discussing but a minority opinion doesn't translate to even being able to enforce city zoning laws. Your earlier logic is that cigarettes haven't killed as many people (in mass killings) as guns. See your selective enforcement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 07:00 PM

9,887 posts, read 14,159,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
as a son of a retired Coronel, .
"as the son of a retired Coronel"?? Really? One would think you would know how to spell it.....and a typo not a likely answer as the "r" and "l" aren't anywhere near each other on the keyboard.

As a granddaughter of a retired US Army Colonel, the spelling of the title was ingrained in my head, as I was often writing thank you notes, invitations, or other correspondence to him or his friends.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:29 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,569,906 times
Whatever. It's called auto correct. get over yourself.

I agree, this is just rehashing garbage.

I don't know why I waste so much of my life on this junk. I think I've gone far enough with this forum. It's just the same handful of people who always seem to get into an argument with eachother over petty and useless crap by page two. Time for me to delete this bookmark and hit the road. Take care!

Mods, thanks for the info over the past couple of years. Some good stuff here and there. Feel free to delete my account at this point though.

Later.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Whatever. It's called auto correct. get over yourself.

Cool.....my auto correct doesn't correct with non-common words, but I'm glad yours includes smaller cities in Chile.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:41 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,110,504 times
And over 700 reputation. That's more than Hillary.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:53 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,736,297 times
Wasn't going to get back into this thread, but.....can't....resist.....black hole of logical fallacy too strong....my replies in bold below.

Quote:
...[LEOs are] trained. They're evaluated. They're trusted. I am sure your time in the PD granted you much the same training, evaluation and trust before they put the holster on you. If you personally want a substantial weapon - you personally have likely proven to society that you can be trusted with it. It's all of the others that don't have your background that are the problem, and that your gun-loving position is helping get their hands on these devices. They hide in your wake.

Better background checks/mental-health screening/required firearm training is an idea most gun owners support. But nothing is perfect in a population of millions. There are, after all, a few rogue cops out there and a few rogue military members (e.g., Nadal Hassan). Saying only LEOs should have guns just means the truly insane who are never diagnosed will still be armed and that mass shooters will continue to murder scores of people before the police can get there.

Have your f'n guns. Fear the government.

Pretty sure he works for/with the government--as do I and a lot of gun owners. Most gun owners arm themselves to defend against potential mass shooters and home invaders. To imply that most or all are like the fringe element prepping for a rebellion is a cheap shot and a specious argument.

Just don't expect society to warmly accept your position when you put it this close to our children, like putting your f'n gun shop next door to our elementary school.

So those of us who are support the right of the shop to be there are not part of society? And according to Ralph Kirk above, the store is not even visible from the school.

My son knows about guns. He'll be the first to tell you that "guns suck". He knows the difference between a water gun and a real gun. He doesn't want any toy that resembles a real gun. He got one for his birthday last year, and politely gave it back to his friend's parents who gave it to him because, and I quote a 7-year old, "I think guns are for bad people". Might be off with his total thinking, but at 7 years old, I'm thrilled he associates the two together. He'll learn more as he grows up.

I recently saw a great bumper sticker at work: "Good guys with guns kill bad guys with guns." I wish France had legal concealed carry. A lot of lives could've been saved last month.

You were onto something when you said LEOs are screened/evaluated; so are CCW permit holders. A person need not become a LEO to prove himself/herself mentally stable, law-abiding, and trustworthy with a weapon.

To the point about the neighborhood sales. Time will prove that position to be accurate. Schools rule a neighborhood's appeal. It's residential development 101 for the detached home builder.

While good schools do help home values, some pricey neighborhoods have so-so (or worse) schools--e.g., all of NW DC, Arlington Ridge/Aurora Hills, Del Ray, City of Alexandria, Lake Barcroft.

At any rate, the presence of a discreet,secure, orderly shop 3 blocks away is not going to ruin the school or drive home values down. If that were true, then McLean would have seen its prices drop already--because this shop is not new.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:34 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,262,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
"as the son of a retired Coronel"?? Really? One would think you would know how to spell it.....and a typo not a likely answer as the "r" and "l" aren't anywhere near each other on the keyboard.

As a granddaughter of a retired US Army Colonel, the spelling of the title was ingrained in my head, as I was often writing thank you notes, invitations, or other correspondence to him or his friends.

You're a GIRL? I always assumed guy so pardon me. LOL.

I feel the same way when I see people spell German Shepherd as shepard or some variation. If you own one then you should be able to spell the name.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:08 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,736,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I feel the same way when I see people spell German Shepherd as shepard or some variation. If you own one then you should be able to spell the name.
I've talked about getting another one (a male) and naming him Alan Shepard. But that would help perpetuate the annoyingly frequent misspelling. Or perhaps Perd Hapley. (We have a female now; I wanted to name her Cybill, but the wife said no.)

Old 12-31-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
You're a GIRL? I always assumed guy so pardon me. LOL

Yes, a girl. Always have been, always will be.

It seems a lot of people on CD mistake me for a male; thankfully that has never happened in real life.

Last edited by spencgr; 12-31-2015 at 07:15 AM..

Old 12-31-2015, 07:05 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,461,748 times
Funny how our minds work when dealing with strangers on a message board. I assumed NC211 was a female.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia